Author Topic: Aero engine rescue  (Read 398587 times)

ruote

Re: Aero engine rescue
« Reply #1050 on: December 10, 2015, 11:31:23 PM »
Never been sorry :sad: for buying a tool, except when I should have gotten a better one :smiley:

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #1051 on: May 10, 2016, 05:23:23 PM »
Time for an aero engine update. I was talking on the phone with Dusty today and told him I'd fixed the Aero Lario until it broke.  :smiley: I'd just put my new used front brake discs on, opened the hanger door, started it up with lots of choke.. the long intake runners require a fair amount of choke until they warm up. Fuel drops out of suspension, and.. oh well..trust me, it requires choke to idle until the runners warm up. I was keeping it running with the choke and it just quit. Dead. Nothing. Wouldn't fire a lick.
I thought, "What's the chance of carburetors stopping carbureting?" None.
What's the chance of both plugs failing at once?
Slim.
What's the chance of the Siemens relay I put on the ignition (removed from the Centauro years ago) failing?
Pretty darn good.  :smiley:
I thought at the time that I was adding a failure mode to the bike that wasn't there, but wanted to take every electrical load off my kool Tron switches possible. Just in case, I wrapped another relay in foam and threw it in the tool kit. I figured that would cover it.  :smiley: 
So. I just knew it was a relay failure. Imagine my surprise when I checked for power at the coils..
2016-05-10_02-51-28 by Charles Stottlemyer, on Flickr
Thought, WTF? and pulled the plugs. Checked them on my antique (naturally) tester, and they were dead.
2016-05-10_02-46-46 by Charles Stottlemyer, on Flickr
They were fuel fouled, so took them to the solvent tank, cleaned them up, blasted them dry with air, checked them on the tester, and they tested ok. Not great..blew out at about 90 psi. but ok.
Naturally, it started right up, and I rode it up to the Guzzi Garage, but thought.."Maybe a little high speed blast will clean them off better.." Ran down to the next crossroad, in full squid gear; Tennis shoes, jeans, T shirt, and no helmet. In front of me was a mile of pretty fresh pavement, no crops on either side for deer to run out of, places for cops to hide  :evil: etc. Laid on the tank, pinned the throttle and to quote HST "with my balls on fire.."
It was like being a kid again, and it was good for me.  :grin:  :grin:
The next order of business: Since this is the only engine like this running, maybe I should take a look at the heat range of what Guzzi is using in the V9 engine. Maybe 1 heat range warmer would be good. It's presently running
. New plugs NGK BR9EIX iridium.
That was 6K miles ago. Maybe BR8s are in order? After all, we're experimenting here.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2017, 06:33:35 PM by Chuck in Indiana »
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline jacksonracingcomau

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #1052 on: May 10, 2016, 07:54:06 PM »
Can you keep it running with enricheners off ? Even with really long inlet runner on sons XR120 (with Dell Orto) we only used it to start, flicked off, warmed up before riding by using throttle.
Might just be a jetting thing ?
Other than that, I'd try non iridium before buying exy plugs (Guzzi content) in different ranges.

Offline Muzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • On the backside of the planet.
« Reply #1053 on: May 10, 2016, 09:17:19 PM »
I have reread your post Chuck and I don't see just what range you are running.

By inference, is it a 7? I would have thought that would have been a bit cold.

As a matter of interest, are they the plugs that were used when it was still being used in a done?

edit. Assuming 7=cold, 9=hot.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2016, 09:19:11 PM by Muzz »
Muzz. Cristchurch, New Zealand
03 Breva

Life is just a bowl of Allbran
Ya wake up in the morning and it's there

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #1053 on: May 10, 2016, 09:17:19 PM »

Offline ITSec

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #1054 on: May 10, 2016, 09:27:49 PM »
BR8s are everywhere in the 1200s, both the single and dual plug bikes use them...
ITSecurity
2012 Griso 8v SE - Tenni Green
2013 Stelvio NTX - Copper
2008 Norge GT - Silver

I am but mad north-northwest!
When the wind is southerly, I can tell a hawk from a handsaw...

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #1055 on: May 11, 2016, 06:13:40 AM »
Can you keep it running with enricheners off ? Even with really long inlet runner on sons XR120 (with Dell Orto) we only used it to start, flicked off, warmed up before riding by using throttle.
Might just be a jetting thing ?
Other than that, I'd try non iridium before buying exy plugs (Guzzi content) in different ranges.

Yeah, you can, but you can't let it drop much below 3000 rpm. I just hate doing that to a cold engine. The plugs I'm running are what I found as a direct replacement for the OEM unavailable in the US plug. As an aero engine, though, I would expect that plug to maybe be a little too cold? Until now, I haven't had any real problem except it seems to be getting harder to cold start. Maybe it's just telling me to put new plugs in it?
Jetting? It acts to me that it could be a little richer on the idle jet. The needles are 3 turns out.
Naturally, it needs new plugs. In my experience, once a plug is fouled for whatever reason it's never the same.

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline pauldaytona

• Gaggle Hero
    • Paul's fast Guzzi Page
« Reply #1056 on: May 11, 2016, 06:20:45 AM »
I had similar experiences with the small iridium plugs in the daytona. When they are drowned in fuel they stop quick.  Then put more siimple ones in bike starts. After that the iridium worked again.
Paul

Daytona 1225, Stelvio 1151

Download Guzzidiag here: http://www.von-der-salierburg.de/download/GuzziDiag/

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #1057 on: May 11, 2016, 11:00:59 AM »
Ok, the V9 aero engine  :smiley: uses a CPR8EB-9. That's one of those sissy 10mm plugs. I'll get me some manly 14mm BR8ES or EGs.

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

Offline kevdog3019

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #1058 on: May 11, 2016, 11:47:52 AM »
You can gap the plug more to help with rich situations.  It won't foul as easily.  This from EM.
'86 V65 "Super" Lario
'85 Honda Nighthawk 700s
'86 V65 Lario

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #1059 on: May 12, 2016, 02:13:43 PM »
Ok, we're experimenting here, but I think we can safely say that these plugs are too cold unless you are running at near WOT as the Aero engine was designed.
2016-05-12_02-50-03 by Charles Stottlemyer, on Flickr
Installed one heat range warmer, and we'll experiment with them a while. Looking back through my maintenance logs, the 07 Norge was 3 heat ranges warmer, so this should be no problem at all. I just used the heat range that came in it at first to be safe.

I know this is pretty basic, but I have seen friend's bikes come in to the  Guzzi Garage with loose plugs. If you are putting in new plugs with crush washers, bring the plug up to the crush washer and turn the wrench 3/4 of a turn more. That'll be just right. If you tighten it until it feels right, the crush washer will continue to crush with cylinder pressure and end up too loose after running a while.

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #1060 on: October 07, 2016, 04:19:20 PM »
Time for an update..
First major service completed today. Compression is 80/79. (!!) Torqued the heads for the last time. The new cylinder hold down studs I made are ok.
2016-10-07_04-22-47 by Charles Stottlemyer, on Flickr
Changed fluids, new plugs, etc.
Hmmmm, I wonder if the valve cover gaskets for the V9 would fit? I'm being *really* careful not to tear the unobtainium ones.
I would say this experiment has been a total success.  :smiley: :smiley: :thumb: I'd ride it anywhere.

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

Offline Steph

• Gaggle Hero
  • Cali Stone/ LM3
« Reply #1061 on: October 07, 2016, 04:24:05 PM »
80/79 psi? 
That seems a bit low...no?

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #1062 on: October 07, 2016, 04:52:33 PM »
80/79 psi? 
That seems a bit low...no?

A leakdown tester. Put 80 in, the second gauge reads leakage. 10% leakage is considered pretty good.  That would be 80/72. I *have* seen a cylinder that was 80/80.. but  that was once in a lifetime of doing leakdown tests.  :smiley:

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

Offline IceBlue

• Gaggle Hero
  • Where words fail, music speaks. H. C. Andersen
    • Moto Guzzi Lario Fan Site
« Reply #1063 on: October 08, 2016, 01:03:38 AM »
Hi Chuck
The aero mill was my dream some years back. I'm glad you were the one to live it. I'd had no chance of getting that mill here in Dk. Thanks for sharing your thrills and lessons learned on this project.

Ciao
Brian
Copenhagen Denmark - http://www.facebook.com/motoguzzilario

750 Targa - long legged younger sister of the Lario
V65 Lario - Short legged total brat
V65 Lario - Silver Streak
V35C - Smallest Guzzi cruiser
V75C - (project)
V75/4 - (project)

Offline sign216

• Gaggle Hero
    • Guzzi 750s - Breva, Nevada, V7, etc
« Reply #1064 on: October 08, 2016, 09:30:40 AM »
Hi Chuck
The aero mill was my dream some years back. I'm glad you were the one to live it. I'd had no chance of getting that mill here in Dk. Thanks for sharing your thrills and lessons learned on this project.

Ciao
Brian

Hi Ice,
Haven't seen you in a while.  And yes, the drone engine is the Holy Grail of the Guzzi smallblock.
I con't believe someone actually got one.
Joe
09 Guzzi V7C
58 BMW R50
65 Gilera 106
69 Benelli 350

https://groups.io/g/Moto-Guzzi-750

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #1065 on: October 08, 2016, 04:02:02 PM »
Hiya Brian.. don't be a stranger.. :smiley:

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

Offline Triple Jim

• Gaggle Hero
    • Lakeland Services Company
« Reply #1066 on: October 08, 2016, 04:11:25 PM »
Ok, we're experimenting here, but I think we can safely say that these plugs are too cold unless you are running at near WOT as the Aero engine was designed.

What plugs are those?  They look almost as cold as a set of Champion L55Gs I tried briefly in my '72 H2.
When the Brussels sprout fails to venture from its lair, it is time to roll a beaver up a grassy slope.

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #1067 on: October 09, 2016, 07:27:22 AM »
What plugs are those?  They look almost as cold as a set of Champion L55Gs I tried briefly in my '72 H2.

Those are BR9ES. They cross reference to the OEM plug which is a weird euro plug..Bosch W3CS . I went with a BR8ES, but at the KY rally, it was getting cranky with about 5K miles on them. I put them in my aircraft plug checker, and sure enough they were bad. Looked good, though, so I put a new set of BR8s back in. I'm (sorta) scared to go to a hotter yet plug..

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

Online John A

• Gaggle Hero
  • No way to slow down...
« Reply #1068 on: October 09, 2016, 08:38:35 AM »
I remember talking to a tech rep when we were raceing who said that with modern pump gas additives when the insulator gets soaked, the plug is junk for high performance applications because it will cause weak spark and possibly a misfire. Cleaning the plug is of little use as you cannot get the insulater to release whatever chemical has penetrated it and it won't burn off like it did with the old generation of fuels. That's what I remember from late last century.
John
MGNOC L-471
It is easier to fool people than it is to convince them that they have been fooled-Mark Twain
99 Bassa, sidecar
02 Stone
84 V65C
15 F3S Spyder

Offline flangeman_70

• Gosling
« Reply #1069 on: October 09, 2016, 09:27:22 AM »
Some inspiration for you others that might want to try this
http://www.centauro.de/NTX/V82/V82-START.html
You only went to school to learn how to learn

Adam

SP III 1990
V10 Centauro 1996

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #1070 on: October 10, 2016, 06:00:51 AM »
I remember talking to a tech rep when we were raceing who said that with modern pump gas additives when the insulator gets soaked, the plug is junk for high performance applications because it will cause weak spark and possibly a misfire. Cleaning the plug is of little use as you cannot get the insulater to release whatever chemical has penetrated it and it won't burn off like it did with the old generation of fuels. That's what I remember from late last century.

That has been my experience. Normally, I start the Lario with choke, and ride off keeping it running with throttle as best I can until the intake runners warm up. Takes about a half mile. If I leave the choke on too long, it'll fuel foul the plugs. That happened at the KY rally when I was waiting for Dorcia to do whatever wimmens do  :smiley: :thewife: when we were going for a ride. It ran poorly the rest of the weekend, and wouldn't burn off no matter how hard I ran it.  :evil: The plug tester showed all. Weak spark at low pressure, and none at over 90 psi.
FWIW, I was talking to Jim Barron at Rose Farm this summer, and he says if a plug comes out, he puts a new one in.

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

Online John A

• Gaggle Hero
  • No way to slow down...
« Reply #1071 on: October 10, 2016, 07:51:31 AM »
That is good advise from Jim at Rosefarm, I think I'll replace plugs at a shorter interval. I was thinking that maybe you could put little 12 volt heaters on the intake runners. What do you think?
« Last Edit: October 10, 2016, 08:04:31 AM by John A »
John
MGNOC L-471
It is easier to fool people than it is to convince them that they have been fooled-Mark Twain
99 Bassa, sidecar
02 Stone
84 V65C
15 F3S Spyder

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #1072 on: October 10, 2016, 10:37:22 AM »
That is good advise from Jim at Rosefarm, I think I'll replace plugs at a shorter interval. I was thinking that maybe you could put little 12 volt heaters on the intake runners. What do you think?

I'm thinking you're overthinking it.  :smiley: :boozing:

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

Offline twhitaker

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #1073 on: October 10, 2016, 11:01:41 AM »
I'm thinking you're overthinking it.  :smiley: :boozing:

Then, by definition, you're underthinking it.  :boozing:  :grin:
'96 California 1100i 160,000 mi
'97 Centauro yellow 25,000 mi
'02 Champagne V11 LeMans 58,000 mi
MGNOC-11168
Dayton, OH

Online John A

• Gaggle Hero
  • No way to slow down...
« Reply #1074 on: October 10, 2016, 11:07:48 AM »
you just don't wanna do it, Chuck :grin:
John
MGNOC L-471
99 Bassa, sidecar
02 Stone
84 V65C
15 F3S Spyder

Offline IceBlue

• Gaggle Hero
  • Where words fail, music speaks. H. C. Andersen
    • Moto Guzzi Lario Fan Site
« Reply #1075 on: October 20, 2016, 05:18:17 AM »
Hiya Brian.. don't be a stranger.. :smiley:

Hello Chuck
Trying not to. Quite busy these days.
Still a Guzzi lover  :bow:

Looking forward to retirement giving me more time, but still 4-5 years to go  :coffee:

Copenhagen Denmark - http://www.facebook.com/motoguzzilario

750 Targa - long legged younger sister of the Lario
V65 Lario - Short legged total brat
V65 Lario - Silver Streak
V35C - Smallest Guzzi cruiser
V75C - (project)
V75/4 - (project)

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #1076 on: July 08, 2017, 10:17:31 AM »
It's been a while.. time for an update. I've been extremely happy with the Aero engine, and have put several thousand miles on it.
However..  :smiley:
It is cold natured at startup. I'm guessing that it is from the longer than normal intake manifold runners. I'm using the "all or nothing" stock Lario flip choke, and that is either too much or not enough. Sooo.. I found a Magura choke lever on Amazon. It was set up to put on a handlebar, but there's no room on the Lario for that. I have a lathe and mill and know how to use it.. :smiley: and made a mount for the lever using the mirror location.
2017-07-08_10-38-32 by Charles Stottlemyer, on Flickr
A trip to the bicycle store got a cable and housing. Did a little figuring, made an end out of steel .120" in diameter, .125 long, with an .063" hole through it countersinked on each end. Sorry, I forgot to take a picture.
My friend Andy gave me an old loop frame splitter. I cut it apart to just use one side of it. Left the bolt hole, but couldn't find any place to mount it that didn't cause the cables to be unnaturally bent, so zip tied it to the frame rail.
2017-07-08_10-30-53 by Charles Stottlemyer, on Flickr
Even a blind hog finds an acorn every now and then..  :smiley: measuring twice and cutting once worked this time.  :thumb:

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

Offline Unkept

• Gaggle Hero
    • Unkept Uncaged- Youtube Channel
« Reply #1077 on: July 08, 2017, 12:46:23 PM »
 :thumb: The Aero engine story has become one of my fondest memories.

-Joe

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #1078 on: July 18, 2017, 02:41:56 PM »
Back to the experimental department..  :smiley:
2017-06-20_07-48-17 by Charles Stottlemyer, on Flickr
We currently have a thread on your favorite motorcycle going on.. I have my three "wind up" bikes.. you know the bikes you wind up with? When I had the Mighty Scura out in California, it was my favorite, but back here in Indiana, that Ohlins suspension is wasted. The little Monza is a hoot.
But.. I find when I just want to go for a put the AeroLario generally gets the nod. I was out roaring around today, and coming back through the metropolis of Elwood, Indiana.. :wink: it started to idle poorly. I thought, "crap.. it's trying to foul a plug." Sure enough..
2017-07-18_03-21-21 by Charles Stottlemyer, on Flickr
Those of you that have followed this thread know that the Aero engine had a very cold plug when used as an airplane engine. It roughly translated to a BR9ES, so I tried that one first. Fouled it. I've been running a BR8ES since, but this is the second one it's fouled. You don't need to tell me 3 times, so I just put in a pair of BR7ES, and will experiment with them for a while.
Synced the carbs and set the idle.
2017-07-18_03-21-46 by Charles Stottlemyer, on Flickr
I love this thing..  :smiley:
« Last Edit: August 18, 2017, 03:19:45 PM by Chuck in Indiana »

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #1079 on: August 18, 2017, 03:22:06 PM »
Had a look at the new plugs after several hundred miles going to the Wisconsin rally. They look much cleaner, and cold starts are a piece of cake.
Gave her a bath..
2017-08-18_04-08-49 by Charles Stottlemyer, on Flickr

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here