Author Topic: V7 Sport (road rash)  (Read 4926 times)

czakky82

Re: V7 Sport (road rash)
« Reply #30 on: February 13, 2022, 07:43:02 PM »
Sorry the pics aren’t very good or revealing. I just haven’t made much visible progress.
On the other hand the wrinkle paint turned out pretty good. I used it on the top triple and ears. I just went satin black on the console and gauge surround, then I went ahead and broke one of the lenses…
Anyway once my crank is finished I can start really boogying on this thing. The crank guy has been puttzing. I’m a little concerned, we’ll see…

czakky82

« Reply #31 on: March 20, 2022, 06:51:30 AM »
After getting the front main bearing re-sized progress can begin again. One cool thing I’m doing is adding an HMB oil filter system. I never mind dropping the lower sump on Guzzis, in fact I kind of like getting a thorough oil change. What I really like about this system is that for roughly $300 you get a sump spacer, filter, pressure relief, and an easy access oil filter. I also went with HMBs mid range cam and there oil pump. Doing a shade tree measure on the cam it looks to have about 1mm more lift and probably slightly more duration a bit earlier in the rotation. HMBs stuff looks really good, all billet well made stuff. Micheal is super easy to communicate with via e-mail. I know folks have complained about there packaging methods but I’ve had a couple of big orders with them and can say everything has been well packaged. I honestly wish I would’ve bought more from of my parts from them but shipping is a killer from Germany.
 I will also have one of Ed’s light flywheels too. That’s all for go fast stuff.
Anyway oil pump, cam, crank installed. Then onto the filter sump parts. It all went fairly easily. I might try to knock some sheen off the sump spacer part as it stands out quite a bit right now. We’ll see.

czakky82

« Reply #32 on: March 20, 2022, 07:56:59 AM »
Progress once again halted. It looks like the inner cylinder studs were shortened for the dual plug conversion this bike had originally. I found some on eBay, so not a huge deal.
I have dry fitted my timing gears and noticed that the cam gear has only .006” clearance from the front bearing flange top two bolts. The only thing I’m doing different is using schnoor (sic?) washers. I guess I’ll have to use the bent piece of tin for those two. I’m not sure if the new flange is thicker. I’ll re-assemble and measure. I’m just not comfortable with it being that tight. The HMB oil pump puts the pump gear close to the case as well. That might promote more oil to the gears actually…

Online Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #33 on: March 20, 2022, 02:04:17 PM »
Micheal is super easy to communicate with via e-mail. I know folks have complained about there packaging methods but I’ve had a couple of big orders with them and can say everything has been well packaged.

Then the situation has changed drastically, probably because of complaints, damaged and lost parts. I've had cylinder sets arrive in just their thin fitted boxes that were loose in a much larger box with zero bubble wrap or any other packing material. I got lucky and nothing was damaged, others less so.
Charlie

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: March 20, 2022, 02:04:17 PM »

czakky82

« Reply #34 on: March 20, 2022, 05:05:05 PM »
I remember reading complaints about that and of course it influenced my decision to do business with them but in the end I ended up spending money with them obviously. A couple years ago I bought some discs for (now Tom’s) a T3. It was pretty poorly packaged but they arrived intact. I think they do some really neat things there and I’d like to support them if possible.
Spend at your own risk I guess…

Offline Canuck750

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #35 on: March 21, 2022, 07:47:09 PM »
I have only had good results dealing with HMB but I have also heard of the horror stories.
48 Guzzi Airone, 57 Guzzi Cardellino, 65 Benelli 200 sprite, 66 Aermacchi Sprint, 68 Gilera 106 SS, 72 Eldorado, 72 Benelli 180, 74 Guzzi 750S, 73 Laverda SF1, 74  Benelli 650S, 75 Ducati 860GT, 75 Moto Morini 3-1/2, 78 Moto Morinii 500

czakky82

« Reply #36 on: April 08, 2022, 08:49:35 PM »
Transmission rebuilt using the guts bought from the swap meet. Cali 1100 I believe. Same gear ratios, an extra o-ring here and there. Every bearing besides the internal thin rollers on the shaft(s) replaced. Drum shimmed, Prussian blue on the ends of floating shafts to verify they are not making contact. Final assembly and it wouldn’t shift out of neutral…. :embarassed:, disassembled, I found nothing. I re-assembled and it shifted great. I have no idea why.
I managed to fit the clutch and starter ring tonight, forgetting where I had that old deep spline input hub. I was able to line everything up without it. So the most complex and expensive parts are done.
I’ll try to take more pics now that the operation is moving out to the shed from the basement.
The output seal on the trans is a bit proud of the speedo drive. I remember when rebuilding Tom’s T3 it was the same. I even ordered another seal thinking I might’ve installed the wrong one, I didn’t. Anyway this seal was a bit different and looks to do the same thing. The T3 didn’t leak so hopefully this one doesn’t…

czakky82

« Reply #37 on: April 29, 2022, 08:28:41 PM »
Progress is progress but, I’m light on pics.
Some wiring done and I made a decision on foot controls. My options for now are either: cutdown v7 brackets and fabbing 850t shifter/rear brake linkages to work, run the cut down “downstairs mixup” controls (wrong side, right way up) or what I’ve decided 850t stuff all around until I can get my grubby paws on some v7 sport footpegs. It’s something like 40mm forward and down from V7 sports.
I also decided to re-seal the rear drive. It took some clean up on the two seal surfaces. It should go back together tomorrow. First time that deep in a Guzzi rear drive. I think I could handle a gear swap if I needed. In other words a shaved ape can take it apart…
Antietam CC gave me some (offline) advice on rear hub casting issues after I made a snap judgment on some ominous looking flaws in the rear hub. Turns out I was fine! So that should go back together soon too.
Tires, exhaust, footpegs and a good headlight are the major purchases due.

Offline Canuck750

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #38 on: May 07, 2022, 12:19:40 AM »
For a headlight look on German EBay for a Moto Morini 3-1/2 headlight, my 1975 3-1/2 headlight is identical to the V7 Sport, if you can find one it will probably be much cheaper than a V7 sport headlight, the Benelli 650S also uses the same headlight, earlier 650S is similar except for the 4 prong wire terminal plugs are individual rather than being on a common plastic receptacle like the Sport unit and the shell will be painted black rather than chrome.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2022, 10:03:48 PM by Canuck750 »
48 Guzzi Airone, 57 Guzzi Cardellino, 65 Benelli 200 sprite, 66 Aermacchi Sprint, 68 Gilera 106 SS, 72 Eldorado, 72 Benelli 180, 74 Guzzi 750S, 73 Laverda SF1, 74  Benelli 650S, 75 Ducati 860GT, 75 Moto Morini 3-1/2, 78 Moto Morinii 500

Offline Canuck750

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #39 on: May 07, 2022, 10:17:27 PM »
Detlef Burian, the Benelli parts guy in Germany has the correct headlight used for 160 Euro and new for 230 Euro, check his website, look at the Benelli 650S page and scroll to the electric page, click on the headlight and the prices pop up on top left of page

https://www.benelliparts.de/

You will need to check if the headlight shell is black or chrome, they were typically black on the Benelli

TLM has the headlight ears in stock

https://shop.tlm.nl/en/staytube-v7-sport-dx-144967000000-moto-guzzi

850T tool boxes use the same back setcion, Moto Guzzi Classics used to sell repop fiberglass V7 Sport lids that you can rivet to the original steel hinges on the T box, check with Mark to see if he has any lids

https://www.ebay.com/itm/203852049024?hash=item2f76876a80:g:edcAAOSwwJ9iAVaJ
« Last Edit: May 07, 2022, 10:21:05 PM by Canuck750 »

Offline Canuck750

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #40 on: May 07, 2022, 10:34:00 PM »
This guy in Austria looks like he has a pair of V7 Sport front signal light brackets, he also sells reproduction clear plexiglass fairings and the brackets on German Ebay

https://www.ebay-kleinanzeigen.de/s-bestandsliste.html?userId=5561598&pageNum=4&sortingField=SORTING_DATE

czakky82

« Reply #41 on: May 08, 2022, 06:57:45 AM »
Thanks Canuck,
I will be reaching out to the Benelli guy.
I have headlight ears.
I am trying to translate the German eBay site to get those turn signal brackets.
I have toolboxes, though I wish lined up better…

Thanks agan :thumb:

czakky82

« Reply #42 on: May 16, 2022, 06:11:47 PM »
Some big and little wins the last few days. After realizing I had my ignition timing a few * out… It fired up in half a crank! I’ve got to sort the idle,etc but that’s huge for me.
Also after a few weeks of soaking in penetrating oil the fuel solenoid freed up. I always thought this to be a cool (slightly silly) feature and wanted to use it.
The little cable splitter for the Magura throttle that was graciously recommended by Antietam CC showed as being sold out right after I ordered it and I never got a shipping confirmation so I sorta assumed I was outta luck. I was super happy to see that package show up today! I also dig the Uber simple, ratio-less original throttle. Combined with the VHB slide springs, this throttle and the fresh clutch springs this bike might test my manhood. :embarrassed:

Here’s my attempt at sharing a video. Yes grammar bad, carbs are far from synced (cable splitter hadn’t arrived at the time)
https://youtube.com/shorts/W9aI-NtulY8?feature=share

My wife, who was filming was apparently not impressed, as she immediately asked what I wanted for dinner…

czakky82

« Reply #43 on: June 14, 2022, 10:35:17 AM »
I am getting closer to finishing what I aimed to accomplish on this bike for the summer.
I have put 200 miles on it so far, atleast 10 heat cycles, re-torqued heads 3 times (last time seemed pointless) but I’ll do it twice more at a minimum, I’ve gone through the jetting using my butt dyno. I arrived at 50pilots between 1.25 turns left, 1.5 right, V9(?) needle at richest, 40 slides, 135 mains. This has a lightened flywheel and the HMB V7 Sport cam. Some cool looking velocity stacks originally off of a Ducati single and classic Uni sock filters ill fitted….
I haven’t brought it to redline yet as I’ll wait until I change the oil again in another 300 miles or so.
Carb sync….
No vacuum ports on these manifolds. I was thinking about trying this method.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5bmJ0iYBYgQ
Seems a little hard on the coils? Opinions?

I’ll post some pics when I get the exhaust mounted.
 :bike-037:

czakky82

« Reply #44 on: June 15, 2022, 11:36:52 AM »
With any luck I will get the tins painted this summer, otherwise I’m mostly done. Lots of adjustments, possibly an electronic ignition at some point.

Offline Tkelly

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #45 on: June 15, 2022, 11:53:43 AM »
Congratulations,beautiful job.If it runs as good as your t3 you have a winner.

Online Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #46 on: June 15, 2022, 03:39:46 PM »
Some cool looking velocity stacks originally off of a Ducati single

Carb sync….
No vacuum ports on these manifolds. I was thinking about trying this method.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5bmJ0iYBYgQ
Seems a little hard on the coils? Opinions?

I still have that set of original V7 Sport 'stacks if you want them.

I'd either sync the carbs by measuring the slide opening(s) with drill bits, or just drilling and tapping the manifolds for vacuum fittings.

Looks great! 
Charlie

czakky82

« Reply #47 on: June 15, 2022, 05:29:00 PM »
Thanks guys! I’m not on Dave, Antietam, or Canuck’s level by a long shot, but it’s fun.

I’ll send you an email on those stacks in a while. I’m traveling a bit the next few weeks.

Offline Muzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • On the backside of the planet.
« Reply #48 on: June 20, 2022, 05:15:36 AM »
Nice work! :thumb:  Lookin goooood.
Muzz. Cristchurch, New Zealand
03 Breva

Life is just a bowl of Allbran
Ya wake up in the morning and it's there

czakky82

« Reply #49 on: June 20, 2022, 07:00:02 PM »
I’ve got a few hundred miles on the old girl now and have been able to open it up a bit. So I thought I’d give my riding impressions.
I’ve owned three Guzzis in my life. A long term, oft crashed, bastardized, v11 Sport since sold. A lightly modded, mechanically refreshed T3, now owned by Tkelly.  :cry: I do miss a bit… In good hands though.
Now this.
The most noticeable thing about a V7 Sport right away is how tall the gearing is. Most bikes from this period and beyond I find myself searching for a 7th or 6th gear that doesn’t exist when first riding. The v7 I was looking for gear below 1st! One of the first few rides I was thinking about how tall the gearing was going down the highway at 70mph, until I realized I was in 4th! I mean indicated 80mph is the only time you need be snicking into 5th!
The next noticeable (read:charm) part is the honking 4ls drum. So sexy to my eyes! My dad was only 12 when these were new but somehow I’m (at 40) nostalgic for the times of big mechanical brakes. These are honestly better than expected. I had a pretty worked over Yamaha that sported an XS1 2ls brake stopping a wild RD350 thing I built and it totally stunk if honest. This 4ls is almost adequate and I’m still fine tuning it a bit. I’m obviously not going to outbreak any modern bike but if you’re able to give it a healthy squeeze it’ll slow you down. It also doesn’t overheat as easily as I thought it would.
The engine is mostly stock save an HMB home brew camshaft and a pro lightened flywheel. I’d like to add a Sachse iggy and eventually have heads ported properly and add 32mm carbs. Not today though. Compared to Tkelly’s T3 it doesn’t have a ton more power maybe 3-4 more Hp, and likely less torque especially with the higher gearing it feels that way. It does have such a cool sound with the Lafranconi Competizione mufflers and short stroke it’s amazing! Power builds more so with this engine than the T3 as well. I haven’t been up over 6500rpm yet but it has no tell of signing off.
I really spent some time on this transmission when rebuilding, replacing almost all bearings and spending a TON of time on shimming the shift drum within a gnats bum. I sourced a solid heim joint linkage for my basically 850T foot controls and think I can dial this in more. It still shift like a Guzzi, which is uhh charming… better, but you still can’t be careless when shifting. Getting the perfect ‘snick’ into gear still requires some care.
The riding position (with 850T foot controls) is not bad. Aggressive enough that nobody is going to confuse you for a cruiser and the IMO perpetually disconnected front end of a Guzzi has more feel with the repro swan necks. Keep in mind this front wheel weighs a TON! However the fork dampers are pretty shot. Tkelly’s T3 has renewed dampers and springs, disc brakes, etc. and is much more compliant. I’m thinking I’ll have some FACs(?) relatively soon. The rear Koni shocks, surprisingly good after a rebuild! If I can swing the cost of re-chroming the springs I’ll be happy!
I can’t remember what clutch I went with, it’s fine. You gotta be serious about using it, no wrist relief here! The good part is once in 3rd you don’t need to use it much while strafing corners with the tall gearing.
I still hope to get the tank and toolboxes painted this summer and use the original broken footpegs to fab a more closer to v7 sport foot controls.

All in all, an involved machine that makes you feel cool when you ride it!
Thanks for indulging me :bike-037:

Online Frenchfrog

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #50 on: June 22, 2022, 01:34:40 PM »
Congrats...really interesting to read your road report .
I've thought about building a short stroke engine for a long time...

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here