General Category > Bike Builds, Rebuilds And Restorations Only

My old 1000SP project returns

<< < (3/5) > >>

Michael Moore:

--- Quote from: Rick4003 on September 14, 2021, 01:57:06 PM ---But if you're the type who believe that the Guzzi BMW/Harley-Davidson Engineers knew exactly what was best and that it shouldn't be messed with
--- End quote ---

Fixed that for you.   :grin:

The few Guzzi people I've known have generally been at least mechanically inclined, and many have been interested in engine technology/gear-head stuff.  Perhaps that was just something from the old days, like how if you wanted to go road racing you generally had to build the bike yourself.  Now people walk into their dealership and buy the latest/greatest sport bike and have it safety wired and they're ready to race.  I've always found the tech stuff interesting, which is why I ended up designing and building frames for some of my race bikes.

On the other hand, old (and often not too wonderful) bikes/cars have more bad design features that give a person something to fiddle with.  There's no sense fiddling with a modern bike that in stock form goes 500% faster than I'll ever be able to ride it.

Pescatore:
Hey Michael, I found links with your name related to drag racing.  Do we have a champion on this forum????  Wow!

I appreciate any details.  Some of this stuff is over my head, so I turn to Google University.
It is tough to follow, considering the number of threads constantly churning on this forum.
Many times I don't have the time to do that, so I prefer more details.
Thanks,
Pescatore

Michael Moore:
I did a few runs at Wednesday night drags with my 500 Yamaha and the 650 Cagiva, but that's all.  My competition activities were in road racing, motocross and observed trials.  Generally, I've been a good Novice level rider, or an OK mid-pack intermediate, with trophies happening in small classes when no one fast shows up, or the fast person jumps the start/crashes/breaks.    :wink:  But not doing those things that make you lose is part of racing, so I didn't give those trophies back!

cheers,
Michael

Michael Moore:
Are damaged valve adjuster screw threads a common problem?

I've looked at two rocker arms from my 1978/79 1000SP so far (the others haven't surfaced).  Both of them have a similar "failure mode".    The 11mm-hex M8x1.0 jam nut can be loosened and backed off the pushrod adjuster screw without problem.  The screw can then be screwed in (ball end closer to the rocker arm) without problem.

But trying to remove the screw sees it move a bit and then jam up solid.  This happened on both screws.  I looked at the screws with some magnification and when rotating them the screws don't show obvious signs of being bent, and the threads don't appear damaged.

My guess is that a prior owner cranked down on the jam nuts pretty hard, and there's some minor distortion on the threads "above" (the side with the jam nut) the rocker arm.  It is probably over a short distance so the thin nut doesn't have any issues going over those threads, but once they are in the rocker arm which may also have a tighter clearance than the jam not, things get unhappy and stop moving.

I've cut one screw in half roughly where the jam nut was, and the portion with the ball end was then able to be unscrewed without jamming.

I'll be interested to see if the other two screws are the same way.  Is this kind of issue something that is relatively common where someone may have gotten a bit eager on making sure the jam nut didn't come loose?

thanks,
Michael

Michael Moore:
I found the box with the instruments, and the odometer is showing 46122 miles.  Guzzis may be fairly long lived, but I suspect that means I need to look at all "normal wear" items and expect to find some that are past their service life.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version