Author Topic: riding the ABC lines of Nebraska  (Read 5743 times)

Offline Daniel Kalal

• Gaggle Hero
  • Daytona, Stelvio [Kansas]
    • Trip Reports
riding the ABC lines of Nebraska
« on: January 31, 2015, 06:22:48 PM »

The 1870s was a time of extraordinary changes throughout the great plains.   Several railroad companies were extending their lines west as fast as they  could, while at the same time land that had never seen a plow was being  homesteaded at a tremendous rate.  

The railroads needed towns and the towns needed the railroads.

And the new towns needed names.  After exhausting every last name of  the railroad board of directors and every hometown back east, a couple of  lines started to get creative.  The Burlington & Missouri labeled their  towns A-B-C...  and then filled in the full names.  Evidently the  St. Joseph & Denver City thought that was such a good idea, they did the  same thing.

This would be a ride from A-to-L and then from L-to-A over both of these  lines. The towns that start with -J-, -K-, and -L- are shared by both.

Nebraska

If you look though historical references, you'll see that the names of some  of the towns were in flux for a few years even if the ABCs stayed the same.   But, by the mid-1870s the names were set.

I'll be starting on the St. Joseph and Denver City Railroad with the town  of Alexandria.

It is still an active line.  Trains were coming by at least every  thirty minutes. Many were hauling coal and the rest general freight.

Alexandria.  This is one town that recognizes the history of their  name and proudly displays it.  This being January, the small creeks are  iced.

Like nearly all railroad towns in the Great Plains, Main Street extends  perpendicular to the tracks.

Belvidere.

This town recognizes that there are plenty of people out there who like  nothing better than to sit in the shade and watch the trains go by.   The town welcomes them.

Carleton.

The big locomotives make a lot of noise at the crossings, but they're not  going to slow down for any of these towns.

Davenport.

Hauling coal.  I assume the empties return on a different route; in any  case, I didn't see any going the other direction.

It's more common to see farm houses that look like this than otherwise.   It just doesn't take as many people (and as many farms) as it did in 1880.

Edgar.

No matter what make or year your tractor might be, I'm sure parts can be  found to keep it running.

The old St. Joseph and Denver City Railway is now folded into the Union  Pacific.

Fairfield.

Glenvil.

Unpaved residential streets are pretty common.

Hastings is far and away the largest and most successful of the ABC  towns.

Ingleside.  Where is Ingleside?  My coordinates put it right  here.

This is it.  The Hastings Regional Center has apparently been  through a number of names (starting with “State Asylum for the Incurably  Insane”) and is now a treatment center for Juvenile Chemical Dependency.

The Burlington & Missouri River Railroad is mostly north of the St.  Joseph & Denver City, but the two lines converge around here.  I   believe the -J-, -K-, and -L- towns to follow were created by the Burlington  Line.

Juniata.

Kenesaw.

Reaching the final town of Lowell will take a bit more effort--I cannot  simply follow the tracks.  The tracks have long been relocated elsewhere,  and poor Lowell lost out.

Lowell was once a thriving boom town and was even the county seat.   Those days are all gone with only an historical sign to remember them by.

Crossing the Platte River would have been a reason for shifting the route  of the railroad.  As newer bridges were built, some towns were bypassed  and new ones were created.  Winners and Losers.

Inland still has a school, but little else.

Harvard.

Graffton.

Fairmont.

I returned to Fairmont the next morning, but as the temperature was still  below thirty degrees, I prudently waited in the cafe for things to warm up.

Exeter.  You'll see the BN&SF train at the crossing.  The  Burlington Northern & Santa Fe has folded in the old Burlington & Missouri  River Railroad.

Dorchester.

Crete.

Berks...  Where is Berks?  I knew this one would be a hard one  to find.  I had the coordinates of the original town, but no map shows  that Berks.

Berks is here.  Or in any case, Berks used to be here.  Today  it's a rail siding.

Asylum.  We are back to the letter -A- and also curiously at yet  another State Lunatic Asylum, these days called the Lincoln Regional Center.

As far as I know, these two lines are the only ones in Nebraska named this  way.  But, I can only guess that there were other--perhaps less  obvious--schemes to come up with the dozens and dozens of other names.   It's not hard to find a compelling reason to go for a ride.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2015, 07:14:26 AM by Daniel Kalal »

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
Re: riding the ABC lines of Nebraska
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2015, 07:00:56 PM »
That's a great story, and great pictures.   

They had the same issue naming depots on the "Virginian Railway" when it went through Virginia to haul coal to Norfolk in the early 20th century.   They ended up using the names of family members of the board of directors if they couldn't find anything else.

Thanks for the travelogue!!

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline GearheadGrrrl

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2015, 08:00:22 PM »
Canadian National did the same thing in western Canada, they even went so far as to have a standard design for the towns!
Guzzi: Quota with Motorvation 'hack
BMWs: F800S, R100GS, R80ST with Motorvation Spyder 'hack, R65LS
Hacks: Motovation Spyder and Formula II
Buell: M2L, RIP Buell Motors Corporation
Yamaha: MX250 $25 auction find, "static display" for now, XS650 "on loan" from my brother, 'nother "static displa

Offline Daniel Kalal

• Gaggle Hero
  • Daytona, Stelvio [Kansas]
    • Trip Reports
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2015, 08:07:54 PM »
Canadian National did the same thing in western Canada, they even went so far as to have a standard design for the towns!

Yes; it's the same in the Great Plains where you'll find the standardized  "T-Town" layout used most often.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2015, 08:07:54 PM »

oldbike54

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2015, 08:25:48 PM »
Thanks Deke  ;-T Makes me want to road trip back to Nebraska .

Dusty

Online balvenie

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2015, 09:16:23 PM »
Engrossing as usual. Thanks Daniel ;D
Oz
04 Cali
As ye practice, so do ye teach.

LongRanger

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2015, 11:40:38 PM »
Fabulous. I love this stuff. Thanks for sharing!

Offline Crusty

• Gaggle Hero
  • You can't put a price on Worthlessness.
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2015, 06:46:25 AM »
The first photo of the two tracks with the elevators on the left just makes me feel like I should be walking with my dad along those tracks, and the two of us carrying 12 Gauge shotguns going bird hunting. I don't know why; I've never done any hunting in Nebraska. It sure does bring back other hunting trips, though. Thanks.
"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms, you know, like NASCAR drivers, so we could identify their corporate sponsors."

'07 Norge

Online Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2015, 08:36:25 AM »
Nebrasky is a beautiful place, too bad most just see I-80. I was out in Kearney on the Platte River one time and got to watch a huge flock of Sand Hill Cranes come in for a landing. It was awesome.
ебать Россию!   Not anti social-pro solitude

Online LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2015, 02:42:11 PM »

« Last Edit: February 01, 2015, 02:44:32 PM by LowRyter »
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline MotoG5

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2015, 08:54:10 AM »
Thanks Daniel,
I was born and raised here in Nebraska. I have been riding the roads you have so nicely cataloged for over forty years on Moto Guzzi's fine machines. Nebraska is a very large state and many riders do indeed miss a lot by just riding through on I-80.

Nebraska MGNOC State Rep

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here