Author Topic: Bike Week... an alternate universe devoid of reality  (Read 5270 times)

Online Turin

• Gaggle Hero
    • crap and stuff
Re: Bike Week... an alternate universe devoid of reality
« Reply #30 on: March 18, 2019, 10:59:01 PM »

And it's fine not to like something, but one doesn't have to be a dick about it, that's all.

Perfectly stated!
1997 Daytona RS
1991 Rennsport California III
1991 LeMans 1000
1987 LeMans SE Dave's Cycle Racer
1984 LeMans III
1985 Sidlow Guzzi
1974 850-T Sport
1969 A-series Ambassador
1996 Triumph Daytona 1200
1996 Triumph Daytona 900
1982 Alfa Romeo GTV6 Balocco SE 3.0

Offline blu guzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • Loves to ride
« Reply #31 on: March 19, 2019, 06:16:05 AM »
I had my last Harley from Labor Day 2005 until June 2008.  I never got away for either Sturgis or Bike Week but followed them on the HD chat forums.  Those were also the peak years for bike sale in the US, up to about a million.  I think it was the last hurrah for the boomers on bikes.  Yes, some of them have stuck around, but I think it ran its course for many.  I have not followed these events since then, but am a little sad to read that last post about how it all seems to be fading.  I don't think this post adds any real insight, just a late boomer (60) with regrets.
Blue Guzz

Offline ohiorider

• Gaggle Hero
  • "You can't fight in here - this is the War Room."
« Reply #32 on: March 19, 2019, 06:21:33 AM »
There is a place in The World for them, all.

They have their counterparts in the automotive world...

I love '58 Impalas!  Don't recall if the Continental kits were OEM or aftermarket by '58.

My generation!

Bob
Main ride:  2008 Guzzi 1200 Sport (sold July 2020)
2012 Griso 8v SE (sold Sept '15)
Reliable standby: 1991 BMW R100GS
2014 Honda CB1100 (Traded Nov 2019)
New:  2016 Triumph T120 (Traded Dec 2021)
New:  2021 Kawasaki W800

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #33 on: March 19, 2019, 07:20:37 AM »
I've been going to bike week off and on for 30 years now.  It aint' what it used to be.  The Harley display at the Convention Center...gone.  The big HOG concert on Friday night (saw ZZ Top one year) gone. The HD parade to the races...gone. BMW demos...gone. Once, many years ago, even Moto Guzzi had a small demo tent set up.  I rode a V11 LeMans.  Millers...and all the surrounding vendors...gone.  Beach Street vendors...gone.  MMI horsepower dyno contest...gone, along with MMI.  Hell, even the Shark lounge is gone! Is nothing sacred?

When I lived in Daytona Beach there were no gates keeping people off the beach.  No charge to get on the beach.  The drag races during bike week were held on 11th street west of town.  The cabbage patch was an empty field.  Main Street had year round businesses and The Boothill Saloon was reserved for 1 percenters.  Times change.
2022 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2018 V7 III Carbon Dark #0009 of 1921
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200
2009 Harley Davidson Softail Custom

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: March 19, 2019, 07:20:37 AM »

Offline bodine99

• Gosling
« Reply #34 on: March 19, 2019, 01:09:31 PM »
I've been going to bike week off and on for 30 years now.  It aint' what it used to be.  The Harley display at the Convention Center...gone.  The big HOG concert on Friday night (saw ZZ Top one year) gone. The HD parade to the races...gone. BMW demos...gone. Once, many years ago, even Moto Guzzi had a small demo tent set up.  I rode a V11 LeMans.  Millers...and all the surrounding vendors...gone.  Beach Street vendors...gone.  MMI horsepower dyno contest...gone, along with MMI.  Hell, even the Shark lounge is gone! Is nothing sacred?
It's going to get worse. The France's and realtor giant Hyatt Brown are joining forces to transform the main & beach streets and city park. high rise offices and condo's coming

Online Motormike

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #35 on: March 19, 2019, 07:46:52 PM »
I can remember during the early nineties (when was the fiftieth anniversary....1991 or 92?) the crowds were so big the police would CLOSE the island bridges to all inbound traffic!  No one could get in because of the grid-lock until people left. Of course, back then all the bikes were carbureted, and often jetted too rich so you would here lots of Harleys popping, backfiring, over-heating, and basically running like shit.  I commented to my buddy this year how with fuel injection you don't hear much of that bad running any more.  I know change is the only constant, but it's still hard not to feel sad and nostolgic for the old days.   

Offline bodine99

• Gosling
« Reply #36 on: March 20, 2019, 09:08:18 AM »
Big fun at the vintage stuff at the armory with Despain videos playing, Birch's Triumph, Robisons HD Rats Hole show when it wasn't twin cams and big wheel baggers!!!

Online Motormike

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #37 on: March 20, 2019, 07:39:25 PM »
Robisons.  The first year I went to bike week, Robisons was still the Harley dealer in Daytona.  Bikes all over the place, you could barely find a spot to park.  Now it's just another empty building with a for sale/lease sign in the window. 

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here