Author Topic: Arg...property tax evaluation.  (Read 3816 times)

Offline Gliderjohn

• Gaggle Hero
Arg...property tax evaluation.
« on: August 15, 2019, 07:47:01 PM »
Just received my bill for annual tag renewal. My 2011 Norge is evaluated at about 50% value of my 2013 Nissan PU. WTF? Contacted the treasurers office and asked how they arrived at that figure as my Norge would at best be worth a third of my PU value.
Well...in KS it is all based on a "formula" taken from the full list price when new. Market price changes, milage, condition, etc. be dammed.  :angry:
GliderJohn
John Peters
East Mountains, NM

Rough Edge racing

Re: Arg...property tax evaluation.
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2019, 07:02:21 AM »
 So your vehicles are included in property tax evaluations? How many states do this?

Offline Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2019, 07:13:46 AM »
So your vehicles are included in property tax evaluations? How many states do this?

I don't have a solid number but I know it's at least a few. VA and CT are included if memory serves me correctly.

Now I believe their real estate taxes are nothing like states that don't yearly have personal property tax assessments so there's a bit of an offset.

Still it would make it more difficult for me to live in places like VA or CT and justify 4-5 new(er) bikes and a couple of cars.

I can also see why it would be maddening to someone who has an vehicle that plummets in value even more than the rest as soon as it has been taken off the showroom floor.

EDIT FROM "THE GOOGLE"

What states have property taxes on cars?
Residents of Alabama, the District of Columbia, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Hawaii, Idaho, Illinois, Louisiana, Maryland, North Dakota, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, Pennsylvania, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Vermont, Washington, and Wisconsin pay nothing at all in state vehicle property ...May 29, 2015

So I'm assuming from that quote the other about half the states DO pay taxes on vehicle property?

See also

https://www.fool.com/investing/general/2015/05/29/the-states-with-the-lowest-car-tax.aspx

« Last Edit: August 16, 2019, 07:19:31 AM by Kev m »
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline stonelover

• Gosling
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2019, 07:55:14 AM »
WV does place a property tax on all motor vehicles, however the assessors value is equal to or below my estimate.  Low real estate taxes more than compensate for the property tax.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2019, 07:55:14 AM »

Offline MGrego

• Gosling
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2019, 08:14:53 AM »
Texas has no vehicle property tax and no State income tax either.  However, real estate property tax is through the roof !  :thewife:

The government gets it income one way or another...

Offline Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2019, 08:23:09 AM »
Texas has no vehicle property tax and no State income tax either.  However, real estate property tax is through the roof !  :thewife:

Tell me about it .... said the guy from NJ!
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline Bulldog9

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2019, 08:40:50 AM »
Yeah, it's getting ridiculous.... I'm able to escape the VA personal property tax, but will go away when I retire in a few years. Most of my vehicles are registered and titled in Tennessee, though the last two new car purchases were titled in VA (4.5% sales tax VS 7%).

We are wanting to stay on the East Coast, and prefer VA, but weighing all the 'tax' issues is daunting. I have my old Yamaha and P car on antique plates, so the tax man wont be able to get their pound of flesh, but will have to explore options on the other vehicles. I dont mind paying 'my fair share' but at some point it is too much. Death by a million cuts.....
MGNOC#23231
The Living: 1976 Convert, 2004 Breva 750, 2007 GRiSO, 2008 1200 Sport, 2016 Stornello #742,
The Departed: 2017 MGX, 2014 Norge GT, 
In Stasis: 1978 XS750, XS1100SF

Online rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2019, 08:43:34 AM »
Many States have both Personal Property Tax and Real Estate Property Tax.

Autos, Motos, RVs, Trailers, etc. are listed on Personal Property Tax.

In my State, the Personal Property Tax I pay is a pittance.  And, so are the annual license tags. 

Insurance?  Now that's something to get pissed off about.  All the uninsured motorists running around wreaking havoc have been driving the prices up for those of us who keep our vehicles insured. 
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline kingoffleece

• SplitWeight(tm) seat covers
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Rated 5 STARS Motorcycle Consumer News
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2019, 09:12:14 AM »
I live in New York.  How can anything tax wise be worse?
UGH
SplitWeight(tm) seat covers. A King of Fleece LLC product.

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2019, 09:18:28 AM »
Many States have both Personal Property Tax and Real Estate Property Tax.

Autos, Motos, RVs, Trailers, etc. are listed on Personal Property Tax.

"Indiana. Land of Taxes" It should be on the license plate.
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline blackcat

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2019, 09:20:33 AM »

Insurance?  Now that's something to get pissed off about.  All the uninsured motorists running around wreaking havoc have been driving the prices up for those of us who keep our vehicles insured.

In Floriduh the uninsured motorists costs are stupid, compared to the uninsured motorist costs in NY State. I paid One Dollar for uninsured motorists per car/bikes in NY.
1968 Norton Fastback
1976 Lemans
1981 CX-100
1993 1000S
1997 Daytona RS
2007 Red Norge

Offline brider

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2019, 09:50:06 AM »
UGH

Try living in CT. Yes, we pay insane real-estate tax based on property values jacked up by the presence of Greenwich and the likes in Fairfield county. All vehicles are also subject to yearly Personal Property tax, determined by NADA value multiplied by the individual town's mil-rate.

How un-fair is that? The mil-rate in Westport (another Fairfield cty snooty town) is FAR lower than in  Bridgeport (old industrial town in New Haven cty, 20 mi from Westport, kind of Detroit-ish), because the property values are so high they don't need the high mil-multiplier to generate the needed revenue.

So a rich mucky-muck in Westport will pay half the personal property tax on any given vehicle compared to a poor working man in Bridgeport. Yes, the Westport guy pays a giant real-estate tax compared to Bridgeport, but he's getting top-notch schools and NICE property for his $$. A vehicle is an inert piece of property that does nothing for the owner except move his ass from one place to another. It has the same NADA value no matter where in the state it is. It should be taxed the SAME regardless of who's ass it's moving around.
'85 Cal II Auto
'71 Ambo project
'02 GasGas EC300
'07 Norge
Wish'd I'd never sold:
'72 Red Eldo
'74 White Eldo LAPD
'77 Convert with DB bags
'06 Gas Gas EC300
'86 LM IV

Offline Two Checks

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2019, 10:52:33 AM »
The amount of personal prop tax you pay is based on the tax rate where you live.
Just like real estate tax.
Here in my county in MO they tax the air you breathe.
Tax on vehicles, travel trailers, and IIRC livestock. Mobile homes are taxed as personal property instead of real estate.
To license a vehicle you must show you have paid the prop tax on it.
1990 Cal III f/f  "Il Duce' III"
1987 1000 SPII "Il Duce' II"

Online jcctx

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2019, 12:13:09 PM »
All these taxes (property, registration, etc., etc.) give lie to the myth that we "own" our property~ it is only rented to us by the various governments by any rational assessment. Hope this is not judged political by the powers that be, if so, my apologies!!!

Offline philwarner

• Gosling
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2019, 01:36:25 PM »
Arkansas has Personal Property tax (including vehicles) and real Estate tax.  I have had to fight the assessor on both, especially when the vehicle assessed values more than doubled a few years ago. The County Assessor claimed it was the state, but eventually had to roll back the doubled values to the previous year because of the outrage.  I did finally get him to accept KBB and NADA values in lieu of the inflated values from the state office.

And uninsured motorists?  Try uninsured illegal aliens.  I had a fellow run a stop sign in front of me last November and slamming on my brakes did not quite stop me in time; I hit his left rear quarter panel but not hard enough to disable his car and he took off like a Bat out of you-know-where.  It caused a 4 car pileup behind me and totaled a nice 2013 Suburban full of kids.  I had a dash cam and gave the police a photo of the car and driver, the year and model of the car, and a video of his running the stop sign, but the officer said without a license plate number he couldn't find the car.  He said it was right at shift change at the chicken plant on the road he pulled out of so You can probably do the math.  I got a list of the owners and addresses of that year and model and color car from the assessor (yes we are still on speaking terms) but the officer still couldn't find the car or driver.  I've looked at a few of the addresses myself, but have not knocked on doors because I don't want to be shot, so I have to eat the $1500 damage to my wife's Honda Odyssey.
1996 California 1100 carb
in Northwest Arkansas

Offline Rick in WNY

• Gosling
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2019, 02:28:55 PM »
OK everyone, be quiet... All this talk of what gets taxed where is going to get us ALL more taxes if our elected representatives hear that there is a tax in some other state that they're missing out on...

As for NY, we may not have all the "taxes" on vehicles, but we do have some extra "fees."

Just helped my son register his first car last week. He paid $2200 for the car, 2008 Ford Focus with 118K on the clock. Not bad for a young man on his way to college.

First tax - 8% sales tax, so $176 please

Next "not a tax" - $128 to register it in the lovely state of New York. And this bill will come back... every two years.

Then "NYS Vehicle Inspection" - $28 to get a stupid window sticker that says the car isn't a complete POS... will need another every 12 months.

Add in the taxes we pay on gasoline (45.6 cents per gallon currently) and this is an expensive state to own a vehicle.

And if that isn't enough, NY also is the heart of the "salt belt/rust belt" where our tax dollars are used to put salt on the roads which destroys our vehicles... gotta love that! And then you ask why there are so many car/deer accidents in NY... it can't be because salt attracts deer, could it? I mean, our DEC has banned the use of salt blocks in hunting areas because they attract deer. We are allowed to use "natural mineral blocks," aka, lumps of salt as-dug out of the ground, but these need to be removed no less than 30 days before hunting season opens... Nah... deer know the difference between road salt and mineral blocks... sure they do...
Guzzi Owner since May 20, 2017
  2004 California Titanium

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2019, 03:36:09 PM »
AZ & CA base their license fees on the MSRP.  HI is on weight and set fees.  Either method, you'll end up paying. 
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Rough Edge racing

« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2019, 04:01:19 PM »

Just helped my son register his first car last week. He paid $2200 for the car, 2008 Ford Focus with 118K on the clock. Not bad for a young man on his way to college.

First tax - 8% sales tax, so $176 please

Next "not a tax" - $128 to register it in the lovely state of New York. And this bill will come back... every two years.

Then "NYS Vehicle Inspection" - $28 to get a stupid window sticker that says the car isn't a complete POS... will need another every 12 months.

It's about 60 bucks every two years for registration of a 3000 pound car, you got robbed by the state for the one time  "processing fee". I believe inpsection is still $21 ? for a 1996 and newer?  I notice my trailer registreation has doubled in the last few years..

Offline NC Steve

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2019, 05:07:10 PM »
A few years back I went to register a new to me '89 Mille GT. The lady at DMV couldn't find it in their computer, so she sent me 15 miles across town to see a DMV Inspector, the ones that carry guns, to make sure it was legit. He looked over the title, searched out all the VINs to make sure they weren't altered, counted the wheels, etc, then faxed something back across town and told me to return to the main office. When I got there to pay my fees and taxes, DMV had classified the Guzzi as vehicle type "other", with a value of $400. As I recall, the property tax was something like $12.
'16 Triumph T100
Past:
'19 RE Himalayan
'07 Honda ST1300
'00 Jackal,'89 Mille GT,'03 Cali Stone
4 Airheads, '88 K75,'99 BMW R1100R
___________________ ___________
Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Mark Twain

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2019, 05:17:07 PM »
My wife and I are retired and have 4 pensions between us (including SS).  We pay $0 to little state income tax on that.  By the time we add in some investment reported income, we pay about $500 total state income tax. 

I wish I paid more and young working for a living paid less. 

Yeah, I pay quite bit for car tags, 3 cars, a truck, 4 motorcycles and a travel trailer, then there is my house.  And I do pay plenty for insurance. 
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline Noguzznoglory

• Gosling
« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2019, 06:00:45 AM »

I wish I paid more and young working for a living paid less.

You can pay all you want. Just send it in. The IRS has a form for that.
93 750 Nighthawk
73 Honda CB350
73 Honda CL450
04 Breva 750
15 Norge
16 VERSYS 650

Offline Kent in Upstate NY

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2019, 09:34:30 PM »
UGH
I do too. Property taxes are high but I can renew my truck, cars, and bikes, for two years for what it cost to renew 1 car in California. It evens out.
Correctional educators don't make the criminals you fear. We make the criminals you fear smarter.

Offline larrys

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2019, 07:25:23 AM »
Try living in CT. Yes, we pay insane real-estate tax based on property values jacked up by the presence of Greenwich and the likes in Fairfield county. All vehicles are also subject to yearly Personal Property tax, determined by NADA value multiplied by the individual town's mil-rate.

How un-fair is that? The mil-rate in Westport (another Fairfield cty snooty town) is FAR lower than in  Bridgeport (old industrial town in New Haven cty, 20 mi from Westport, kind of Detroit-ish), because the property values are so high they don't need the high mil-multiplier to generate the needed revenue.

So a rich mucky-muck in Westport will pay half the personal property tax on any given vehicle compared to a poor working man in Bridgeport. Yes, the Westport guy pays a giant real-estate tax compared to Bridgeport, but he's getting top-notch schools and NICE property for his $$. A vehicle is an inert piece of property that does nothing for the owner except move his ass from one place to another. It has the same NADA value no matter where in the state it is. It should be taxed the SAME regardless of who's ass it's moving around.

At least there's no property tax on boats in CT. My boat collection is safe, for now...
Larry
'13 Monster 1100 EVO
'95 Cal 1100
'68 Bonneville

MGNOC 7248

Online Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2019, 07:51:56 AM »
Tell me about it .... said the guy from NJ!
My wife is from southern NJ, a little township called Millville. When she told me what the tax’s on a small house on a 1/4 acre lot was my first thought was “thieving sons of b|+<#€S” that’s more than I pay for a house, 60 by 100’ barn and 10 acres! No wonder there are so many folks move to the south after retirement. Come in down Kev and I’ll make a place for you on the farm:)

Offline brider

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2019, 02:15:13 PM »
At least there's no property tax on boats in CT. My boat collection is safe, for now...
Larry

How in the heck did boats get exempted for property tax? Somethin' ain't right in this state. I've lived in 6 different states including CT, and this one is the most frustrating.
'85 Cal II Auto
'71 Ambo project
'02 GasGas EC300
'07 Norge
Wish'd I'd never sold:
'72 Red Eldo
'74 White Eldo LAPD
'77 Convert with DB bags
'06 Gas Gas EC300
'86 LM IV

Offline Tusayan

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #25 on: August 18, 2019, 02:32:56 PM »
I’m now up to paying $1700 registration fees plus property taxes per year for my vehicles.  :rolleyes: It does encourage you to ride and drive older vehicles but one of recent tactics locally is to raise the floor (mostly in effect raising taxes on the poor) so that is less useful than before.

Offline Idontwantapickle

• Gaggle Hero
  • The rotation of the earth really makes my day.
« Reply #26 on: August 18, 2019, 03:03:49 PM »
Truly, the convoluted way most government organizations have adapted the tax code to the changes in property over the years leaves us with a some odd methods of determining what gets taxed and how.
But I ask you, if it weren't for the taxes where would you drive?

Hunter
There is no end to what we can do together.
Sir James Paul McCartney

AMA Charter Life Member

72 Eldo
85 LeMans 1000 Loud, Fast and Red
2007 Norge rivestimento di argento
84 BMW R100RS

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here