Author Topic: Tube tire flat kit  (Read 2641 times)

Online Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
Re: Tube tire flat kit
« Reply #30 on: February 17, 2021, 02:07:03 PM »
I strongly recommend you learn how to and practice fixing a flat. My V7 only had a side stand so I carried a Snap-Jack to enable lifting the wheel off the ground.

Yes on the practice, practice, practice.

More than once, I just laid the motorcycle on the side in the grass, and pulled the tire out. Might be a problem on a Norge, with the plastic, but most other models are easy.
Scientist have discovered that people will believe anything, if you first say "Scientists have discovered...."

Offline guzziart

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #31 on: February 17, 2021, 04:46:44 PM »
I have used rope plugs on my own stuff on three different occasions and a few times to help others get back on the road.  The rope plugs worked fine to get me where I was going but then I replaced the tire as soon as possible.  I (personally) have little faith in their longevity.  I know of a fellow rider that plugged his tire several weeks prior to a ride to the Va. rally from NE Ohio, luckily he didn't have an accident as the tire deflated on I77s in Charleston, WVa.  He got the tire replaced at a local HD dealer.  I suspect he may not have properly installed the rope plug.  Or the rope plug failed from heat build up in the tire.  It was in the 90's that day, maybe the rope plug glue/sealant softened up and inflation pressure forced the plug out of the tire...idk.  I carry rope plugs on the bike and will use them as needed but I don't consider them as a lasting permanent repair.  Yeah, it's a pisser to toss out a baloney with plenty of meat on it.  And, noI ain't rich. :sad:

'71 CB350, '72 Eldo, '72 CL350, '81 CB125s, '87 LMIVSE, '91 CT70, '03 V11 Lemans, '08 Wing  ('12 Wee Strom - R.I.P.)

Online egschade

• Gaggle Hero
  • Eric - MGNOC NJ Rep - mgnocnj.forumotion.com
« Reply #32 on: June 21, 2021, 01:30:29 PM »
Hey Rick,

When you put this type of product inside the tire, does it gum up the valve in the stem and cause problems adding/relieving pressure due to changes in the ambient temperature?

When I put it in my tubes I blew the stems clear w/ air before putting the valves back. Have checked pressure and added air a couple times w/o issue. Centrifugal force pushes it away from the stem.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2021, 08:20:46 AM by egschade »
The elder Eric in NJ

2020 V85TT Adventure
1985 LeMans 1000
2005 BMW F650GS

Past Guzzis:
V65 SP
V7 III
V50
Griso 1200SE Tenni
Breva 1100
EV Touring

Offline kingoffleece

• SplitWeight(tm) seat covers
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Rated 5 STARS Motorcycle Consumer News
« Reply #33 on: June 21, 2021, 03:50:46 PM »
For rope plugs impossible to beat Nealy plugs.

https://www.nealeytirerepairkit.com/

I'll never have tubes ever again.  It's really the only automatic disqualifier for me-and no, this does not assist the OP!  FWIW, if it was my bike I'd swap wheels (which I did on my Jackal) or remove and seal.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2021, 03:54:03 PM by kingoffleece »
SplitWeight(tm) seat covers. A King of Fleece LLC product.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: June 21, 2021, 03:50:46 PM »

Offline ozarquebus

• Grand Canyon Pack Rat
  • Gaggle Mentor
  • Riding since 1979
« Reply #34 on: June 21, 2021, 09:44:25 PM »
Hot Patch Kit was the best. Gone since, when? 1960?
Watching my dad fix the old skins on the '56 Plymouth was literally very flashy.

« Last Edit: June 21, 2021, 09:57:21 PM by ozarquebus »
John

V1000 G5 (ex-cop impersonator)
 Convert Hangar Queen

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here