Author Topic: V9 fuel filter change  (Read 2268 times)

Offline tris

• Gaggle Hero
Re: V9 fuel filter change
« Reply #30 on: February 04, 2023, 09:48:13 AM »
I got one from napa. Search here and I'm sure you will find it.
I'm in the UK buddy, no NAPAs here :wink:
Opie Oil have come up with the goods though
2017 V9 Roamer
2005 Breva 1100 (non ABS) "Bruno" - now sold
1995 Cali 1100 - carby   "Dino" -now sold
1993 TW125 "POS" - Resting

Offline tris

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #31 on: February 10, 2023, 10:22:49 AM »
Fuel filter  - she is changed :cool:

Observations for those that follow
When it won't come out keep wriggling and twisting and suddenly it will pop out.
Some fuel pipe connection pliers make it easier to disconnect the fuel connector. The cheap and nasty ones on Ebay that come in a set of 3 do the job - you need the red ones
The KL145 (and the UFI equivalent) is about 5mm bigger in diameter than what you are changing. This means that you cannot reuse the old tie wrap unless it was installed leaving a long tail
When it won't go in, keep wriggling and twisting and suddenly it will pop in - see above :wink:

Thanks for the help everyone
2017 V9 Roamer

Offline MotoG5

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #32 on: February 11, 2023, 07:59:09 PM »
Fuel filter  - she is changed :cool:

Observations for those that follow
When it won't come out keep wriggling and twisting and suddenly it will pop out.
Some fuel pipe connection pliers make it easier to disconnect the fuel connector. The cheap and nasty ones on Ebay that come in a set of 3 do the job - you need the red ones
The KL145 (and the UFI equivalent) is about 5mm bigger in diameter than what you are changing. This means that you cannot reuse the old tie wrap unless it was installed leaving a long tail
When it won't go in, keep wriggling and twisting and suddenly it will pop in - see above :wink:

Thanks for the help everyone

Tris what is involved in removing the tank from the bike? I am sure its not a big deal but hearing from some one who has just done it could be helpful.
Thanks Moto
Nebraska MGNOC State Rep

Offline tris

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #33 on: February 12, 2023, 01:24:43 AM »
It's not hard MG5
Obvious 10mm bolt at the back then lift wiggle and pull to rear should get it clear of the bungs at the front.
Watch that you don't bang the tank on the head stock and tank will now be loose .
From LH side of bike lift and tilt tank away from you and underneath you'll find a rubber breather hose pull that free.
With that disconnected you have space to move the tank a bit more
Possibly worth protecting RH cylinder head now and/or get a glamorous assistant to make sure that you don't loose control and whack tank on cylinder head

Disconnect fuel quick release by squeezing the 2 white buttons either side and pull to front
You now have room to follow the wiring to the plug, mine was tucked in under the top tube.

Install is the opposite of disassembly,  just make sure you get a positive click from the quick release

HTH

« Last Edit: February 12, 2023, 01:30:46 AM by tris »
2017 V9 Roamer

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: February 12, 2023, 01:24:43 AM »

Offline MotoG5

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #34 on: February 13, 2023, 04:21:16 PM »
It's not hard MG5
Obvious 10mm bolt at the back then lift wiggle and pull to rear should get it clear of the bungs at the front.
Watch that you don't bang the tank on the head stock and tank will now be loose .
From LH side of bike lift and tilt tank away from you and underneath you'll find a rubber breather hose pull that free.
Possibly worth protecting RH cylinder head now and/or get a glamorous assistant to make sure that you don't loose control and whack tank on cylinder head

Disconnect fuel quick release by squeezing the 2 white buttons either side and pull to front
You now have room to follow the wiring to the plug, mine was tucked in under the top tube.

Install is the opposite of disassembly,  just make sure you get a positive click from the quick release

HTH

Just what I was looking for. It's the little tips like this that really cut down on the swearing percentage. Thanks for taking the time to share.  :thumb:
Nebraska MGNOC State Rep

Offline Navydad

• Hatchling
« Reply #35 on: March 22, 2023, 06:43:05 PM »
I have been dreading doing this to my 2016 Stone, but finally decided it should be done so get with it. Pleasant surprise was that start to finish it took me one hour. I used 3/8 oetiker fuel line clamps and reused the original plastic tie. 

« Last Edit: March 22, 2023, 06:44:02 PM by Navydad »

Offline MotoG5

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #36 on: March 26, 2023, 04:45:01 PM »
I have been dreading doing this to my 2016 Stone, but finally decided it should be done so get with it. Pleasant surprise was that start to finish it took me one hour. I used 3/8 oetiker fuel line clamps and reused the original plastic tie.

Thanks for the input. Been chomping at the bit to get this done on my 17' Bobber. I have a full gas tank on board right now and have been waiting to get it out to run it down to do the filter change. March has been very uncooperative here in Nebraska. Get a few warm days with the roads clear and then get hit with temps in the teens and snow again. Hopefully I will be able get out next week to get it done. I have had the needed items laying on the bench for a month now.

Nebraska MGNOC State Rep

Offline tris

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #37 on: March 27, 2023, 12:27:26 AM »
I wasn't able to reuse the zip tie, so might be worth having one to hand
2017 V9 Roamer

Offline MotoG5

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #38 on: March 27, 2023, 06:49:40 PM »
I wasn'table to reuse the zip tie, so might be worth having one to hand
I have zip ties in several lengths on hand so should not be an issue to replace the original. I was planning on cutting the old one off anyway.
Nebraska MGNOC State Rep

Offline MotoG5

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #39 on: May 16, 2023, 03:37:55 PM »
Finally after seemingly endless delays due to weather and family stuff got the filter changed out today. No problems. Old filter swollen but no cracks.

Nebraska MGNOC State Rep

Offline tris

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #40 on: May 17, 2023, 02:04:34 AM »
Bravo - how did it go?
I found it a bit fiddly but easily doable with care
2017 V9 Roamer

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #41 on: May 17, 2023, 07:59:53 PM »
I did the one in my Norge after Europe.
I got a bigger one and trimmed the hoses appropriately.

Yes, I know I should use the fancy clamps…

Offline WHY

• New Egg
« Reply #42 on: May 18, 2023, 03:58:48 PM »
Against all odds I haven't replace mine and it is still riding fine, 2011 V7 racer. approx. 40,000 km on the bike, avoiding ethanol gasoline as much as possible.
2011 V7 Racer

Offline tris

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #43 on: May 18, 2023, 04:04:00 PM »
Against all odds I haven't replace mine and it is still riding fine, 2011 V7 racer. approx. 40,000 km on the bike, avoiding ethanol gasoline as much as possible.
If it blows up let's hope it's somewhere sensible like at home or in the pub carpark  :wink:
2017 V9 Roamer

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #44 on: May 18, 2023, 04:28:21 PM »
If it blows up let's hope it's somewhere sensible like at home or in the pub carpark  :wink:
Yes !
Not in a French camping park on a rainy Sunday morning.

Offline MotoG5

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #45 on: May 20, 2023, 05:09:33 PM »
Bravo - how did it go?
I found it a bit fiddly but easily doable with care

About like most here said it would. Rode the gas tank as low as possible and then used a small siphon set up to get the rest. Hardest part was the wrestling match with the tank to get it off of the rubber mounts and back in place when I was done. Covering the cylinder heads with a couple of small rugs kept from dinging up the tank while disconnecting the fuel line and electrical connector. The fuel pump set came out of the the tank with some messing around but went back in easily.
Nebraska MGNOC State Rep

Offline Milosh

• Hatchling
« Reply #46 on: August 02, 2023, 10:17:25 AM »
It's not hard MG5

HTH

Bungs at the front? The diagram (from the Service Manual) has two M8 screws shown at the middle that are Philips head and impossible to get to.
___________________ ___________________ __
“An inconvenience is only an adventure wrongly considered; an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered.” – G.K. Chesterton

Offline tris

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #47 on: August 02, 2023, 11:44:04 AM »
Yep

I've double checked the parts diagram and bungs are bolted to the frame on my V9

Tank is held on by the pockets in the tank around the bungs and the bolt at the back.

IIRC all 3 of my Guzzis have been the same
2017 V9 Roamer

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here