Author Topic: V9 Roamer SR8202 Rack Givi Install  (Read 3573 times)

Offline Lexiyntax

• New Egg
V9 Roamer SR8202 Rack Givi Install
« on: June 21, 2018, 03:39:28 PM »
Installing the Givi SR8202 V9 Luggage Rack turned out to be a much bigger challenge than it appeared from the simple looking one page instruction sheet and its deceiving 'only need one tool' indication. If you aren't comfortable removing a rear shock and don't understand the implications and care to be taken when working on a suspension and which frame parts need locktite and proper torque, do not try this at home, take it to a dealer.

After fiddling for a while trying to figure out how it is supposed to go on, I realized the instruction sheet (which has no written instructions) shows the rear shock dropped in the picture. Fortunately the shock only needs lowered on one side, and I have a center stand on my V9 which made doing so much easier. I put it on the center stand, the V9 shock allows relieving the pressure just by screwing the adjusters down to the bottom, so it was pretty easy to get to this state. Note that I recommend just taking that left shock off; I used a rag and carefully set it down (be careful not to damage the swingarm by dropping it), but it has to come off anyway to fit it back in position if installing the side case frames, and regardless both bolts will need removed for loctite blue application. Next time I would just take it off instead of messing with the rag.

This allows it to at least go in, but this is just the start of the adventure. It is very tricky to get the spacers in at the top while not dropping the assembly onto softer and/or painted parts. The method that ended up working for me was putting one of the bolts in on one side, putting the spacers in on the other side, swapping the bolt to the other side, then putting the spacers in on that side while using a piece of wood to lever the assembly wide enough to actually fit these spacers in. Be careful to lever off the frame and not the soft side plate.

The thing on the shock mount in this picture is a small bungee cord I used on the opposite side so it wouldn't drop when I was working on the non-bolted side. If I ever have to do this again, instead of one small one I'd use a larger one across both sides so it wouldn't need swapped back and forth, or just a second person to hold the rack if I had someone available.

So although I doubted it for a while, it is actually possible to get these spacers in, here's proof.

Once you get here, get a bolt in on each side a few turns right away; if any of these fall out at this point it has to be started over again.

The pairs of washers for the passenger peg mounts become obvious from the picture once you are at this step, as there's gaps in each location they are needed. There's some more pushing and prodding to get bolts in, make sure they go in by hand and not force or the angles are wrong. In particular to cleanly thread the front most bolts I had to pull on the rack then thread them carefully in to get the angle correct.

All done and ready to load up with camping gear.

2017 Guzzi V9, 2008 Rebel 250, 2014 Street Triple, 2012 Voyager 1700, 2014 FLD Switchback, 2017 Concours 14

Online tazio

• Gaggle Hero
Re: V9 Roamer SR8202 Rack Givi Install
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2018, 07:37:16 PM »
More pics of the bags installed please :thumb:
Current Fleet
2015 Moto-Guzzi GRiSO
1972 Aermacchi Harley-Davidson 350 Sprint
1967 Kawasaki 650 W2TT
1966 Triumph Bonneville

Offline Marmot

• New Egg
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2022, 01:51:27 PM »
I've got a roamer with the 'long' seat, how much room remains between the back of your seat and the rack? Some retailers claim it fits all seat types but the pics only show it with your style.

And how do you like it?

thanks

Offline bad Chad

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2022, 05:59:47 PM »
I had to put in a bit of elbow grease as well putting the Givi rack on my Roamer.    But it appears very strong via over built mounts!r
2007 Breva 1100  Red Arrow (and faster than yours!)
2016 CSC 250TT Zongshen
2017 V9 Roamer

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2022, 05:59:47 PM »

Offline greer

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2022, 05:24:55 AM »
Sorry to horn in here, but you Roamer/Bobber riders please let me know if you need a touring screen.

https://wildguzzi.com/forum/index.php?topic=112403.0

Doug got the bike all set up for the long haul, then decided he wanted a V85.  Isn't that just the way it goes?  I can't say a thing, I've certainly been there and done that.

Carry on!

Sarah
Sarah '21 V7 Special, '17 XT250, '17 V9 Roamer sold August 2021, '16 V7 II Stone sold September 2021, '08 Nevada Classic sold August 2020 
Doug '21 V85TT, '05 Sportster Roadster, '13 XT250

Offline Lexiyntax

• New Egg
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2022, 12:15:50 PM »
More pics of the bags installed please :thumb:

2017 Guzzi V9, 2008 Rebel 250, 2014 Street Triple, 2012 Voyager 1700, 2014 FLD Switchback, 2017 Concours 14

Offline Lexiyntax

• New Egg
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2022, 12:37:47 PM »
I've got a roamer with the 'long' seat, how much room remains between the back of your seat and the rack? Some retailers claim it fits all seat types but the pics only show it with your style.

Here's a shot with a meter stick lined up with the front tip of my stock seat along the centerline to the back of the rack as a reference. This stock seat is already a pretty long 60 cm bench.

And how do you like it?

This luggage makes it absolutely my favorite summer hauling bike now. Go to grocery stores and load up and use it as my primary motorcycle camping bike.

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here