General Category > Bike Builds, Rebuilds And Restorations Only

'85 LeMans remodel, again

(1/4) > >>

mgmark:

I finally got to where I could get the yellow Lemans on the lift for its turn. I want to have it back on the road again for this season. In its previous incarnation it was a LeMans I styled bike, (see my avatar) only to discover my hands and neck don't like clipons anymore. Dang this getting old stuff!

So this time the bike is going more retro, more 750S type style, with wire wheels. I sourced some Verlicchi swan necks for the 40mm Cal 3 forks, and laced up a Borrani rim to the Cal front wheel to match the rear. It has the short 70s swingarm and related bits to get the rear wheel centered under the fender, V7 Sport rear flip fender, tank and seat, and T tool boxes. I'm using early style gauges also. In the past Stein Dinse sold straight frame extensions for the late 80s LeMans to replace the upswept frame rails. I was lucky to find some used. I powder coated the frame on this bike, the first time I've tried it. I like it. So far I have all of the big pieces hanging, still need to build a wiring harness, connect up the brakes, all the small jobs.

I want to remove what is left of the original blue finish off the rocker covers, what hasn't been sandblasted off from road miles already. Any ideas?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/151193458@N06/albums/72157678897049850

Antietam Classic Cycle:
Hard to believe that was ever a Le Mans 1000!  :azn:

Scud:
Just looked at your flickr link. So the same bike has been a red LeMans, a yellow banana, and a stealthy black standard - all under your care? And this will be her 4th iteration with you?

Looking forward to the next one.

I've been happy with powdercoated valve covers (sandblasting included). But that can be a slippery slope, because you'll start looking for more stuff to powdercoat.

mgmark:

--- Quote from: Scud on February 18, 2017, 09:25:32 PM ---Just looked at your flickr link. So the same bike has been a red LeMans, a yellow banana, and a stealthy black standard - all under your care? And this will be her 4th iteration with you?

Looking forward to the next one.

--- End quote ---

That's the magic of Tonti frames; you can build then into anything! Same great bike underneath, just a little more user friendly as I get older. It will have green stripes, but I chickened out on the green frame.

Thanks for the powdercoat tip on the valve covers. I might try to do some polishing on them first, but they could wind up being powdercoated for durability.

wirespokes:
I believe the valve covers are anodized, in which case, take them to an anodizer and have them stripped.

Then anodize them clear if a bare aluminum look is desired.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version