Author Topic: Visit USA  (Read 3650 times)

Offline adaven

• 2024 Board Donor
  • Hatchling
Re: Visit USA
« Reply #30 on: December 04, 2021, 06:15:34 PM »
Generalizations don't work. Any place you go, as a stranger on a strange motorcycle, you'll find interesting conversation. You'll have good and bad experiences, just like travelling anywhere. But they'll be your experiences and stories.
I like the idea of finding a long 2 lane road and noting how the landscape, architecture, industry, conversation, and accents change as you go.
If you can, touch base with the icons of our natural beauty, such as the Grand Canyon (go in if you can, all the way to the river if possible) or the coastal redwoods and giant sequoias. You kinda gotta see them to believe them.
Oh, and give a heads up here when you are on the move. I expect you'll get more invitations than you can handle.

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #31 on: December 04, 2021, 06:22:10 PM »
Oh, and give a heads up here when you are on the move. I expect you'll get more invitations than you can handle.

This..
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline Rich A

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #32 on: December 04, 2021, 06:30:27 PM »
Consider the four corners (NM, UT, CO, AZ). If you make it to Santa Fe, please feel free to get in touch.

Rich A

Online Bulldog9

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #33 on: December 04, 2021, 06:40:34 PM »
I'd suggest DC.  So much of Americas History is in DC and the surrounding areas.

DC is a big 'City' but is loaded with historic neighborhoods, great restaurants, history and culture. Just south is Alexandria, and  Mount Vernon, and 45 minutes out of DC there are amazing towns with plenty of character in Virginia, Maryland and Pennsylvania. Just an hour South puts you in Front Royal and the start of the Blue Ridge Parkway (North section is 100 miles and called Skyline Drive). Eastern Long Island NY, Maine, and most of New England are also amazing with towns going back to the 1700's and all well preserved.

If you end up in DC next Summer, give me a call. Happy to show you around, even borrow one of the Guzzi's for some riding.

As others have said, the US us huge and extremely diverse. It all depends what you want.
MGNOC#23231
The Living: 1976 Convert, 2004 Breva 750, 2007 GRiSO, 2008 1200 Sport, 2016 Stornello #742,
The Departed: 2017 MGX, 2014 Norge GT, 
In Stasis: 1978 XS750, XS1100SF

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: December 04, 2021, 06:40:34 PM »

Online Bulldog9

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #34 on: December 04, 2021, 06:45:38 PM »
I can give you another place to land in the SE U.S. and have had several visitors over the years.  PM me.
-Mike-  (driving SAABs since 1973  :grin:)

SAABs?  I love and miss my SAABS... I had an 82 SPG Turbo that I put 5ooK on, then an 86 Turbo I gave to my son, and my last was a 2000 Viggen that was less than stellar.

Sorry to Hijack....
MGNOC#23231
The Living: 1976 Convert, 2004 Breva 750, 2007 GRiSO, 2008 1200 Sport, 2016 Stornello #742,
The Departed: 2017 MGX, 2014 Norge GT, 
In Stasis: 1978 XS750, XS1100SF

Online Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #35 on: December 04, 2021, 07:22:57 PM »

Offline yogidozer

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #36 on: December 04, 2021, 10:37:44 PM »
You making fun of my kin?🤔
They're gonna put me in the movies
They're gonna make a big star out of me
We'll make a film about a man that's sad and lonely
And all I gotta do is act naturally
  :laugh:

Offline AJ Huff

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #37 on: December 04, 2021, 11:18:43 PM »
You making fun of my kin?🤔

You're from Rabun?

-AJ
'71 Ambassador
'01 California Special
'05 Road King
MGNOC# L-753

Offline aklawok

• Gosling
« Reply #38 on: December 05, 2021, 12:18:13 AM »
 Come on up to Nome Alaska fredrik! you will feel right at home on the tundra! look up our history of "the 3 lucky swedes" plenty of eskimos with pickup trucks lol! and I have the only Guzzi in town!
Iceland air has been doing some promotional(cheap) summer special direct over the pole flights to Anchorage for several years. dont know how ———is going to affect things but it has been something I have been looking at for some time! take a short cut!
« Last Edit: December 05, 2021, 08:41:37 AM by Ncdan »
its not the end of the world...but you can see it from here!
2007 california vintage

Offline ridingron

• Gosling
« Reply #39 on: December 05, 2021, 12:35:14 AM »
Yes, Miami is very Latino mostly Cuban. A lot of Cubans went to Miami and Tampa when Castro took over Cuba. Also a lot of Caribbean island folks in Miami.

Before you come to the States, realize how large the US is. Most States are similar in size to a European country. You can travel all day at 75 MPH and not make it across Texas maybe Tennessee and some other States.  Decide what is important to you to see. I would suggest selecting an area and talking to a couple of the guys from that area. Motorcycle riding roads and small towns? A large area north of Atlanta, Ga., eastern Tennessee & Kentucky, western N. Carolina, Virginia and W. Virginia has a vast sum of nice roads to ride and lots of small towns and historical sites to see. Most are less than 300 years old. Sorry, we got a late start.  :laugh: 

You can check with Wikipedia to get some information on towns or events.

https://www.wikipedia.org/

A link to Google maps below. Enter a town, then another to see a route, estimated travel time and how far apart they are.

https://www.google.com/maps/@44.5164322,-102.2174622,4z

Offline Fredrik

• Hatchling
« Reply #40 on: December 05, 2021, 06:11:15 AM »
Thanks for all great replys, i really look forward to make a road trip in US! And now i know i have good support from all you Guzzi guys, it means alot.  :azn:
Moto Guzzi V9 Bobber -2021
Moto Guzzi V7 Special -1971
Ural Retro 750 -2011
Ural Вояж 720 -1999
IZH Jupiter-3.01 -1980
IZH Planeta-5 -1993
Honda Black Widow 750 -2001
Aprilia Leonardo 125 -1999

Offline mtiberio

• Gaggle Hero
    • TiberioRacing
« Reply #41 on: December 05, 2021, 06:14:58 AM »
travel rt 66 oklahoma city to barstow
Land Speed Records w/Guzzzi:
SCTA M-PG 1000 141.6 MPH
LTA M-PF 1000 137.3 MPH
ECTA M-PG 1000 118.6 MPH
http://gjm.site90.com/mtiberio

Offline Texas Turnip

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #42 on: December 05, 2021, 08:05:57 AM »

Excellent choice and I've traveled all over the US for the last 63 years via motorcycle, semi, train, the dog (Greyhound) and car.
Tex

Offline SIR REAL ED

• Gaggle Hero
  • uh.... it's personal....
« Reply #43 on: December 05, 2021, 10:04:54 AM »
Thanks for all great replys, i really look forward to make a road trip in US! And now i know i have good support from all you Guzzi guys, it means alot.  :azn:

For many years I worked for Frammatome/AREVA.  All the Europeans (French, Germans, Czechs, etc.) who came over here had some opinions in common.  At first, they were critical of the US & Americans (mostly from a political perspective).  After a few months, most said they wished their home country were more like America.

Almost all have said "Americans are much more friendly than Europeans."  I have tons of stories about that.

If you are not put off by people being friendly and going out of their way to offer advice on where to go and what to see, you will enjoy your trip immensely.

I suspect you might be able to live here for a couple years just based on invitations offered......
"If reading shite on the internet will trigger your head exploding, please wrap your head in Gorilla tape before logging on.  Thanks!!!"

2019 Beta EVO 250
1999 Suzuki DR 650 w/790cc kit
1994, 2001, & 2002 MZ Skorpions
1992 YAMAHA TDM850

Offline Fredrik

• Hatchling
« Reply #44 on: December 05, 2021, 12:25:21 PM »
For many years I worked for Frammatome/AREVA.  All the Europeans (French, Germans, Czechs, etc.) who came over here had some opinions in common.  At first, they were critical of the US & Americans (mostly from a political perspective).  After a few months, most said they wished their home country were more like America.

Almost all have said "Americans are much more friendly than Europeans."  I have tons of stories about that.

If you are not put off by people being friendly and going out of their way to offer advice on where to go and what to see, you will enjoy your trip immensely.

I suspect you might be able to live here for a couple years just based on invitations offered......

In my experience are most ordinary people very nice no matter what country. If we judge people after their politicians would all be idiots. I have met the nicest people ever in Russia, Japan, EU and the americans i have met in my work. All have been nice, so i dont think it is what nation a person come from that make them nice or not. One thing is certain and that is that idiots can be found in all nations. Many people in EU and US have same DNA and i think we are very alike in the daily life.  :cheesy:
Ural Retro 750 -2011
Ural Вояж 720 -1999
IZH Jupiter-3.01 -1980
IZH Planeta-5 -1993

Offline SIR REAL ED

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #45 on: December 05, 2021, 02:29:57 PM »
In my experience are most ordinary people very nice no matter what country. If we judge people after their politicians would all be idiots. I have met the nicest people ever in Russia, Japan, EU and the americans i have met in my work. All have been nice, so i dont think it is what nation a person come from that make them nice or not. One thing is certain and that is that idiots can be found in all nations. Many people in EU and US have same DNA and i think we are very alike in the daily life.  :cheesy:

I agree completely.  All people are individuals.  National characteristics, in my mind are very nebulous concepts.  Stereotyping always tells one more about the observer rather than the observed.  I was simply conveying some oberserations of my former co-workers.

No doubt most were talking about local cultures and their personal experiences, both here and in their home country.
"If reading shite on the internet will trigger your head exploding, please wrap your head in Gorilla tape before logging on.  Thanks!!!"

2019 Beta EVO 250
1992 YAMAHA TDM850

Offline Scott of the Sahara

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #46 on: December 05, 2021, 03:00:05 PM »
If you want to SEE some great sights, I think southern Utah and Northern Arizona have the most amazing sights to see.
Southern Utah has 5 National Parks as well as some state parks and Northern Arizona has the Grand Canyon.
You could take a week and not see everything.
Find an area that interests you and spend some time in that place.
If you are on two wheels, avoid the cities and stay away from the Interstates (freeways)

Offline Fredrik

• Hatchling
« Reply #47 on: December 05, 2021, 03:00:41 PM »
I agree completely.  All people are individuals.  National characteristics, in my mind are very nebulous concepts.  Stereotyping always tells one more about the observer rather than the observed.  I was simply conveying some oberserations of my former co-workers.

No doubt most were talking about local cultures and their personal experiences, both here and in their home country.

It is pretty funny when i read jokes, memes etc. on Facebook that is from USA and think**** they have exactly the same **** as we do.  :grin:
« Last Edit: December 05, 2021, 04:29:39 PM by Ncdan »
Ural Retro 750 -2011
Ural Вояж 720 -1999
IZH Jupiter-3.01 -1980
IZH Planeta-5 -1993

Offline Gino

• Hatchling
« Reply #48 on: December 05, 2021, 04:27:11 PM »
I can thoroughly recommend the USA and Canada, my wife and I spent six months on the road there, cool things to see and nice people everywhere. We have been in 28 states including Alaska, not a bad experience to be had (although I did get some unwanted police attention but it was deserved  :laugh)

Offline Fredrik

• Hatchling
« Reply #49 on: December 05, 2021, 04:34:48 PM »
I can thoroughly recommend the USA and Canada, my wife and I spent six months on the road there, cool things to see and nice people everywhere. We have been in 28 states including Alaska, not a bad experience to be had (although I did get some unwanted police attention but it was deserved  :laugh)

I have seen many episodes of Cops and know the only way is to be honest and cooperate.  :grin:
Ural Retro 750 -2011
Ural Вояж 720 -1999
IZH Jupiter-3.01 -1980
IZH Planeta-5 -1993

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #50 on: December 05, 2021, 05:17:02 PM »
Since I live in the part of the USA that you're talking about, I would recommend that you see New York City. 

For sure, see the country, the Black Hills and Grand Canyon are gorgeous.  And most American cities will have some local music, food and entertainment.  There's always New Orleans and Nashville.  Or ride on Rt 66 (until you get bored), I'll treat you to some biscuits and gravy at a local dinner.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2021, 06:27:36 PM by LowRyter »
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline SIR REAL ED

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #51 on: December 05, 2021, 06:39:06 PM »
It is pretty funny when i read jokes, memes etc. on Facebook that is from USA and think**** they have exactly the same **** as we do.  :grin:

Amen,

IMO, any and all stimuli we humans encounter are truly Rorschach inkblots, and only the individual can form their personal perception.  In the words of Viktor Frankl "Between stimulus and response, man has the ability to choose."

Common cultures allow common meanings and interpretations.  But to try to guess what the next person you meet on the street will be like when they are still 50 feet away is almost always a loosing game.

Moving from Upstate New York to Virginia was a bit of a change.   Not as much as those who believe in the big difference between North US vs. South US would think.  That difference is mostly a myth in my personal experience.

I think population density affects culture more than many other things.  Slower pace of life, saying "Hello" to strangers, looking strangers in the eye, holding the door for someone 8 paces behind you, are things you are more likely to encounter in small towns, not big cities.

"All the people you meet will be a reflection of yourself." is timeless wisdom.  Those who look for the bad in humanity will never disappoint themselves by running short of supply.   :wink:

In my personal experience, the stranger who will look you in the eye is almost always worth talking to!

Based on your typing, your English is excellent.  Be prepared to get asked for your favorite Swedish Meatballs recipe!!!

So what is the Swedish Chef on the muppets singing anyway?   :laugh:

2019 Beta EVO 250
1992 YAMAHA TDM850

Offline cliffrod

• Gaggle Hero
  • AC Button II
    • Carolina Sculpture Studio
« Reply #52 on: December 05, 2021, 07:05:43 PM »
I hope you have a wonderful trip, Fredrik, including the autonomy to travel without feeling obligated to see everyone here who is responding.   It's not fun to have to hide from old or new friends when you visit an area.

With that said, I do believe that the WG community will be glad to provide you a safety net while traveling so you can have extra peace of mind to enjoy your travels.  Many here would be glad to spend a few minutes of good times with you.   But if you're in need while traveling and any of us are nearby & can provide some resource or assistance, I think that would make the same people much more happy to be part of your American experience.   

Don't be shy if we can help you have a better trip to the USA.
1973 V7 Sport  "Now THAT'S a motorcycle!"-  Master Sculptor Giuliano Cecchinelli
1967 V700 Corsa Record
1981 Lemans CX100
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExX3YmQel_Q
http://carolinasculpturestudio.com/
Carolina Sculpture Studio YuoTube Channel-
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzSYaYdis55gE-vqifz

Offline MMRanch

• MMRanch
  • Gaggle Mentor
  • Evil wins if Good Men do Nothing
« Reply #53 on: December 05, 2021, 08:44:11 PM »
Fredrik

One days ride west of the "Tail of the Dragon" is Lynchburg Tn. Home of Jack Daniels.

If ya pass this way I'll gladly buy ya lunch and offer a spare room for the night.  :grin:

I enjoyed the part of the Route 66 I saw last year. 
................... ...............
Some of these sights on this post has me fired up to go see more of this country too !   

So , Guzzi Gal where is this one from ? 

2016 V7-II Stone
2022 Royal Enfield Meteor Stellar Blue

Offline Tkelly

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #54 on: December 06, 2021, 08:52:06 AM »
Check the Mgnoc site got rally dates and places,a lot of us plan trips between multiple rallies as they take place from April thru November in different locations.

Offline Dilliw

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #55 on: December 06, 2021, 09:34:12 AM »
Another suggestion...  Try some of the budget airlines to cover a bit more ground.  I regularly use Allegiant to fly from Austin TX to Asheville, NC where my Griso is located.
From Austin you can also get to Bozeman, MT and back.  All flights are direct and cheap ($50-$100 USD one way based on luggage).   Frontier is another one.  Both have limited schedules but if time isn't an issue you can work that out.  You certainly would be welcome to stay with us if you need a few days in Texas (sorry we are not in a small town, however).

George Westbury
Austin, TX
2003 EVT "The Tank"
2011 Griso SE

L-824 and L-825

Offline Fredrik

• Hatchling
« Reply #56 on: December 06, 2021, 10:33:58 AM »
Another suggestion...  Try some of the budget airlines to cover a bit more ground.  I regularly use Allegiant to fly from Austin TX to Asheville, NC where my Griso is located.
From Austin you can also get to Bozeman, MT and back.  All flights are direct and cheap ($50-$100 USD one way based on luggage).   Frontier is another one.  Both have limited schedules but if time isn't an issue you can work that out.  You certainly would be welcome to stay with us if you need a few days in Texas (sorry we are not in a small town, however).

Thank you so much, i appreciate.  :cheesy:
Ural Retro 750 -2011
Ural Вояж 720 -1999
IZH Jupiter-3.01 -1980
IZH Planeta-5 -1993

Offline jrt

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #57 on: December 06, 2021, 02:03:19 PM »

Start a little earlier (east-er-er) and come through St. Louis.  Good Jazz and Blues scene, good food, good roads and we are 'the Gateway to the West'. 
L-720
1973 Eldorado
2003 Yardbird (1100 hydro)
2020 R1250RS

Offline jumpmaster

• Gosling
« Reply #58 on: December 06, 2021, 02:46:42 PM »
As somewhat of an alternative approach to all the good suggestions you've already received... Get ahold of a road atlas that covers the 50 states--- actually what you want is the in the first few pages which is a single overview of the 48 contiguous states "the lower 48" as they say in Alaska) and the major/relatively major roads that run through all 48. Pick a road that looks interesting to you and plan your trip around that. For example, I-90 (for Interstate-90, the interstates are the biggest roads/freeways) runs east-west across the entire US, from Boston to Seattle. There is lots to see along any portion of that "route." I-80 does the same (runs east/west) but just a bit further south. On a lark, I once flew into to Dallas, picked up an old Toyota Tercel 4WD wagon I had bought for $600 sight unseen off Craigslist and drove it back to Rhode Island going across parts of middle-America that I had only visited as a child--Arkansas, Tennessee, ... Personally, given what little you have hinted at, I would fly into Minneapolis, rent a car or a bike and head west on the old US 2 highway. 2 runs east/west across the entire US just a bit south of the Canadian border but unlike the Interstates, you go right through the center of most of the small towns you intercept along the way (thus it is slower than sticking to the interstates). But 2 will take you through beautiful country in Minnesota, North Dakota, and into Montana where you can find real cowboys and Glacier National Park and Yellowstone and then on into Idaho and finally Washington state (time your trip to go to the Ellensburg Rodeo...). So 2 is just a suggestion, but following a road is the main idea. Maybe get a copy of the book "Blue Highways" and read that for some ideas (the book is a bit dated now but should still be relevant in terms of giving you some ideas). Let us know your plans when the trip is actually a reality!

What a great suggestion!  I would add US 50 and/or US 40 as alternates - similar east-west general direction but though the central parts of the country.  Maybe detour around the really major cities it passes through (i.e. Indianapolis, St. Louis, Kansas City, etc.) unless there are some "touristy" things there that you really want to see - all these places do have sights worth seeing/visiting, but the additional time dealing with urban traffic, etc. may not fit into your schedule &, honestly, American major cities are really pretty generic and for the most part reflect only one part of the American experience.  The downside of this approach is that there can be looonnng stretches, especially in the central US, that you can't avoid and taking the US routes rather than the I- routes can take a lot longer to cross the less interesting parts of the trip.  On the other hand, the "wide open spaces" are part of the American cultural background and psyche & the US routes go through rather than around lots of smaller cities, towns and villages, with a wealth of interesting/friendly people and good, more traditional American food.

An additional suggestion:  once you have a basic route decided, sign up for or just check TourofHonor.com, which lists 7 specific military &/or first responder monuments for just about each state in the USA.  Many, if not most, of these monument sites are in small towns & you can pick some of them that are not too far off your basic route in order to almost guarantee that you will find some less busy roads and "American Heartland" towns along the way.  Strike up conversations with locals in these towns - at the gas station, local restaurant, etc. (even the local police station or post office, if they're not busy) and you will be surprised and pleased at the information they will be glad to give you about the area & other notable features of the town & area.  My wife & I have been participating in this tour for probably 10 years now & we never fail to be surprised at how we find really nice monuments in small towns that you would think couldn't afford to build something so nice - and they are flattered if you show some interest in these local projects.  Well worth at least a few detours off your main route.  We visited about 15 of them on a California-to-Maryland trip and didn't regret taking a detour for any of them.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2021, 02:35:58 PM by jumpmaster »
JC
90 Mille GT (sold), 73 Eldorado, 75 Norton Commando, 46 Whizzer, 13 Harley Road Glide

Offline Steve Scott

• Gaggle Hero
  • Ride, Fettle, Repeat
« Reply #59 on: December 08, 2021, 12:00:18 PM »
Fredrik,
 I'm jealous... heck, I live here and I'd like to take your trip!
'79 Morini 500S
'00 'Guzzi Jackal
'67 Teisco ET-440
Spring Grove, PA USA

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here