General Category > General Discussion

early 850 lemans starter color ????

(1/2) > >>

dsrdave:
I'm getting close to painting the starter on my early Lemans and I'm finding conflicting info.  The second gen bikes all seem to have a black starter but the first gen I think is different.  Possibly all silver or parts of it silver.  I haven't been able to find good photos of when the bike was introduced showing what I'm looking for on a first gen bike (round taillight).  Anybody able to help out without guessing ?????  Thx, Dave.

lrutt:
My 77 had an all black starter, and I'm quite certain it's original and had not been repainted.

steven c:
 My 77 also was, is black.

leafman60:
For what it's worth, Colombo's book shows the 850 LeMans, an early version with the molded-in tail light bracket on the rear fender. The engine and transmission are natural bare but the starter and solenoid are painted black.

Page 264, 4th edition

The same is true in Mick Walker's Moto Guzzi Twins , page 74 where a 1976 picture of an early LeMans shows the starter and solenoid in black.

Both of these show the entire starter/solenoid as would be detached from the engine as painted black.

luthier:
Paint the f@$&ing thing black fer F$%k sake. Stop c$&tizing about. Everyone has black starters, it's a Guzzi thang.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version