Author Topic: Guzzidiag: Does my Quota have Guzzi's software upgrade?  (Read 2735 times)

Offline GearheadGrrrl

• Gaggle Mentor
Guzzidiag: Does my Quota have Guzzi's software upgrade?
« on: March 26, 2016, 01:05:12 PM »
Trying to get Guzzidiag Mac version to work on my Quota. Have gotten the reader and Guzzidiag to connect, but no luck getting them to save files. It is telling me that it is "IAW 15M PF10" (top line) "61600.428.00" (middle line) and "GQUC3901" (bottom line). Does this sound like the software update Guzzi offered? It's also giving me values for various parameters on the Guzzidiag "dashboard", but I have no idea what values are supposed to be "normal"- Anywhere I can look that up?

I'm trying to figure out why it keeps fouling the left plug, so if Guzzidiag doesn't work I may see if I can swap the coils and injectors side for side to diagnose, if that's possible. In the meantime, I'm gonna try the Windows and Linux versions of Guzzidiag to see if I can get full functionality. Any suggestions?
Guzzi: Quota with Motorvation 'hack
BMWs: F800S, R100GS, R80ST with Motorvation Spyder 'hack, R65LS
Hacks: Motovation Spyder and Formula II
Buell: M2L, RIP Buell Motors Corporation
Yamaha: MX250 $25 auction find, "static display" for now, XS650 "on loan" from my brother, 'nother "static displa

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • vee git tooh soon oldt und too late wise -my Dad
Re: Guzzidiag: Does my Quota have Guzzi's software upgrade?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2016, 01:24:23 PM »
I'd first inspect the coil lead, is it seated tight in the coil and the plug cap screwed into the wire tight?
MINNEAPOLIS, MN

Offline cloudbase

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2016, 03:05:50 PM »
When I rode out to Seattle last year, I stopped by MI.  Jason took a quick look at the Quota and told me about (unknown to me) problems with the stock spark plug caps.  While mine hadn't exhibited any problems, I took his advice and replaced them.  A few dollars and five minutes is cheap for not being left on the roadside 2400 miles from home.

Edit to add:  There was also a replacement ECU, but I can't recall exactly what designated having the replacement.  I believe it was a letter or number following the part number.  Or something like that.  Somebody on the Yahoo Quota group would know definitively.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2016, 03:08:14 PM by cloudbase »

Offline GearheadGrrrl

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2016, 03:21:57 PM »
Not sure if my Quota has the Guzzi reflash- It looks like the outline of a sticker like the Guzzi dealers put on the reflashed bikes is there, but it's unreadable. I tried using the Windows and Linux versions of Guzzidiag, but didn't get anywhere near as far as I did with the Mac version... Could be that the Parallels emulation software is causing glitches. I checked the connections at the coil again and they're good. It was missing at all speeds, so I cleaned the usual left plug again and it ran OK, but after a few minutes was missing at anything above 2000 RPM again. I've already replaced the spark plug wires and caps, so I'm tempted to try swapping the coils and see if the plug fouling moves to the other side.
Yamaha: MX250 $25 auction find, "static display" for now, XS650 "on loan" from my brother, 'nother "static displa

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2016, 03:21:57 PM »

Offline Hahnda

• Gaggle Mentor
    • Scrambler Cycle
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2016, 04:38:36 PM »
If I remember correct I took a look at your ECU at one of the rallies, I even still have a picture of it. The number on the side of your ECU was different then other Quota numbers I have seen.  Yours did not have the KM Quota 1100 OI on it. That doesn't mean that someone didn't reflash the ECU though.

Yours-

Mine-

I have had Guzzidiag working and checked out several Quoti. I am fairly confident that I the ones I have checked out have the updated map, not that its all that great though, but that another story.

If you are ever up this way I could see what you have on your ECU and reflash if needed or you could just send it. I have done it that way before for a couple people.
2003 V11 Lemans - 2000 Quota w/ Sidecar
1996 California - 1976 Convert
1975 850T -750S Project - 1975 Eldorado Police
1973 Eldorado - 3x 1971 Ambassador
1970 Ambassador - 1963 Stornello Sport
1949 GTV - 1948 Airone

www.scramblercycle. com

beetle

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2016, 04:45:42 PM »
This issue with Macs seems to pop up occasionally. I'm not a Mac user, so please be gentle. Could it be a permissions issue? Are .bin files 'hidden' on MacOS? I recall one situation where the files were being saved to somewhere unexpected.

As for your Quota, what MY is it? There is another map available, 3D02GQ01, which was released with the 2001 Quota (if my info is correct).

« Last Edit: March 26, 2016, 04:46:40 PM by beetle »

Offline bmc5733946

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2016, 06:21:24 PM »
I hesitate to share this information because it is necessarily incomplete and coming from my weak memory for these things, but here goes.  Early on after we first got Quotas we were informed that some Quotas were having running issues and that there was a new ECU available from Guzzi.  We were instructed to replace ECUs that rattled when shaken, we were told it had something to do with  the altitude compensation circuitry.  We actually tried several different 15M units from various models on various models, mix and match if you will.  All bikes ran on any 15M we installed, some better than others.  Nothing scientific mind you.  This information should give some indication on the accuracy of factory programming for the 15m ECU given the great difference of the configuration of the various models.  I truly believe that all the 15Ms were victims of a one size fits all program and believe that the factory was so cheap they just used the same map in everything.  Some bikes with 15Ms ran so well they never needed tweaking, some so badly no amount of tweaking would help, leaving one to adjust TPSs by ear instead of by the book.  It would be interesting to go back in time, now that we have GUZZI DIAG, and read all the maps and catalog the differences.  I'm not up to the task, anybody else?  I would love to be proven wrong on the mapping thing and find out each bike had its own mapping done individually!

Brian
1989 MILLE GT 
2004 BREVA 750     
1975  Convert

Offline GearheadGrrrl

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2016, 09:55:43 PM »
Thanks for saving that photo, was a couple years ago. There's some residue of a sticker there, but it's unreadable... So who knows if it's been reflashed or not. Just read up in Guzziology on coils and such, think I'll test the coils next.

If I remember correct I took a look at your ECU at one of the rallies, I even still have a picture of it. The number on the side of your ECU was different then other Quota numbers I have seen.  Yours did not have the KM Quota 1100 OI on it. That doesn't mean that someone didn't reflash the ECU though.

Yours-

Mine-

I have had Guzzidiag working and checked out several Quoti. I am fairly confident that I the ones I have checked out have the updated map, not that its all that great though, but that another story.

If you are ever up this way I could see what you have on your ECU and reflash if needed or you could just send it. I have done it that way before for a couple people.

Offline pauldaytona

• Gaggle Hero
    • Paul's fast Guzzi Page
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2016, 03:51:54 PM »
I also have a quota map named 61600.428.04 3D02GQ0I that seems never while higher number.  But problems come not from a map. Things like one side poor running are mostly outside ecu.
Paul

Daytona 1225, Stelvio 1151

Download Guzzidiag here: http://www.von-der-salierburg.de/download/GuzziDiag/

Offline GearheadGrrrl

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2016, 04:00:12 PM »
Thanks Paul. I checked the coils and found one ohm resistance across the primaries of both, then swapped the coils side for side and cleaned the plugs, then ran it long enough to warm up good. Still getting some mid range miss but smooth at idle. But I'm now getting pretty much equal temps on both cylinders, and when I checked the plugs they both got a bit blackened while the right one instead of the usual left one had a bit of liquid on it. So who knows what's going on? I'm tempted to swap the injectors, but not sure if they're both the same.

pete roper

« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2016, 05:37:58 PM »
Is the TB balance properly adjusted? The Quota has that godawful bloody throttle body that is a prick to get to and an even bigger prick to adjust!

Pete

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here