General Category > General Discussion

Headed to Italy in March

(1/9) > >>

Beowulf:
Visiting Italy for a week in March. Flying in to Rome and going to see Florence and Venice as well. Anyone have good recommendations in this area of local foods or restaurants? Just figure I’d ask. Thanks in advance.

LongRanger:
That’s an impossible request. The food in Italy is fabulous wherever you go. Try everything.

LowRyter:
Just sample the sidewalk fare.  Got my best pizza that way.  Look for delis and the best sandwiches.

Make sure you get at least a couple of meals of Spaghetti Carbonara.  Look for anything that has fresh fish or veggies and go with what the restaurant is known for.   Find some seafood, get the specialty, and also look for Cioppino.

Grab an Aperol Spritz in St Mark's Square.  Stay around and listen to the jazz and chamber music.  Go to an opera.  Vatican and Coliseum,  David in Florence.

If you get hungry for a burger or steak, or want ice in your drink, go to an American restaurant  (Hard Rock, 5 Guys, McDonalds, etc.).   The Italian food is great but they can't fix American food (but in a week's time you may not get the craving. Over four weeks we did twice and failed twice).

hzbloke:
Do a tiny bit of homework and find out what the local dishes are. Seek them out. The best pizza is often in the places where you stand up to eat it. If you have time book a  private, walking food tour. If a restaurant has a sign 'Menu Turistico' walk briskly in the opposite direction. Try and find restaurants that are part of the Slow Food movement (logo is a red snail). It guarantees regional food and local, seasonal ingredients.

Pay for a guided tour of the Vatican. Don't pay to see Michelangelo's David. There's an exact replica standing in the square on the spot where the original was made for.

Beowulf:
Thanks for the red snail tip. I’m really looking forward to this.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version