Author Topic: Laptop Hell  (Read 6296 times)

Offline Darren Williams

• Finally got me a Griso!
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Life is too short to go slow!
Re: Laptop Hell
« Reply #30 on: April 27, 2019, 09:20:40 AM »
Luap, you live in the Ozarks for goodness sake! Going to see you for a computer would just be a great excuse for a fun ride.   :bike-037:
The best part of riding a motorcycle is to tilt the horizon and to lift the front coming out of a corner and to drift the back end powering thru loose dirt and to catch a little air topping a hill and... yeah it's all good!

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #31 on: April 27, 2019, 09:52:48 AM »
Luap, you live in the Ozarks for goodness sake! Going to see you for a computer would just be a great excuse for a fun ride.   :bike-037:

That's kinda what I thought : )
ебать Россию!   Not anti social-pro solitude

oldbike54

« Reply #32 on: April 27, 2019, 09:55:10 AM »
 Hell fellas , we are meeting up in Cedar Vale shortly .

Dusty

Lcarlson

« Reply #33 on: April 27, 2019, 10:17:34 AM »

Since getting my first iPad 7 - 8 years ago, I’ve hardly touched my iMac desktop. If a physical keyboard is important, obviously it would not be the best choice (although a WiFi keyboard works fine with the iPad).

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: April 27, 2019, 10:17:34 AM »

Offline fossil

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #34 on: April 27, 2019, 10:27:24 AM »
I feel somewhat qualified to offer an opinion here...

Yes, I own a computer shop and sell computers. Not new ones, but ones that we refurbish in house and put through a vigorous 16-point test before we sell them.  It might not be justifiable cost-wise for John to make the trip though.

Even though I use an HP Envy, I cannot recommend an HP. Their quality is becoming way too sub-par.  Dell is not far behind either. I'll save all the reasons for that for a rainy day. I've reinforced mine and massively upgraded it, but not everyone is in the position to do that.

I recommend Intel. Stay away from AMD processors like the plague. Also, stay away from Acer and Gateway like the plague. Avoid computers from walmart (any electronics for that matter). They're all Frankenstein units. I once replaced a screen in a laptop from walmart and on the back of the screen was a sticker that read "refurbished by company x". The company is one that repairs Walmart electronics. I found it disheartening that they'd use refurbished parts to sell as new, but now know why they sell so cheap.

I recommend the Lenovo Ideapad 330s or the Asus VivoBook 14". Either one is a quality device. I'd probably go with the Lenovo though. I worked on one (viruses) the other day and am thinking about selling my HP to get one of those. It's a nice one.  Link: https://tinyurl.com/yxjj9o46

Also, remember....ALL HARD DRIVES FAIL. I don't care what anyone says. ALL of them WILL DIE eventually. I've seen comments here of opponents of cloud storage. I'm in the proponent camp on this because I've been seeing first hand for over 20 years the tears falling from peoples eyes that have lost decades of family photos because they didn't have a good, reliable back up.  Remember that even external backups fail and 99% of people don't back up often enough. It's not "if" they fail, it's "when" they fail. I'm a fan of google drive. It's automatic, affordable and can be used as an actual drive letter on your computer. A truly wonderful product that I rely on myself.

Hope all of this helps.

I do not doubt that your experience with Dell is real and correct. But I think there is a big difference between the consumer products and the business laptops e.g. of the Latitude 6000 and 7000 series and their successors. These things are built wonderfully (I happen to refurbish my own laptops from time to time). The same applies to Lenovo (the "bigger" ThinkPads are seriously superior to the not-so-expensive consumer´s stuff). That should be considered.

To your opinion regarding hard drive failure and data backup I can happily agree.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2019, 10:29:24 AM by fossil »
Greetings from Germany!
Thorsten

Offline Bulldog9

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #35 on: April 27, 2019, 10:33:19 AM »
Definitely want to echo what others have said about having a cloud backup. I pay about $90 a year for 1 TB of cloud storage with Microsoft OneDrive. That also includes Microsoft office suite and a few other things.

I'm not a huge fan of Microsoft products, but OneDrive allows you to select what folders are synced with what computer so you can hang everything in the cloud and have cloud or local access to it from any computer or mobile device, and then keep whatever files you want also synced and resident on whatever device you want. This is great if you dont have a huge hard drive. I have a small Lenovo 9in yoga laptop that I use when I travel. I have the folders for my Guzzi diag and maps and all of the service and owner's manuals for my bikes so when I'm on the road if I have an issue it's an easy fix.

I also bought a cheap 2 terabyte external hard drive and do a manual backup on to that once or twice a year. There are some services like Google drive that will give you a certain amount for free, and also work well, but one drive really works well and for the money it's great to have up-to-date software.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2019, 12:37:48 PM by Bulldog9 »
MGNOC#23231
The Living: 1976 Convert, 2004 Breva 750, 2007 GRiSO, 2008 1200 Sport, 2016 Stornello #742,
The Departed: 2017 MGX, 2014 Norge GT, 
In Stasis: 1978 XS750, XS1100SF

Offline fossil

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #36 on: April 27, 2019, 10:45:10 AM »
No I'm not a huge fan of Microsoft products

Well, I am.
Greetings from Germany!
Thorsten

Offline Bulldog9

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #37 on: April 27, 2019, 12:28:11 PM »
MGNOC#23231
The Living: 1976 Convert, 2004 Breva 750, 2007 GRiSO, 2008 1200 Sport, 2016 Stornello #742,

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #38 on: April 27, 2019, 04:34:31 PM »
Since I was having trouble finding what I want and am not going for a Dell, Lenovo or HP, I thought about looking at custom machines.

I found this outfit called Sager that custom builds some Chinese machine also known as a Clevo. These are gamers, perhaps more than I need but no more cost wise that the brands I've blackballed.  I wonder if anyone has experience with a Sager?  I've not heard of them until I googled custom laptops.

I wish I could find one on the shelf but apparently 14in aren't that popular.  And then none of the box stores seem to be able to get one with right size HD, etc.
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

twowings

« Reply #39 on: April 27, 2019, 04:48:27 PM »
No sense spending more than you need to if you aren't going to game all the time...those machines have serious processing power that isn't necessary to browse the interwebs, write emails, and compose the occasional document...

Online PJPR01

• Gaggle Hero
  • Norge, Scura, Griso
« Reply #40 on: April 27, 2019, 05:12:57 PM »
John...if you go to www.hpshopping.com and configure a machine, email it to me, and I can get you an employee discount that is usually quite generous.

It will be shipped directly to you...let me know if you find something that fits your needs.

Paul
Paul R
2021 Honda Goldwing Bagger Manual Cement Gray
2015 Red/Black Griso
2008 Silver Norge
2002 V11 Scura

Offline Darren Williams

• Finally got me a Griso!
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Life is too short to go slow!
« Reply #41 on: April 27, 2019, 05:14:16 PM »
No sense spending more than you need to if you aren't going to game all the time...those machines have serious processing power that isn't necessary to browse the interwebs, write emails, and compose the occasional document...

If John got a good gaming laptop, he could start a mining cryptocurrency hobby!   :thumb:
The best part of riding a motorcycle is to tilt the horizon and to lift the front coming out of a corner and to drift the back end powering thru loose dirt and to catch a little air topping a hill and... yeah it's all good!

Offline Luap McKeever

• Owner, WildGuzzi.com
  • Administrator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Lead, follow, or get out of the way!
    • Wildgoose Chase Moto Guzzi
« Reply #42 on: April 28, 2019, 07:45:35 AM »

Good point.
Founder, Wildguzzi.com (est. 1998)
2021 V85TT Centenario E5
2001 California Special
2001 California EV
2020 Indian Challenger Limited
2021 TaoTao TBR7

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #43 on: April 28, 2019, 08:04:47 AM »
I've had so many issues with these little junk computers.

Before I bought the POS I have now, I ordered a Dell.  I suppose it wasn't Dell's fault but the initial load of Win 10 didn't have any user software on it.  I didn't want to load a CD player app just so I could use the built in CD player plus drivers and every other app from photo viewer to solitaire.  So I sent it back.

I purchased this crappy little HP and it's literally breaking apart, the hinges are breaking out of the plastic case.  So stupid me, I ordered another Dell, that one wouldn't charge the battery which my computer guy says is a typical Dell problem.  Now I have Lavenco boat anchor that was shipped to me by NewEgg on Wednesday, it won't hook to the internet.  And now I learn that Newegg didn't even sell it to me, it came from a 3rd party and now I fighting them to send it back.

All I want is a 14in machine with 1TB hard drive and the usual plugins, slots, media and lit keyboard which can't be found at any retail store.    I have no idea what is meant by Gen9 processors an superRAM ....just give me the size I want in a reliable package.

Typing on this crappy HP hoping the screen doesn't break off from the keyboard
You lost me after..
“I’ve had..”
I think I understand POS.
Is that an acronym for “Processor Operating Software”...?
« Last Edit: April 29, 2019, 01:44:46 PM by Huzo »

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #44 on: April 28, 2019, 08:27:26 AM »
Austin, he of the KLR from Hell  :evil: and G5 is a computer dork.  :grin:
 Like Luap,
I recommend the Lenovo Ideapad 330s
he recommended I get Dorcia a 330. Nice machine, about $450 from memory.
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline Swedemoto

• Hatchling
« Reply #45 on: April 28, 2019, 09:11:31 AM »

I recommend Intel. Stay away from AMD processors like the plague.

Not to hijack the thread, but Luap, why don't you like AMD?
I have an AMD A6-5200 17"HP that I got to do CAD. It's probably 5 yrs old but has performed well for me. I really like their new Ryzen product and was about to look for a replacement soon.

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #46 on: April 28, 2019, 04:16:05 PM »
You lost me after..
“I’ve had..”
I think I understand POS.
Is that an acronym for “Processor Operating Software”.
..?
Anyway, sounds like I could do with a little “digital enhancement”

you're very close to being correct. 
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline Luap McKeever

• Owner, WildGuzzi.com
  • Administrator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Lead, follow, or get out of the way!
    • Wildgoose Chase Moto Guzzi
« Reply #47 on: April 29, 2019, 06:12:36 AM »
Not to hijack the thread, but Luap, why don't you like AMD?
I have an AMD A6-5200 17"HP that I got to do CAD. It's probably 5 yrs old but has performed well for me. I really like their new Ryzen product and was about to look for a replacement soon.

Because after doing what I do for over 20 years now, the #1 processor to fail is AMD. They are fine in a desktop with proper cooling. But in a laptop, they tend to run wayyyyyyy too hot and cause failure.  If you have one in a laptop, it is imperative to keep it clean inside.  Since 1996, I have seen only ONE Intel processor fail. I can't even begin to guess how many AMD's.

But, YMMV  :grin:
Founder, Wildguzzi.com (est. 1998)
2021 V85TT Centenario E5
2001 California Special
2001 California EV
2020 Indian Challenger Limited
2021 TaoTao TBR7

Online AJ Huff

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #48 on: April 29, 2019, 08:57:26 AM »
https://computers.woot.com/offers/hp-lenovo-14-i5-business-notebooks BOOM!

Today only, refurbished Lenovo 14" T440 with 1TB drive, $399.

-AJ
'71 Ambassador
'01 California Special
'05 Road King
MGNOC# L-753

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #49 on: April 29, 2019, 03:58:57 PM »
https://computers.woot.com/offers/hp-lenovo-14-i5-business-notebooks BOOM!

Today only, refurbished Lenovo 14" T440 with 1TB drive, $399.

-AJ
Wow, thanks for the info.   am undecided about refurb to be honest. 
« Last Edit: April 29, 2019, 03:59:46 PM by LowRyter »
John L 

Offline sign216

• Gaggle Hero
    • Guzzi 750s - Breva, Nevada, V7, etc
« Reply #50 on: April 29, 2019, 04:04:26 PM »
I do not doubt that your experience with Dell is real and correct. But I think there is a big difference between the consumer products and the business laptops e.g. of the Latitude 6000 and 7000 series and their successors. These things are built wonderfully (I happen to refurbish my own laptops from time to time). The same applies to Lenovo (the "bigger" ThinkPads are seriously superior to the not-so-expensive consumer´s stuff). That should be considered.

To your opinion regarding hard drive failure and data backup I can happily agree.

I've bought Dell consumer laptops for a while, but my last purchase was disappointing.  Hardware quality was really poor.  I should have checked consumer ratings instead of trusting Dell's prior reputation.   

It's got Windows 10.  Not a fan!  I'd like to get a Linux laptop, but my wife is the primary user and couldn't handle the idiosyncrasies of Linux.

Joe
09 Guzzi V7C
58 BMW R50
65 Gilera 106
69 Benelli 350

https://groups.io/g/Moto-Guzzi-750

Offline Bulldog9

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #51 on: April 29, 2019, 06:11:59 PM »
Wow, thanks for the info.   am undecided about refurb to be honest.

Refurbished is the only way I have bought my Thinkpads. The only reason I have updated has been outdated processing speeds and required ram with all of the current software and web demands. My 12 year old ThinkPad with the 286 processor is my grandson's play laptop when he visits. I did upgrade the hard drive to a larger one about six years ago, but the processing speeds were so slow it forced an upgrade. Everything still works on it as new. I bought a refurbished X1 carbon yoga 3 years ago and it is been perfect.

Many businesses lease them for two or three years then sell them back to Lenovo who refreshes them and sells them as refurbished.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2019, 06:16:14 PM by Bulldog9 »
MGNOC#23231

twowings

« Reply #52 on: April 29, 2019, 06:17:39 PM »
Most Linux distributions are able to be test-driven from a USB thumb drive without disturbing your current OS...

the one I use called elementaryOS and is VERY user-friendly...much less complicated than Windows or Mac....

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #53 on: April 29, 2019, 06:26:44 PM »
  I'd like to get a Linux laptop, but my wife is the primary user and couldn't handle the idiosyncrasies of Linux.

Joe

What idiosyncrasies are those?   I ask because after 10 years as Windows user followed by 11 years as a Mac user, I just got a Linux-equipped laptop and it basically acts the same as the others.   I haven't run into anything yet where I have to scratch my head and can't figure it out pretty quick.    A few things are in different places but that even happens between versions of the same Windows or Mac OS ... ?

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline Rhodan

• Gosling
« Reply #54 on: April 29, 2019, 06:50:54 PM »
FWIW, I've always been happy with the Samsung products I've had.

Offline sign216

• Gaggle Hero
    • Guzzi 750s - Breva, Nevada, V7, etc
« Reply #55 on: April 29, 2019, 07:09:34 PM »
What idiosyncrasies are those?   I ask because after 10 years as Windows user followed by 11 years as a Mac user, I just got a Linux-equipped laptop and it basically acts the same as the others.   I haven't run into anything yet where I have to scratch my head and can't figure it out pretty quick.    A few things are in different places but that even happens between versions of the same Windows or Mac OS ... ?

Lannis

For example, in a Linux conversion I did 3 or 4 yrs ago; the user name could not contain any capital letters.  It didn't say you couldn't use them, but if you did, it just resulted in a block with no indications why.  Took forever to figure it out.

And other minor stuff like that, but each one was a time wasting "paper cut."  Still better than Win 10, but not competitive w Win 7.

Joe
09 Guzzi V7C
58 BMW R50
65 Gilera 106
69 Benelli 350

https://groups.io/g/Moto-Guzzi-750

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #56 on: April 29, 2019, 08:22:24 PM »
For example, in a Linux conversion I did 3 or 4 yrs ago; the user name could not contain any capital letters.  It didn't say you couldn't use them, but if you did, it just resulted in a block with no indications why.  Took forever to figure it out.

And other minor stuff like that, but each one was a time wasting "paper cut."  Still better than Win 10, but not competitive w Win 7.

Joe

Well, I didn't set mine up, my son did, so I'm sure that he had to "get used to" the differences, but once the user interface is up and your favorite browser and word/spreadsheet/photo apps are in place, I just can't see how the differences would be visible to the non-technical user like me .... But to each his (or her) own!

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #57 on: April 29, 2019, 08:31:35 PM »
Refurbished is the only way I have bought my Thinkpads. The only reason I have updated has been outdated processing speeds and required ram with all of the current software and web demands. My 12 year old ThinkPad with the 286 processor is my grandson's play laptop when he visits. I did upgrade the hard drive to a larger one about six years ago, but the processing speeds were so slow it forced an upgrade. Everything still works on it as new. I bought a refurbished X1 carbon yoga 3 years ago and it is been perfect.

Many businesses lease them for two or three years then sell them back to Lenovo who refreshes them and sells them as refurbished.

Actually obsolescence is one of my main concerns. I have several laptops that take 20 minutes to boot up and barely work.  I have some that are broken, some slow, in addition to three I sent back.

I would probably go with something new that I could keep longer.  Cost is less the issue than the hassle of replacing this stuff.

I am leading toward a custom laptop.  These are apparently Clevo bodies from several vendors with a menu of choices for processors, RAM and SSD.  Correct me if I am going down the wrong road.  This is just my current thinking.  I am not buying anything until I get the refund from the Lenovo. 
« Last Edit: April 29, 2019, 08:36:05 PM by LowRyter »
John L 

Offline Penderic

• Hatchling
« Reply #58 on: April 29, 2019, 10:00:42 PM »
Ever since they started using transistors, (and I can remember those old days), it has been downhill ever since.

:rolleyes:

Online AJ Huff

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #59 on: April 30, 2019, 07:19:50 AM »

I buy lots of things refurbished, laptops, cell phones, tablets, power tools, etc. New items go down an assembly line and testing is only done on a sample size. For refurbished, each one is tested before being sold again. I can't think of anything I've bought refurbished that failed after purchase.

-AJ
'71 Ambassador
'01 California Special
'05 Road King
MGNOC# L-753

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here