General Category > General Discussion

Side Stand switch issue, advise sought.

(1/4) > >>

Ncdan:
The 02 Stone Stone developed an ignition issue, from one ride to another, for the most part.
The symptoms were severe backfiring through the exhaust,  total motor shutdown briefly, then back to running fine.

I called a WGC member and ran the bikes symptoms by him.
His advice was to start with the simple possible Solutions and recommended starting with the kickstand switch.
The only way I knew how to check the switch was to take a ride and mess with the stand.

Ad soon as I got the bike up to speed, with my heel, I bumped the stand and the motor immediately hesitated and backfired. I did not push the stand down which would have caused a disconnect, switch against the stand adjustment bolt to the switch, just bumping the stand would immediately cause a disruption in the electrical flow causing backfiring and motor shutdown.
I could even push on the stand sideways to get the same effect.

When I got home I had wife to sit in the bike while I put the stand up.
The adjustable bolt head on the stand connected with the switch plunger and pushed it in about half way.

The question.
Should I start by attempting to adjust the switch plunge/bolt contact, maybe adjusting it to depress the switch a little more, discount the entire system or simply replace the switch with a new one???

Thanks in advance for advice and recommendations.

Dan

Caffeineo:
Cheap and easy to adjust the switch. Also easy to wire it closed (or is it open?) but the first time you think it is in neutral and hit the starter while standing next to the bike.........Learne d from experience. ;)

guzzisteve:
This why you check stand 1st.  You can unplug it unless you have the later logic relay set up. Then you jump across at relay.

Ncdan:

--- Quote from: guzzisteve on June 30, 2022, 02:38:45 PM ---This why you check stand 1st.  You can unplug it unless you have the later logic relay set up. Then you jump across at relay.

--- End quote ---
Thanks for the replies guys!!
I found the issue problem. Thanks to a MG member.!
I peeled back the rubber boot and one of the two wires connected to the switch had partially disconnected.
After cleaning and reconnecting the test ride seems to be running fine and bumping the stand no longer disrupts the switch.

Now… how to totally do away with this feature that I do not feel that I need.
I fear traveling down the road or interstate and having a sudden loss of power more than Riding off with my kickstand down. 🤔

yogidozer:
I'd do away with it, I can tell when my side stand is down. :rolleyes:
If you think maybe some day you might want it back, just remove the nut holing the switch to the bracket,
replace it with an acorn nut to hold the switch plunger in.
Wasn't this subject discussed before? I posted a picture then.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version