Author Topic: "This DARPA-Developed Brain Implant Can Help Recover Your Memories"  (Read 1169 times)

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
This is kind of cool.  It would help with a lot of injured people that have head trauma. 

https://www.popularmechanics.com/technology/a19709853/this-darpa-developed-brain-implant-can-help-recover-your-memories/?src=nl&mag=pop&list=nl_pnl_news&date=040918

"Can a neural implant help you recover your memory? A Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA) funded research pilot suggests that the answer may soon be yes.

In a small trial on 15 patients at Wake Forest Baptist Medical Center, "prosthetic memory" implant helped patients improve short-term memory by an average of 35 percent — a "substantial improvement" according to lead research Robert Hampson. "We were not surprised to find that this worked," Hampson said, "what surprised us was how successful it was."

The patients were part of a epilepsy treatment program, and already had electrodes implanted in their brains to map neural activity for seizure treatment and surgery. On their off time, researchers recruited the patients to play a simple memory game (identifying which of several images were shown on a previous screen) and mapped patients' neuron activity, especially in the hippocampus, the part of the brain responsible for memory creation.

When the researchers stimulated the patients' hippocampus in later trials using personalized "memory codes," the patients' short term memories improved. A two-minute test showed 37 percent improvement, and a hour-long memory test showed 35 percent improvement.

"Memory is at the heart of who a person actually is," Hampson said. "Without our memories, we lose our sense of self." The researchers' goal is to restore memory for patients who suffer from traumatic brain injuries, strokes, memory loss due to aging, Alzheimer's or other diseases, creating neural memory triggers in patients who don't already have electrodes implanted.

Journal of Neural Engineering (via L"
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Offline Guzzi Gal

• MOTO GUZZI~Because your heart is in the bike, and the bike is in your heart. ~Huzo~
  • Gaggle Hero
    • Sonoran Sunriders, YouTube
Re: "This DARPA-Developed Brain Implant Can Help Recover Your Memories"
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2018, 08:10:51 AM »
The time is coming when most will have some sort of implant to aid in their daily lives. 
:bow: Thanks for enabling my MG obsession! :bow:
"Anni" '17 Moto Guzzi V7 III Anniversario #220/1000,
"Velvet" '16 Honda CTX 700,
"Brigitte", AKA "Gigi" '13 Vespa GTS 300ie,
"Grey Wind" '12 Vespa GTS 300 Super,  
The twin '16 Honda Metropolitans
"Miri" and Mori"

Offline Zoom Zoom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2018, 08:57:53 AM »
The time is coming when most will have some sort of implant to aid in their daily lives.

That is amazing and scary at the same time. Sadly someone may attempt to take advantage or capitalize on it. Privacy is fading in this age.

John Henry

Online JJ

• Gaggle Hero
  • Life is meant to ENJOY...not "endure."
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2018, 10:01:30 AM »
That is amazing and scary at the same time. Sadly someone may attempt to take advantage or capitalize on it. Privacy is fading in this age.

John Henry

I don't know about the rest of you...but I am not having any "DARPA implants" anywhere in my body in the foreseeable future!! :shocked: :shocked: :shocked: :shocked: :shocked: :shocked:
Life Member: MGNOC L-772, AMA, HOG
'98 V10 Centauro GT
Village of Oak Creek, AZ

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2018, 10:01:30 AM »

Offline Guzzi Gal

• MOTO GUZZI~Because your heart is in the bike, and the bike is in your heart. ~Huzo~
  • Gaggle Hero
    • Sonoran Sunriders, YouTube
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2018, 11:07:04 AM »
I don't see any "useful" version of this happening within our lifetime.  However, for kids currently under the age of 20, augmentation might be considered by some a viable option.   
:bow: Thanks for enabling my MG obsession! :bow:
"Anni" '17 Moto Guzzi V7 III Anniversario #220/1000,
"Velvet" '16 Honda CTX 700,
"Brigitte", AKA "Gigi" '13 Vespa GTS 300ie,
"Grey Wind" '12 Vespa GTS 300 Super,  
The twin '16 Honda Metropolitans
"Miri" and Mori"

Offline Hal

• Gosling
  • San Jose, California 2003 Stone 2004 Coppa Italia
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2018, 03:02:40 PM »
There is a lot of research going into and several FDA approved uses for neural stimulation.
Will be a big industry.
 I wonder where the got the implant from.

Hal - http://www.neuropace.com
Hal

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2018, 03:10:57 PM »
I think for the original purpose in the case of epileptic seizures it would useful.  For other than that, I would be cautious about how the technology would be used.  A bunch of movie scenarios come to mind.  :shocked:
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Offline Muzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • On the backside of the planet.
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2018, 03:24:36 PM »
I had never heard of it, being stuck on the backside of the planet and all. Have just read up about it. Some of it looks really quite useful; some of it is downright scary.
Muzz. Cristchurch, New Zealand
03 Breva

Life is just a bowl of Allbran
Ya wake up in the morning and it's there

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2018, 03:57:03 PM »
I agree.  The scary stuff comes from someone having a bright idea and using it to make money from additional features.  :shocked:

Offline Muzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • On the backside of the planet.
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2018, 04:02:32 PM »
I agree.  The scary stuff comes from someone having a bright idea and using it to make money from additional features.  :shocked:

Sort of similar to Zuckerberg and Facebook? :grin:
Muzz. Cristchurch, New Zealand
03 Breva

Life is just a bowl of Allbran
Ya wake up in the morning and it's there

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2018, 04:27:35 PM »
 :grin: :grin:

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here