Author Topic: Attention all Calvin owners, great news!  (Read 3616 times)

Offline Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
Attention all Calvin owners, great news!
« on: November 02, 2016, 02:45:33 PM »
[/url]

upload

[/img]Hi guys, after much research and work I have finally managed to fit a set of fork lowers on my 07 Calvin and they look great and function flawlessly! I owned a 03 FLH Harley which I had put a set of Crome fork deflectors on to keep the updraft out of my face, which they accomplished with perfection. I went to the Harley shop with my measuring tape and took some measurements on a couple different Harley's. I determined that the deflectors for a 03 FLH, woukd fit with minor fabrication. I ordered a set for 65 bucks and today within 3-4 hours I installed them. I just came back from trying them out and they worked flawlessly. At 75 MPH it was very calm pocket around my upper body and face, very comfortable.
Fitting the shields was fairly simple even if you have limited mechanical skills as myself. The only modification was a 6mm or 1/4" hole has to be drilled in the windshield bracket. This can be done after removing the top  bracket bolt, which also holds the throttle cable, attaching the shield to that threaded home then simply drill the hole in the bottom home of the shield through the bracket.  I removed the lights to get room to work.
I am including my EMAIL address where I can include pictures and my phone number to offer help to anyone.  I can't express enough how great of an improvement these made in the comfort of these great bikes.    email=  dgps3@yahoo.com
« Last Edit: November 02, 2016, 02:48:10 PM by Ncdan »

Offline cruzziguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Attention all Calvin owners, great news!
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2016, 07:35:43 PM »
So then - we're talking about less buffeting up top as well?

Todd.
Todd
07 Calvin            77 TT500
95 Sport 1100      04 Breva 750
82 Katana           79 GS850G
72 "Crud"dorado
03 Barely Davidson 883 Huggy
Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top.

Offline Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2016, 08:09:12 PM »
 Cruz, I replaced the short factory with a rifle taller shield that I look through. That stopped the buffeting on my helmet but I was still getting a lot of wind directly in the face from underneath the shield. From experience of putting these lowers on my 03 electric glide I knew  I could stop the updraft coming under the batwing fairing. After taking measurements I felt I could reverse the shields and position them behind the running lights as on the Harley. It worked great. I hit the interstate at 75-80 MPH and found a calm bubble behind the combination. They look exactly like they do on the Harley and mount the same way.  One 1/4 " hole has to be drilled on each hole for the lower hole on the shield.

Offline Sheepdog

• Gaggle Hero
  • 2007 Moto Guzzi California Vintage
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2016, 08:29:35 PM »
Great solution and they look pretty nice, too.
"Change is inevitable. Growth is optional." John C. Maxwell

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2016, 08:29:35 PM »

Offline Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2016, 09:09:41 PM »
Yea Sheep, we have been discussing this for a few weeks now and it finally came together. I am use to full fairing bikes and hate to sound like a puss but I just enjoy calm air when ridding at highway speeds for long distances. I couldn't help from smiling the whole time I was ridding after finishing the job and taking her out:)

Offline KBuck

• New Egg
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2016, 11:49:34 AM »
Ncdan,
  This is great news. Do you have the HD part number for the lowers? Thanks in advance.
-KBuck

Offline Cross-tie Walker

• Gosling
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2016, 12:31:33 PM »
I'm glad you found something to help you.
On the other hand, I must be the only Vintage owner on this board who doesn't have this issue, or maybe just like being in the wind on my motorcycle. It's never come to my mind when cruising at highway speeds that I'm being buffeted. This bike is a dream machine.
Kevin in Seattle
'72 Eldo
'07 Vintage

Offline lazlokovacs

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2016, 01:58:58 PM »
great solution!

I experimented on my calvin with a similar idea using chicken wire and gaffer tape about 5 years ago... finally went for the swannee fairing.

Well done, looks tidy too. can imagine how good it must feel to no longer have the buffetting.

out of interest, does it work well at higher speeds as well?

Offline Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2016, 02:26:31 PM »
Kbuck, PM me and I'll get you the information. However you can just google 03 FLH Harley fork windshields and severa companies offer them. Mine were 65 bucks.

Yes I went up to 80 mph with no major turbulence issues at all. I had the exact same shields on my electric glide for several years and knew they would keep all the wind that comes under the windshield out of ones face and I must say I likes the cost effectiveness of 65 bucks as aposed to 600 bucks for the fairing. I also like the looks of the old tombstone windshield as I was a motor officer for a few years of my LE career.

On the subject of the system as it was from the factory, I love ridding as I have been for around 50 years and other than dirt bikes my many bikes have always had full wind control components. I have found that the less wind you have to fight the better I feel and the end of a 500 mile day. Not to say how much better off you are in a rain storm the more coverage one has. I also chose to change the factory short shield for a taller Rifle Shield that I look through as all my police bikes were equipped that way for a safety factor. I also have fallen in love with the Calvin but was annoyed by the excessive amount of wind and guzzy offers no aftermarket equipment to assist nor does aftermarket offer any lowers for these bikes. I guess I'll have to admit being a little on the puss side the older I get, especially when it comes to comfort issues and let me add I respect all you guys opinions on the subject. If anyone wants any further info just email me at........dgps3@yahoo.com,  and I can offer my phone # and all the pictures of the job one would need to do the same. Thanks for reading my post as it was intended to help someone that was having the same issues as myself

Offline myway

• Hatchling
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2016, 04:51:50 AM »
I'm glad you found something to help you.
On the other hand, I must be the only Vintage owner on this board who doesn't have this issue, or maybe just like being in the wind on my motorcycle. It's never come to my mind when cruising at highway speeds that I'm being buffeted. This bike is a dream machine.

Your not the only one I love the air I get but I have tweeked it for me. I have drilled a new hole for the windshield bracket so I get the top of my shield closer to my nose an I can see over it just a bit more. and I like air just not in my face or beating me up air. I don't like heat!! an this bike is the best one yet. 

this mod has my attention but it would be more of a tweek for me. I am not looking for dead air myself so it would be a different goal for me. but i say thanks for the info an it has my attention.

Offline Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2016, 09:19:50 AM »
Myway, I did not mean to over state a " dead air" space with this combination of lowers and taller shield as there are still plenty of air that circulates around the ridder, there is simply no more buffering and direct wind blast to the face as I was getting. I'm sure everyone does not consider that type of wind an issue, however I have just always preferred a more calm environment while ridding at highway speed and these fork attachments will definitely fix that issue for those that feel the exces wind is an issue. Thanks for the response and ride safely:)

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here