Author Topic: Why keep the /5  (Read 1483 times)

Offline Scout63

• Gaggle Hero
Why keep the /5
« on: September 29, 2021, 09:18:25 PM »
After putting a few miles on my ‘79 G5 rebuild, I find myself wondering if I should keep my ‘71 R75/5.  It just seems that the MG does everything better.  More power, MUCH better brakes, sweet handling, great intake and exhaust note, great low speed maneuverability, floorboards, heel toe shifter and better looking.  I can mount my Krausers on it and haul groceries too.  I don’t really need the money but it would be nice to have a few thousand dollars come my way, and one less bike to move around the garage is always appreciated.

I’ve owned airheads for 40 years and still have a ‘77 R100S in the wings for a future project.  It seems that the /5 and G5 fill the same role.   Would you keep both?
Ben Zehnder - Orleans, MA USA

Offline Shorty

• Gaggle Hero
  • "I'd rather lube a chain than crab a frame."
Re: Why keep the /5
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2021, 09:35:38 PM »
I would. Unless you NEED the money or space, why not winterize the BMW and give it a season or two to think it over? They are not getting easier to obtain, and they are fine motorcycles.
2017 Suzuki DR650
2021 Royal Enfield Meteor 350

Offline Tom H

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2021, 09:38:18 PM »
I would keep both.

Tom
2004 Cali EV Touring
1972 Eldo
1970 Ambo V1000
1973 R75/5 SWB with Toaster
2007 HD Street Bob
1953 Triumph 6T (one day it will be on the road!)

Offline Dimitri_Harkov

• Hatchling
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2021, 03:48:40 AM »
I'd also keep both. Great bikes.

If I had to sell something, I'd sell the R100S.

Cheers,
D.
2020 V7 III Stone Night Pack

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2021, 03:48:40 AM »

Offline reidy

• Gosling
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2021, 04:18:39 AM »
I will give the other side of the argument. Every possession you own requires some management input on you behalf. If you just park it and don't touch it, it will deteriorate. It takes up space. You may need to insure it in case you get a break in, house fire, flood or some other event.

At the moment old bikes are pulling very good money. In a couple of years it may be worth a heap more, or maybe the hype will be over.
Also remember if you have a major injury or die someone else has to sort your stuff.

I have a saying, "Own your possessions and don't let your possessions own you". What this means to me is that every possession should either be essential or bring a positive aspect to your life. If you have a possession that does not fit in this category and is taking any time, emotional stress or money to look after that possession is owning you and you should consider getting rid of it.

Only you can decide where the BMW fits.

Steve       

Offline sdcr

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2021, 06:43:22 AM »
I vote keep both. The /5 will appreciate in value, better than a bank checking account. It’ll be more interesting to own than the green backs.

After putting a few miles on my ‘79 G5 rebuild, I find myself wondering if I should keep my ‘71 R75/5.  It just seems that the MG does everything better.  More power, MUCH better brakes, sweet handling, great intake and exhaust note, great low speed maneuverability, floorboards, heel toe shifter and better looking.  I can mount my Krausers on it and haul groceries too.  I don’t really need the money but it would be nice to have a few thousand dollars come my way, and one less bike to move around the garage is always appreciated.

I’ve owned airheads for 40 years and still have a ‘77 R100S in the wings for a future project.  It seems that the /5 and G5 fill the same role.   Would you keep both?
John
2000 BMW R1100 RS
1983 BMW R100
2009 Jaguar XK

Offline SIR REAL ED

• Gaggle Hero
  • uh.... it's personal....
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2021, 07:03:42 AM »
I will give the other side of the argument. Every possession you own requires some management input on you behalf. If you just park it and don't touch it, it will deteriorate. It takes up space. You may need to insure it in case you get a break in, house fire, flood or some other event.

At the moment old bikes are pulling very good money. In a couple of years it may be worth a heap more, or maybe the hype will be over.
Also remember if you have a major injury or die someone else has to sort your stuff.

I have a saying, "Own your possessions and don't let your possessions own you". What this means to me is that every possession should either be essential or bring a positive aspect to your life. If you have a possession that does not fit in this category and is taking any time, emotional stress or money to look after that possession is owning you and you should consider getting rid of it.

Only you can decide where the BMW fits.

Steve       

My perspective as well.  Once past the stage of poverty, it becomes very easy to acquire so much that one is ruled by their possessions.  Easy for me to pass thru phases of acquiring and simplifying.

Marcus Aurelius - "The owner of so many goods has no room left to ease himself."

Since joy is a personal perspective, only the owner can decide what is worth keeping or selling.
"If reading shite on the internet will trigger your head exploding, please wrap your head in Gorilla tape before logging on.  Thanks!!!"

2019 Beta EVO 250
1999 Suzuki DR 650 w/790cc kit
1994, 2001, & 2002 MZ Skorpions
1992 YAMAHA TDM850

Offline wymple

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2021, 08:19:16 AM »
"If you have a possession that does not fit in this category and is taking any time, emotional stress or money to look after that possession is owning you and you should consider getting rid of it."

No need to bring the women into it..... :grin:
No trees were harmed by the conveyance of this message, but a lot of electrons were seriously disturbed.

Offline Shorty

• Gaggle Hero
  • "I'd rather lube a chain than crab a frame."
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2021, 08:21:32 AM »
"If you have a possession that does not fit in this category and is taking any time, emotional stress or money to look after that possession is owning you and you should consider getting rid of it."

No need to bring the women into it..... :grin:
     :bow:
2017 Suzuki DR650
2021 Royal Enfield Meteor 350

Offline moto

• Gaggle Mentor
  • Potrebbe andare peggio, potrebbe piovere!
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2021, 09:10:44 AM »

No. I would sell the BMW. I was very happy to get rid of my R90/6 for similar reasons. A motorcycle should not just be something you invest in.
850 T-3
Griso 1100 corretto
2023 Royal Enfield Classic 350
Italjet Buccaneer 250 (ex-SSR) -- now sold
credit for 2500+ postings lost in the database meltdown of Feb 9, 2020

Offline Tkelly

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2021, 09:45:39 AM »
If you don’t need the cash ,donate it to your favorite charity for a raffle.You will feel great and whoever wins will also feel great.Win win situation bonus is more garage space and tax deduction.

Offline vintagehoarder

• Cycle Hoarders
  • Gaggle Mentor
  • Ride to Eat, Eat To Ride
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2021, 09:54:39 AM »
They are starting to get collectible as the prices rise on them.
Cyclehoarders Garage
2021 Honda CT125 Trail Cub
2018 Triumph Tiger 800
2014 Moto Guzzi California Touring 1400
2014 Moto Guzzi V7 Speical
2009 Vepsa GTS 250 ie
1987 Suzuki Samurai (4 Wheels)
1981 Honda CX500 Deluxe
1973 Moto Guzzi Eldorado 850
1969 Yamaha YAS1C
La Grange, KY

Offline Mayor_of_BBQ

• Instagram: @Mayor_of_BBQ
  • Gaggle Hero
  • 'Ever thus to deadbeats, Lebowski'
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2021, 12:35:46 PM »
These older BMW's are hot right now, might make sense to sell it while values are high and be done with it. If you find it less enjoyable to ride than your other bike now....  I dont think draining the tank and carbs, taking the plate off and moving it around your garage for 5 years is going to improve that.
Chad (Shadrach) in Asheville NC
1979 LeMans CX-100 (battle axe)
2007 Breva 1100 (Sport 1200 tribute)

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2021, 04:26:32 PM »
It just seems that the MG does everything better.
You've answered your own question. It will also do everything better than the R100S. <shrug> Just MHO..
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline Scout63

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2021, 04:42:03 PM »
You all are so great. The feedback is spot on.  The /5 developed a starting glitch about 8 months ago that I could solve in a day, two tops.  But I haven’t even tried, instead focusing on the G5 build and maintaining my Commando.  I think that might be my answer. I will need to get it running right and clean it up before selling, so there is a month or so to think about it.
Ben Zehnder - Orleans, MA USA

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2021, 06:50:12 PM »
You might want to wait till Spring to sell, that way you won't feel rushed and you'll get a better price for it.
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Offline JJ

• Gaggle Hero
  • Life is meant to ENJOY...not "endure."
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2021, 11:36:23 AM »
I would. Unless you NEED the money or space, why not winterize the BMW and give it a season or two to think it over? They are not getting easier to obtain, and they are fine motorcycles.

Agree 100%...

I would have NO issues owning / riding another vintage airhead...and I have had five (5) in my time.  :thumb:

As far as the modern air/oil head models...these ain't bad either!! :wink: :thumb: :cool: :smiley:

« Last Edit: October 01, 2021, 01:59:14 PM by JJ »
Life Member: MGNOC L-772, AMA, HOG
'98 V10 Centauro GT
Village of Oak Creek, AZ

Offline Moparnut72

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2021, 01:30:27 PM »
I had a couple, R75/5 and a an R90/6. Both excellent bikes. My V7lll reminds me of the R90.
kk
Mopar or Nocar
2023 V100 Marina
2019 V7lll Special
MGNOC #24053
Amiga computer shop owner: "Americans are great consumers but terrible shoppers".

Offline kidsmoke

• Gaggle Hero
  • It's never too late to be what you might have been
« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2021, 01:55:21 PM »

Never owned  BMW. I agree though, that they're beautiful bikes.

In the last two weeks, while discussing the G5 with 2 long in the tooth (former) owners of /5 and /6 /100 motorcycles, both said unequivocally that the affair with the airheads ended with the ownership of sorted tonti's. One went so far as to sell off his collection and become a Guzzi dealer. Both specifically said in a head to head, the G5 - or T's win out on the things that matter most. I was a bit surprised, honestly.

Consistent then, that you are experiencing this dilemma.  I agree with Perazzimx14....some one will be out of their minds with an airhead you've been through. Don't interfere with their bliss.
'79 G5
'93 1000S
'00 Jackal
'09 GRiSO

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2021, 05:46:29 PM »
I've had two Break My Wallets. Bitch Moan Whine. Bavarian Manure Wagons.  :smiley:
I've always said I'm a slow learner..
Guzzi FTW.
Chuck, Deacon,
Church of Guzzi
 :grin:

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline SmithSwede

• Gaggle Hero
  • I don't want a pickle
« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2021, 09:47:51 PM »
Chuck, please level with us.  What do you really think about BMWs?
Accentuate the positive;
Eliminate the negative;
Latch on to the affirmative;
Don't mess with Mister In-Between.

Offline blackcat

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2021, 06:48:45 AM »
I've had two Break My Wallets. Bitch Moan Whine. Bavarian Manure Wagons.  :smiley:
Guzzi FTW.
Chuck, Deacon,
Church of Guzzi

:thumb:
I’d rather ride a Guzzi.
1968 Norton Fastback
1976 Lemans
1981 CX-100
1993 1000S
1997 Daytona RS
2007 Red Norge

Offline JJ

• Gaggle Hero
  • Life is meant to ENJOY...not "endure."
« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2021, 07:28:22 AM »
Guzzi FTW.
Chuck, Deacon,
Church of Guzzi

Have to say...never heard these two:  Bitch-Moan-Whine and Bavarian Manure Wagons!! :laugh: :grin: :wink:  How about "Bring-Money-With"

Chuck is indeed the "Deacon of the Church of Guzzi"  :laugh: :grin: :wink: :thumb: :bow:
Life Member: MGNOC L-772, AMA, HOG
'98 V10 Centauro GT
Village of Oak Creek, AZ

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2021, 09:09:58 AM »
Bitch-Moan-Whine

The Kid said a BMW mechanic told him that one.  :smiley:

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

Offline sdcr

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #24 on: October 02, 2021, 09:10:18 AM »
The one our local Beemer crowd use is, Bring More Wallet
Have to say...never heard these two:  Bitch-Moan-Whine and Bavarian Manure Wagons!! :laugh: :grin: :wink:  How about "Bring-Money-With"

Chuck is indeed the "Deacon of the Church of Guzzi"  :laugh: :grin: :wink: :thumb: :bow:
John
2000 BMW R1100 RS
1983 BMW R100
2009 Jaguar XK

Offline Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #25 on: October 02, 2021, 10:32:36 AM »
I've just had two /5s through the shop - a '71 R60/5 and a '73 R75/5. I enjoyed working on and test riding both. If I didn't have (multiple) Loopframe Guzzis, I'd probably buy that basketcase /5 from my friend Joe and resurrect it.

Charlie

Offline Rich A

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #26 on: October 02, 2021, 11:44:32 AM »
If the G5 has your motorcycle fun box ticked, I'd sell it and look for another box to tick. Maybe an electric bicycle or motorcycle. Some fishing gear. A shotgun.

Rich A

Offline Tusayan

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #27 on: October 02, 2021, 09:41:13 PM »

Last month I rode my 106K mile R100GS for about 2000 miles in the Alps, actually as far south as Lucca (in Tuscany). I returned to my new V85TT and rode it a few hundred miles, enough to reacquaint myself with it.  Then I asked myself which I would rather ride, and the honest answer was probably the BMW but it could go either way.  The TT really does operate like a modernized R100GS and I think a preference between the two comes down to whether your prefer modern and quite effective (but still mostly simple) or just plain starkly simple while almost equally effective.  I lean a bit towards the latter.  An R100GS is a very good bike for that kind of riding, day after day on the best twisty roads in the world, better than any Guzzi of the same era.

I suspect those who think as posted above about BMWs missed the ‘almost perfect’ era :laugh: of the late 80s and early 90s.  The 70s stuff was not anywhere near as good and the complexity of the newer BMWs makes me wince. This was BTW the worst era for BMWs motorcycle business, showing that as with Guzzi sales, Everyman buyer knows very little about motorcycles.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2021, 09:53:25 PM by Tusayan »

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here