General Category > General Discussion

Waterproof Bike Cover?

(1/13) > >>

JeffOlson:
We are making a lifestyle change. We just sold our newer, fancy house in a suburban bedroom community and have moved to a very old, rustic farm house on acres of land.

Our dogs love it (and I am warming up to it), but there is no garage (or barn) I can use. Consequently, I will need to park my daily commuter Norge out in the elements.

Should I get a cover for it, or just not worry about it? It is sunny and warm now. However, come fall, it will be cold and wet.

not-fishing:
Depends on how long you're going to stay

I'd at least get one of those shade awnings with side panels and stake it down (or cast it in concrete). 

If I was planning on staying for 5 years I build a Barn with a studio apartment, big screen, bar, loading bench, workbench, bike lift, car lift, basement........... ...

Mark

Dean Rose:
DOWCO covers are what I used when we had an apartment.

Dean

Triple Jim:
It it were me, I think I'd build a fair sized shed, maybe like you can get from Home Depot, put it on a concrete slab, and insulate it well.  Then I could optionally run a dehumidifier if necessary.  In my experience, the problems saved from chasing corrosion and fuel system problems would be well worth it, and you'd have a great place to do maintenance on it.

rocker59:
Are you parking it on dirt?  That won't be good for it, even if you cover it.  Hopefully you've got a concrete pad, or at the very least a nice packed gravel pad to park it on.

Even covered, the bike will be subject to the elements 24/7, so will suffer for it.  Moisture will rust and corode anything that can rust and corode, and the cover will probably scratch the paint because of wind ruffling it constantly.

Consider spending some money for a small detached garage to keep the bike and other things in.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version