Author Topic: Anyone have time on both a V7III and V85TT?  (Read 5031 times)

Offline Numbercruncher

• Hatchling
Anyone have time on both a V7III and V85TT?
« on: April 01, 2020, 11:32:45 AM »
The modest performance of the V7 III doesn't bother me as I didn't buy the bike for rip roaring acceleration.  But a V85 would need to be able to haul myself and 50 pounds of gear and provide comfortable passing power from like 4th gear 40-70mph.  I have not had a chance to ride a V85 and given the - financial hit it may be unwise for me to buy a new V85 anyway.  But I am curious if anyone here has had experience on both a V7III as well as a V85 and can offer their thoughts on how much stronger the power delivery is?  I doubt I'll buy a bike without riding one but since my local dealer is 300+ miles away and isn't open right now, I thought I would check here.  Need to kill every extra minute I can.

NC

Offline MMRanch

• MMRanch
  • Gaggle Mentor
  • Evil wins if Good Men do Nothing
Re: Anyone have time on both a V7III and V85TT?
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2020, 12:20:42 PM »
NC

The V-9 has the same bore/stroke as the V-85 --- I don't know what the differences are but it almost has to be in the cam and the fueling .   

The same could be with the V7II and the V7III  , sort of , Heron head vs Hemi Head .

I've got a V-9 Roamer and a V-7II.   

The difference is "Night and Day" .    The V-9 pulls , way-way-way better !   The V-7II passes one at a time the V-9 passed the whole string of them , and ya don't have to down shift to do it !  :azn:
2016 V7-II Stone
2022 Royal Enfield Meteor Stellar Blue

Offline Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2020, 12:39:04 PM »
I can TRY, but I suspect the answer is kinda more personal and less spec sheet.

I have a Mk I V7, and a V7III, and last summer I followed the demo truck around and got time on the V9 Bobber Sport and the V85.

The V7III is more powerful than my V7 but both are a pleasure to own and ride.

The V9 Bobber was a huge surprise hit to ME, as it felt even more powerful still and had a feeling a little more like a big block than a smallblock. If you like such things it reminded me more of my old Jackal than of my V7.

The V85 felt more like our Ducati than it did another smallblock (like the V7 or V9). That's not good in MY book. Meaning it was a little low on power down in the rev range and didn't get jiggy until it was much higher in rpm than the other two. It felt like you needed to run the revs higher than I like. THAT SAID, if you like that rev range, the power was definitely there and it moves fine.

What I can't say from that is if you will think it can "provide comfortable passing power from like 4th gear 40-70mph."

PERSONALLY I find enough passing power in my V7s, though I do plan them well, and yeah the MKI could be a little quicker.

I DO think the V9s provide a kick in that range.

I SUSPECT the V85 would equal or better it that kick, I just don't have enough miles to say for sure in that gear. But whatever gear, as long as the revs were up, it would move.

I think a test ride is gonna be the only way YOU will know for sure if it meets YOUR needs.

I'd pass and go for a Bobber Sport, maybe a BS with a V7 fuel tank. But that's ME.
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline Numbercruncher

• Hatchling
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2020, 01:49:45 PM »
Spec wise the V9 series appear to have almost no gain in hp and torque and also come with a much smaller fuel tank.  I would only consider a V9 if it had at least a 5 gallon tank if not the 6 gallon from the V7.

And yeah I agree a test ride is in order.  No way to really know without doing that but with just a little bit more time on my hands than is beneficial I thought I would see what kind of feedback I could get.

Thanks.

NC

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2020, 01:49:45 PM »

elvisboy77

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2020, 03:07:24 PM »
I own a V7iii Anniversario and rode a V85tt in Sardinia, for a whole day last October at the "Moto Guzzi Experience".  The power and torque on the V85 are noticably higher on the V85, as the specifications imply.  I think both have adequate power for the intended job.  You would love the V85, I am planning on getting one after I sell my V7iii.

Offline Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2020, 05:49:53 PM »
Spec wise the V9 series appear to have almost no gain in hp and torque and also come with a much smaller fuel tank.  I would only consider a V9 if it had at least a 5 gallon tank if not the 6 gallon from the V7.

And yeah I agree a test ride is in order.  No way to really know without doing that but with just a little bit more time on my hands than is beneficial I thought I would see what kind of feedback I could get.

Thanks.

NC

Yeah, don't believe the specs, they don't tell the story. I really wasn't expecting to care for the BS, but instead I was gobsmacked.

And the 5.5g tank from a V7 would bolt right up.

Besides everyone is different, you might dig the V85, I think it's a great bike, just I know what I prefer in engine feel and that ain't it for me.
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline bad Chad

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2020, 07:23:52 PM »
Kev is right about the  v9, pull much harder than specs say it should.  Max torque does hit at a low 3000rpm, vs close to 5000 on the v7III.
2007 Breva 1100  Red Arrow (and faster than yours!)
2016 CSC 250TT Zongshen
2017 V9 Roamer

Offline Cam3512

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2020, 07:43:39 PM »
First gear on the V85 is useless on the street.  Geared VERY low.  I assume for off-road.  Still getting used to that.  Taking off in 2nd feels normal.   All other Guzzis I've had (9) except my '67 Stornello scrambler (worse), you can really wring out 1st gear.
Cam in NJ
'67 Stornello Scrambler
'71 Ambo Police
'74 V7 Sport
‘20 V85TT

http://mgnocnj.forumotion.com

Offline kingoffleece

• SplitWeight(tm) seat covers
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Rated 5 STARS Motorcycle Consumer News
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2020, 09:07:33 PM »
The Anni bike is simply stunning.  You must find a way to keep it while you add the V85.  MUST!
SplitWeight(tm) seat covers. A King of Fleece LLC product.

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2020, 06:29:28 AM »
The Anni bike is simply stunning.  You must find a way to keep it while you add the V85.  MUST!

What I was thinking when I read his post. 

I would love to have a V85, but not practical for my current riding, and not ready to part with anything in the garage.
2022 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2018 V7 III Carbon Dark #0009 of 1921
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200
2009 Harley Davidson Softail Custom

Offline MacGlennon

• New Egg
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2020, 06:59:09 AM »
I’ve had both.
2 years I rode a V7lll. I liked it a lot, although admittedly, it had to grow on me. Also I will say that it took some tailoring to get it to a good place- like redoing the suspension and jacking up the rear of the bike before I could get it to fit me. The power was enough, but only just, as were the brakes. Something I didn’t really dig was the handling, which was heavy and felt reluctant to turn, or hold a line. All said though, it was beautiful and friendly and I do miss it.
I now have the v85. Ok- liveliness has returned. The handling is light and fun- this bike likes to corner. Kevm’s description of the motor’s desire to be revved I agree with, but to me it contributes to its lively feel- I dig it. I came off a BMW Gs prior to these bikes so I love the seating position of a big ADV bike. Having a bike with great suspension and brakes is nice again too. It’s kind of that Goldilocks size too- big enough to have good road presence and small enough that I find it manageable moving it around/ getting on and off. I guess it’s obvious that I’m a fan and couldn’t be happier with the switch.
2013 Kawasaki KLR 650
2020 Moto Guzzi V85tt

Offline blu guzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • Loves to ride
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2020, 07:01:32 AM »
hey cam:  for me, i like the lower gearing.  all 3 of my bmw boxers had a first gear that required feathering the clutch if you had any load on the bike or even on the slightest hill.  the worst offender was my 1150rt.  it also contributed to an unrefined feel as well.  with the 85, i can mostly just gas it and go regardless of the load.  of course if you gas it too hard, the front end gets light.  call me irresponsible, but i sometimes enjoy that feeling.  i have about 4500 miles now and was riding twisties the other day and 3rd gear gives about 25-70 mph and that thing felt downright fast.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2020, 07:03:44 AM by blu guzz »
Blue Guzz

Offline Cam3512

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2020, 07:29:18 AM »
hey cam:  for me, i like the lower gearing.  all 3 of my bmw boxers had a first gear that required feathering the clutch if you had any load on the bike or even on the slightest hill.  the worst offender was my 1150rt.  it also contributed to an unrefined feel as well.  with the 85, i can mostly just gas it and go regardless of the load.  of course if you gas it too hard, the front end gets light.  call me irresponsible, but i sometimes enjoy that feeling.  i have about 4500 miles now and was riding twisties the other day and 3rd gear gives about 25-70 mph and that thing felt downright fast.

There are definitely benefits.  Guess my point is it's unlike most Guzzis I've had/have.  I have just over 4,600 on mine too.  Looking forward to adding to that.  I'll be at the WNY Rally in early June, IF it goes.
Cam in NJ
'67 Stornello Scrambler
'71 Ambo Police
'74 V7 Sport
‘20 V85TT

http://mgnocnj.forumotion.com

elvisboy77

« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2020, 10:04:53 AM »

It really is a beautiful bike- i reckon someone will be really happy with it....

I suppose I could keep that and sell my 1400 Eldo, boo hoo. 

I would ask the wife, but I fired her a long time ago- thus the danger of having THREE Guzzis in my garage, I just sold a T-3 to get me back down to two.

Talk about first world problems!

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2020, 12:49:01 PM »
It really is a beautiful bike- i reckon someone will be really happy with it....

I suppose I could keep that and sell my 1400 Eldo, boo hoo. 

I would ask the wife, but I fired her a long time ago- thus the danger of having THREE Guzzis in my garage, I just sold a T-3 to get me back down to two.

Talk about first world problems!

Adding the TT to the stable would round it out nicely. 
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2020, 01:18:46 PM »
Compared to other Guzzi’s, the V85 is a bit un Guzzi like in that the performance builds beautifully with revs and it WILL rev.
You believe Roper about the 80 hp thing until you wind through 5,000 rpm then the real sparkle starts along with the snarl from the pipe.
If you were going to use it two up with gear, I would suggest a good LONG test ride.
The limitations would begin to show if a headwind, hill and line of cars to pass, all occurred at the same time as they inevitably will.
I would ask the dealer for a long test and give him my word that if I like it, I will buy one.
He’ll say yes for sure.
It has to be half a day two up and solo in the hills and flats and at least 200 miles. You won’t know your answer in less.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2020, 04:16:15 PM by Huzo »

Offline joe-dean

• New Egg
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2020, 03:16:40 PM »
I owned a 2018 Milano that I traded for a v85tt.   the v85tt is stronger of course seems like it revs quicker. I wanted a
mid sized dual sport that was drive shaft.  like them both the newer small blocks are really nice.

Offline Kiwi Dave

• Gaggle Hero
    • Guzzi Gander Ltd
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2020, 04:54:37 PM »
I have both, a V7-III Stone and a V85 TT.

IMHO, the V7 is a dinosaur compared to the V85.

Sorry guys!

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2020, 05:15:41 PM »

Sorry guys!

Dinosaurs can be fun.   :bike-037:

With the suspension upgrades I find the V7III to be quite capable where I ride. 

I'm afraid to try the V85, because just sitting on it was amazing.

2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200

Offline Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2020, 07:53:15 PM »

Sorry guys!

Meh, I like what I likes.
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline kingoffleece

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2020, 09:53:17 PM »
Yep.  The older I get the more I like my dinosaurs.  I'm pretty sure I hate saying that, though!
Having passing power in the hills, though, is no joke.  In PA sometimes you have about 500 yards to pass, uphill, and that ain't much.

Offline Moparnut72

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2020, 10:36:55 PM »
Sounds like you need a 1400.   :evil:
kk
Mopar or Nocar
2023 V100 Marina
2019 V7lll Special
MGNOC #24053
Amiga computer shop owner: "Americans are great consumers but terrible shoppers".

Offline jared p

• New Egg
« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2020, 02:07:41 AM »
So two things. Optimum Performance Motorsports in Kirkland is still open and doing test rides. Second, having ridden both a bit, V85 hands down. Far more comfortable, the dash is freaking awesome, the pickup is great on it, can run through the gears and not even realize you're speeding, it's pretty smooth at freeway speeds and doesnt have an issue dropping a gear to pull and pass. V7 for what it is, is nice. But for dealing with traffic, you're gonna go with the flow. I enjoy the seating position and windscreen on the V85 as well.
Nun sacciu, nun vidi, nun ceru e si ceru durmiv

Offline Bpreynolds2

• Gosling
« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2020, 07:40:05 AM »
I can TRY, but I suspect the answer is kinda more personal and less spec sheet.

I have a Mk I V7, and a V7III, and last summer I followed the demo truck around and got time on the V9 Bobber Sport and the V85.

The V7III is more powerful than my V7 but both are a pleasure to own and ride.

The V9 Bobber was a huge surprise hit to ME, as it felt even more powerful still and had a feeling a little more like a big block than a smallblock. If you like such things it reminded me more of my old Jackal than of my V7.

The V85 felt more like our Ducati than it did another smallblock (like the V7 or V9). That's not good in MY book. Meaning it was a little low on power down in the rev range and didn't get jiggy until it was much higher in rpm than the other two. It felt like you needed to run the revs higher than I like. THAT SAID, if you like that rev range, the power was definitely there and it moves fine.

What I can't say from that is if you will think it can "provide comfortable passing power from like 4th gear 40-70mph."

PERSONALLY I find enough passing power in my V7s, though I do plan them well, and yeah the MKI could be a little quicker.

I DO think the V9s provide a kick in that range.

I SUSPECT the V85 would equal or better it that kick, I just don't have enough miles to say for sure in that gear. But whatever gear, as long as the revs were up, it would move.

I think a test ride is gonna be the only way YOU will know for sure if it meets YOUR needs.

I'd pass and go for a Bobber Sport, maybe a BS with a V7 fuel tank. But that's ME.

Pretty much exactly as I'd state it.   :thumb:
I've owned 2 different V7 models (Stone and V7III Stone), a V9 Roamer, and I recently spent some quality time aboard a V85TT.  Given how much I love, love, loved the Roamer (my favorite Guzzi engine to date) and the seating position of the V85TT, and how much I love Guzzis overall (had about 11 different ones in the past), I really, really, really wanted to like the V85TT.  I didn't.  Compared to my previous Roamer and V7 it felt flat on the bottom and like Kev says, I found myself surprisingly having to give it more throttle to get moving and too, that combination of the big tire on the front end and it's enduro tread felt super vague to me.  These are likely more personal tastes that objective ones, but they are my take.

Also, someone mentioned the small tank on the V9 as being a deterrent for buying.  It is most certainly not.  In fact, somehow, someway I got considerably better mpg on my Roamer than either of my wonderful V7s.  In general, with both V7s I would get on average about 40-44mpg and a high of about 48 ever.  On my Roamer it got 45-50 always and a high of 55 or something on a couple of trips.  Though a smaller tank, that translated into comparable range and certainly not "enough" of a difference to greatly matter to me that I could get a few more miles out of the V7. 
« Last Edit: April 03, 2020, 07:41:05 AM by Bpreynolds2 »
2020 T120 Bonneville

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2020, 08:28:55 AM »
Pretty much exactly as I'd state it.   :thumb:
I've owned 2 different V7 models (Stone and V7III Stone), a V9 Roamer, and I recently spent some quality time aboard a V85TT.  Given how much I love, love, loved the Roamer (my favorite Guzzi engine to date) and the seating position of the V85TT, and how much I love Guzzis overall (had about 11 different ones in the past), I really, really, really wanted to like the V85TT.  I didn't.  Compared to my previous Roamer and V7 it felt flat on the bottom and like Kev says, I found myself surprisingly having to give it more throttle to get moving and too, that combination of the big tire on the front end and it's enduro tread felt super vague to me.  These are likely more personal tastes that objective ones, but they are my take.

Also, someone mentioned the small tank on the V9 as being a deterrent for buying.  It is most certainly not.  In fact, somehow, someway I got considerably better mpg on my Roamer than either of my wonderful V7s.  In general, with both V7s I would get on average about 40-44mpg and a high of about 48 ever.  On my Roamer it got 45-50 always and a high of 55 or something on a couple of trips.  Though a smaller tank, that translated into comparable range and certainly not "enough" of a difference to greatly matter to me that I could get a few more miles out of the V7.

You must ride wide open and at high speeds or are loaded down to get those mileage numbers.  I am in the low 50 mpg on the roadglide, low 60s on the v7, low 70s on the Himalayan,  and mid 80s on the van van.
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200

Offline MMRanch

• MMRanch
  • Gaggle Mentor
  • Evil wins if Good Men do Nothing
« Reply #25 on: April 03, 2020, 08:43:31 AM »
  You must ride wide open and at high speeds or are loaded down to get those mileage numbers.  I am in the low 50 mpg on the roadglide, low 60s on the v7, low 70s on the Himalayan,  and mid 80s on the van van. 
................... ...................

I'm with TwoWheelAddict ,
The V7II averages in the mid 50's mpg
The V9 Roamer averages in the low 60's mpg

Maybe we have better Gas here in the South ???
2016 V7-II Stone
2022 Royal Enfield Meteor Stellar Blue

Offline Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #26 on: April 03, 2020, 09:39:33 AM »
Gas mileage is really gonna vary with region/ambient conditions and usage.

Variables will include oxygenated fuels, ethanol content, altitude, temperature, load, wind, incline, etc.

I routinely get better mileage on road trips (especially at altitude) than I can manage on daily, even leisurely rides here in the flat, sea-level, home of oxygenated fuels. BUT, I rarely match some of what I hear.

Road King - typically get 39-41 mpg. I THINK BEST was maybe 45 mpg.

V7 I - typically get mid 40s. I THINK best was maybe 52ish.

V7III - typically get about 50. I THINK best was maybe 55ish.

Ducati - typically get about 48. I THINK best was maybe 52ish.

Though if you take over 100# less with you (i.e. you put Jenn on the Duc or III instead of me) and those numbers always go up. Part of that is load, part of that might be wind resistance, part of that is definitely throttle management.

Anyway, my whole point is that there are a lot of factors.
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #27 on: March 08, 2023, 05:26:40 PM »
Just dug up this thread regarding small block power and upgrades.

I heard the Wiseco has a big bore kit for V7/V9 models.  The local guy at Motiv designed the kit with them.
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline brother dave

• New Egg
« Reply #28 on: March 09, 2023, 07:46:22 AM »
I own both. 2018 V7III and 2021 V85.  The V85 does have more power and it is noticeable. It is especially handy on the interstate and riding 2 up. I outfitted the V85 with a tall Madstad screen and heated grips and these plus it’s higher bars and better leg room make it an ideal all day touring ride for me.  That said I still enjoy taking the V7 on day rides. Just make sure to take it up in the 6k range and it does the job. So should you get a V85?  Do you want to do all day touring, a little light off road, etc?  If so consider the V85. If I had to pick one it would be the V85.  I put over 10k on the v85 last year and probably less than 2 on the v7.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2023, 07:49:15 AM by brother dave »
2007 California Vintage (left the nest)
2018 V7 III Special
2021 V85 Centenario

Offline kingoffleece

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #29 on: March 09, 2023, 09:01:20 AM »
Living with a bike really reveals so much more than a test ride-which I never felt revealed anything of value unless it was a glaring issue-but now having the V85 for 7 months and understanding this bike it's really grown on me.  Like Cam mentioned, sometimes 1st is too short-no worries, just start in 2nd.  But a few times on dirt roads 1st was just perfect and nice to have.  On the beautiful twisties we have here in Phoenix and surrounding areas keep the revs up and wind 3rd or 4th for mile after mile.  Great fun.

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here