Author Topic: On ramp danger  (Read 546 times)

Offline John A

• Gaggle Hero
  • No way to slow down...
On ramp danger
« on: March 23, 2023, 11:34:16 PM »
This vid made me realize that I haven’t been watching far enough up the on ramp for merging traffic. I’m sure I could just ride over those things though. Watch the semi on the left merging https://youtu.be/IauWD75YG-g
John
MGNOC L-471
It is easier to fool people than it is to convince them that they have been fooled-Mark Twain
99 Bassa, sidecar
02 Stone
84 V65C
15 F3S Spyder

Online nc43bsa

• Gaggle Hero
Re: On ramp danger
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2023, 03:10:47 PM »
Over the years I've seen lots of strange things fall off vehicles:

1) A rear wheel came off a car with at least 4 people inside on the Beltline in Raleigh.  I was following and saw the wheel wobbling before it parted company.

2) A 6-wheel dump truck had a wheel bearing failure and the wheels and axle slid halfway out of the axle housing before the truck came to a stop.  This happened a half mile from my mom's house.

3) A flat-bed semi hauling a 40,000 pound coil of steel left the terminal in Charlotte without strapping or chaining the load down.  It fell onto the Interstate a few miles later, breaking the concrete slab.  I guess the driver thought it was too heavy to move on the trailer.  I didn't witness this one, only saw it on the TV news.

4) Similar to the OP's post, a semi hauling finished lumber lost its load on Interstate 40 in the Pigeon River Gorge in North Carolina.  Unfortunately, that time the load went across the wall between the EB and WB lanes of traffic and landed in traffic.  I don't remember how many casualties resulted.   I didn't witness this one, but I came upon the aftermath and saw it on the TV news.
1990 MilleGT

Offline Gliderjohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2023, 03:23:51 PM »
When I lived in Wichita the thing that almost got me a couple of times was merging onto I-135 during a busy traffic time. Now accelerating on the ramp looking over my shoulder for openings, look forward and the car in front of me has completely stopped at the end of the ramp instead of merging.
GliderJohn
John Peters
East Mountains, NM

Offline Tom H

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2023, 05:54:09 PM »
Glider....Been there. Bloody idiots can't figure out how to get on a freeway.

Tom
2004 Cali EV Touring
1972 Eldo
1970 Ambo V1000
1973 R75/5 SWB with Toaster
2007 HD Street Bob
1953 Triumph 6T (one day it will be on the road!)

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2023, 05:54:09 PM »

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here