Author Topic: I'm a baaaaad boy. ***pics added***  (Read 5036 times)

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
Re: I'm a baaaaad boy.
« Reply #30 on: December 23, 2018, 08:42:10 AM »
Kudos to you (and several here) for getting a low ball price on the bike from that dealer.  Let's hope it was prepped correctly and you can do ALL your own work.  If you think their mechanics will know squat after eventually making it to the 1 week "Guzzi School", you're  mistaken.

You forget I purposely paid more to FBF, TWICE, they still screwed up, they still went out of business.
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Online blackcat

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #31 on: December 23, 2018, 08:47:17 AM »
I've enjoyed this thread and everyone's perception on buying cars and motorcycles. I've worked at both car and bike dealers. I learned very quickly that there are costs in running those businesses. Car dealers want to move units because there are manufacturer's rebates based on volume. That is why the best time to buy a car is at the end of the month, end of the quarter or at the end of the year. Motorcycle dealers don't have that luxury. There is no real money to be made on selling new bikes, prep fees, freight, shipping, etc. Motorcycle dealers would rather sell used bikes as there is more money in it. All dealers make money on service, parts and accessories. They need to keep their customers in house to make money. The only other way to make money is on back end products (extended warranties, service contracts, wheel protection, etc). Back end products are very negotiable and both the dealer and the salesperson make money that way. I have no problem supporting a dealer as long as he is fair with his pricing because I want to see that dealer stay in business. Just my two cents.

I have purchased two new cars at the end of the year by choice, as the week between Xmas and New Years the dealer's are dead and are more than happy to negotiate what I thought was a descent price.
1968 Norton Fastback
1976 Lemans
1981 CX-100
1993 1000S
1997 Daytona RS
2007 Red Norge

Offline ohiorider

• Gaggle Hero
  • "You can't fight in here - this is the War Room."
« Reply #32 on: December 23, 2018, 08:49:24 AM »
I've had several pain free motorcycle sales transactions.  Perhaps the least painful was purchasing the leftover (new) 2014 CB1100 from RG Cycles in Bridgeport WV.  It was advertised at $6999.00.  I talked with the sale dept (Brad) on the phone.  He informed me their dealership does add freight and doc fees to the sales price. 

"Send me an invoice outlining these extras."

It wasn't outrageous, so I went with it

$6999.00 + Freight and Doc Fees for a total of $7198.00.  4 cylinder, 85+ hp ... lotta bike for not a lot of $$.  With suspension sorted to my weight and personal liking.  She'll get some real miles added to the current 6,000.

« Last Edit: December 23, 2018, 08:51:17 AM by ohiorider »
Main ride:  2008 Guzzi 1200 Sport (sold July 2020)
2012 Griso 8v SE (sold Sept '15)
Reliable standby: 1991 BMW R100GS
2014 Honda CB1100 (Traded Nov 2019)
New:  2016 Triumph T120 (Traded Dec 2021)
New:  2021 Kawasaki W800

Offline tasdisr

• Hatchling
« Reply #33 on: December 23, 2018, 09:41:40 AM »
The dealer I purchased from charged no prep fee, $50.00 for documents and I think it was around $14.00 for 30 day tags. The only other charge was the freight and of course taxes.
2017 V9 Roamer

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: December 23, 2018, 09:41:40 AM »

Offline Cam3512

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #34 on: December 23, 2018, 09:53:20 AM »
You forget I purposely paid more to FBF, TWICE, they still screwed up, they still went out of business.

I remember.  It’s not like we have a lot of good choices out there.
Cam in NJ
'67 Stornello Scrambler
'71 Ambo Police
'74 V7 Sport
‘20 V85TT

http://mgnocnj.forumotion.com

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #35 on: December 23, 2018, 11:49:13 AM »
I have purchased two new cars at the end of the year by choice, as the week between Xmas and New Years the dealer's are dead and are more than happy to negotiate what I thought was a descent price.

We bought our last new car between Christmas and New Years; apparently there's a tax benefit to them to not have the car on their lot come January 1st, and they'll knock off some off the price to make it happen ....

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline lucian

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #36 on: December 23, 2018, 12:39:12 PM »
Congrats on a very cool bike. My neighbor has a Thruxton and it sure sounds sweet with the 270 crank. Nice choice.

Online Turin

• Gaggle Hero
    • crap and stuff
« Reply #37 on: December 23, 2018, 01:30:05 PM »
I would have gone with the Thruxton too.  :thumb:
1997 Daytona RS
1991 Rennsport California III
1991 LeMans 1000
1987 LeMans SE Dave's Cycle Racer
1984 LeMans III
1985 Sidlow Guzzi
1974 850-T Sport
1969 A-series Ambassador
1996 Triumph Daytona 1200
1996 Triumph Daytona 900
1982 Alfa Romeo GTV6 Balocco SE 3.0

Offline Bud

• Gosling
« Reply #38 on: December 23, 2018, 06:51:42 PM »
     My point with the $595.00 destination charge on the Himalayan was aimed at Royal Enfield not the dealer. The bikes are advertised nationally for $4500.00 in magazines and everywhere. As a dealer you have no choice but to advertise it at that price because as Kev said if they put the actual cost of $5095.00 no one would even come through the door. I googled "Himalayan destination charge" today and found a dealer in NJ that had the $595 charge listed as an add on and also $595 for another Royal Enfield product. 
     I'm all in favor of a business making money. As Lannis said no other business operates this way. I'm an electrical contractor and if I advertised a service for $4500.00 and showed up and told you I was going to charge you $595.00 for me getting to your house anyone would have a shit fit and probably report me to the better business bureau.
     Motorcycle dealers are basically forced to play this game because for some reason our country allows this to happen in their industry. I think it's false advertising if it is a set charge then it is part of the price and should be advertised as such.

Offline kingoffleece

• SplitWeight(tm) seat covers
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Rated 5 STARS Motorcycle Consumer News
« Reply #39 on: December 23, 2018, 10:14:55 PM »
When I contract the heavy equipment folks for sight work there's always a destination charge.
It's 195 for the HVAC truck to show up.  The sign contractor is an extra 195 for the bucket truck.

How do you recoup your costs?
SplitWeight(tm) seat covers. A King of Fleece LLC product.

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #40 on: December 23, 2018, 10:35:48 PM »
When I contract the heavy equipment folks for sight work there's always a destination charge.
It's 195 for the HVAC truck to show up.  The sign contractor is an extra 195 for the bucket truck.

How do you recoup your costs?

Hauling a piece of heavy equipment to a job site is hardly the same thing as selling a car out of a showroom, though.   

To continue your example, if you contract for an extra $195 for the bucket truck to come to the site, you don't expect to get a bill for $195 plus another $40 for diesel and $50 dollars for the state inspection the truck just had .... That's how it appears to most of us that vehicle prices are made up.    You can't say "Well, if I priced it at $285 for the bucket truck, you wouldn't have let me have the job, so I had to advertise $195 and bill you for $285".    You price it all up front.

Lannis
« Last Edit: December 23, 2018, 10:36:52 PM by Lannis »

Offline NC Steve

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #41 on: December 24, 2018, 12:05:57 AM »
     My point with the $595.00 destination charge on the Himalayan was aimed at Royal Enfield not the dealer. The bikes are advertised nationally for $4500.00 in magazines and everywhere. As a dealer you have no choice but to advertise it at that price because as Kev said if they put the actual cost of $5095.00 no one would even come through the door. I googled "Himalayan destination charge" today and found a dealer in NJ that had the $595 charge listed as an add on and also $595 for another Royal Enfield product. 
     I'm all in favor of a business making money. As Lannis said no other business operates this way. I'm an electrical contractor and if I advertised a service for $4500.00 and showed up and told you I was going to charge you $595.00 for me getting to your house anyone would have a shit fit and probably report me to the better business bureau.
     Motorcycle dealers are basically forced to play this game because for some reason our country allows this to happen in their industry. I think it's false advertising if it is a set charge then it is part of the price and should be advertised as such.

I'm about to buy a new Himalayan here, and with the MSRP at $4500, the dealer offered all tax, shipping, doc fees, dealer set up, DMV fees and tags for $5300 OTD, and that was their first price before we began to negotiate. All that's left is for me to call my agent and insure the bike. They're a very solid dealer, and also carry Triumph, Aprilia, Vespa, and the Zero electric cycles. That seems very fair to me, I get a good deal, they make a buck, everyone's happy, and they stay in business.
'16 Triumph T100
Past:
'19 RE Himalayan
'07 Honda ST1300
'00 Jackal,'89 Mille GT,'03 Cali Stone
4 Airheads, '88 K75,'99 BMW R1100R
___________________ ___________
Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Mark Twain

Offline kingoffleece

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #42 on: December 24, 2018, 03:56:19 AM »
I'm not sure that's what I meant-having a conversation by typing something gets a bit lost.  We need a bar stool and a good scotch!
Stated another way, I'm always happy when I know what each component of any deal is.  I get a bit leery when it's "all in one price" as it often seems that that is a good way to hide something.  If I know what everything costs I have the option of taking it, discussing it, or not accepting the offer.

Offline leafman60

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #43 on: December 24, 2018, 06:37:08 AM »
I agree with most of what everybody is saying regarding vehicle pricing practices.

I know about it and I factor all of it into what I will pay for a new vehicle (2-wheel or 4-wheel) so it's not a big problem for me.

Car dealers tell me that they could not stay in business with customers like me.  They rely on the apparently plentiful supply of uninformed people who will walk in and pay sticker price for a car.  Some of those friends tell me that women are particularly prone to come in,
pick a car and think they must pay the sticker price. A few of those guys say they sometimes knock off the $600 dealer add-on charge for paint protection to make the lady feel like she is getting a special deal.

When I scold them, again, they say "Hey, it's those kinda customers that allow us to make this deal for you so shut up!"

Motorcycle dealers have a tough time making any big money off of bike sales.  I know several motorcycle dealers of all brands and, except for the Harley dealers, there is not a big margin on bike sales.  Most of the ones who can stay in business do so thanks to service work and accessory sales.

I've seen dealer cost data for parts and accessories and, frequently, their cost is half of retail.  A $20 part cost them $10. 

Anyway, that's business and I wouldn't want to be a motorcycle dealer (except for H-D in some markets).

« Last Edit: December 24, 2018, 06:41:06 AM by leafman60 »

elvisboy77

« Reply #44 on: December 24, 2018, 07:01:47 AM »

Guzzi dealer bashing on a guzzi site?  I thought that was against the rules.  In any case, pretty boorish.

Offline kingoffleece

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #45 on: December 24, 2018, 07:05:48 AM »
We made 900.00 GROSS on a new Bonneville when they were 7699.00.  Gross.  Net profit to the dealer after all was said and done was pitiful.
Gross profit, not net.  I'd wager zero percent of the guys here who own their own business and face the challenges every day of ownership would accept a profit margin like that.

But, this is not that discussion really.

Offline Darren Williams

• Finally got me a Griso!
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Life is too short to go slow!
« Reply #46 on: December 24, 2018, 09:21:05 AM »
When negotiating to buy a car or bike or boat or whatever, I always start with the out the door price, even asking how much I have to give them so they don't call the police when I drive off. Salesman says that is up to the finance guy so I ask to speak to him. I have walked away to the competition if they won't talk out the door price with me.
The best part of riding a motorcycle is to tilt the horizon and to lift the front coming out of a corner and to drift the back end powering thru loose dirt and to catch a little air topping a hill and... yeah it's all good!

Offline jbell

• Gaggle Mentor
  • Some progress
« Reply #47 on: December 24, 2018, 10:15:36 AM »
Guzzi dealer bashing on a guzzi site?  I thought that was against the rules.  In any case, pretty boorish.

My apologies if that is how it came out.  90% of my original intent for the post was, "Hey look at me, I just bought a Thuxton R." The rest of the story was my disappointment in the difference between the dealer advertised sale price and the real "sales" price.  I wanted a new V7III, wanted to support my local dealership and felt kinda let down.  I'd still go back there to buy a bike but now with the understanding of their pricing/advertising structure.  In retrospect, the advertising worked to an extent, it got me off my butt and down to the dealership, but...............  As regards the difference between the V7 and a Thruxton; with one exception early in my riding career ( a rat Triumph 650 with straight pipes and snuff-or-nots), I've always bought sensible bikes and was about to do so again with the V7.  Don't know how much longer I'll be able to ride but I saw that Thruxton and it triggered my Dayton Allen reflex, what the hell," Why Not!"
'75 Ducati 860 GT  On the road
'76 Guzzi T3   Future project
'78 Guzzi G5  Current project
'81 Guzzi G5  Organ donor
'92 BMW K75RT  On the road
'16 Triumph Thruxton R  "Holy Moly"  Gone but not forgotten, sigh.

"Be yourself, everyone else is taken".......Oscar Wilde

Offline Motormike

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #48 on: December 24, 2018, 04:02:55 PM »
As far as the dealership thing goes, most (of us, anyway) know there's not much margin in new cars or bikes.  My brother sold cars for years, always said the salesmen on the used side of the lot made more money because the mark-up was higher on a used car.  Then there's Tesla, I understand they have no dealerships at all in states that will allow direct selling (and the competition's lobbyest putting a stop to it in many states).  I jokingly call Teslas "California Golf Carts!"  But I see more and more of them on the road.  Will Tesla survive?  Who knows, but with technology today, there's no real reason you can't go online and order a vehicle, color, options, etc. factory direct.  Getting it serviced...well, that's another matter.

Tennmoto

« Reply #49 on: December 24, 2018, 06:24:57 PM »
I was at Southern Honda two days ago. They're one of the largest Honda dealers by volume in the country. They're rarely undersold on price and yes, they have a no surprises pricing policy. People buy from them from many parts of the US. I had some time to kill before my car was ready to be picked up a few miles away.

Plus about all I use to clean my bike is the Honda or the Original brand spray polish. They did have a drop dead gorgeous black and white late model Victory Hammer in the used bike section. It only has 2200 miles on it as well. I had to force myself to leave before I wouldn't be able to stop myself from talking to a sales rep. 

Destination charges? Yea, it's a silly practice. That's why I always ask the OTD price and negotiate from that point. Knowing that some items that make up the OTD price are fixed like the sales tax rate. But as has been stated, very few other products you purchase anywhere have a destination charge added to them. For good reason, because it's a silly practice and people get upset by it. 

Merry Christmas everyone.

I saw that Hammer on the website, nice! And it’s to close

Offline jbell

• Gaggle Mentor
  • Some progress
Re: I'm a baaaaad boy. ***pics***
« Reply #50 on: December 27, 2018, 01:01:38 PM »
Just picked it up this morning.  Yesterday was a rainout.  Fantastic bike, a bit different then my fully faired Beemer.  May have to get a new (better fitting) helmet as the wind pushed on it uncomfortably.  It does have the tail tidy kit on it.  Insurance quite reasonable.  Big smile on my face!

« Last Edit: December 27, 2018, 01:04:06 PM by jbell »

Offline JACoH

• Gosling
Re: I'm a baaaaad boy. ***pics added***
« Reply #51 on: December 27, 2018, 05:17:17 PM »
OMG, that is one beautiful bike! Surprised that license plate location is legal, tho.

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #52 on: December 27, 2018, 06:14:12 PM »
OMG, that is one beautiful bike! Surprised that license plate location is legal, tho.

Might not be, but very unlikely to be noticed, measured, and cited.    Look at all the bikes with the plate mounted short side up down on the axle ....

Lannis

Offline lucian

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #53 on: December 27, 2018, 06:31:43 PM »
Very nice.   :thumb:

Offline Shorty

• Gaggle Hero
  • "I'd rather lube a chain than crab a frame."
« Reply #54 on: December 27, 2018, 07:42:23 PM »
 :bow:
2017 Suzuki DR650
2021 Royal Enfield Meteor 350

Offline kingoffleece

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #55 on: December 28, 2018, 06:42:31 AM »
Simply splendid with the factory fairing.

Online blackcat

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #56 on: December 28, 2018, 10:32:54 AM »
"...a bit different then my fully faired Beemer."

I bet.

Very pretty bike, the only new Triumph I'd be interested in owning, especially in red with that fairing. Good luck with the bike.
1968 Norton Fastback
1976 Lemans
1981 CX-100
1993 1000S
1997 Daytona RS
2007 Red Norge

Offline jbell

• Gaggle Mentor
  • Some progress
« Reply #57 on: December 28, 2018, 11:59:40 AM »

Didn't you read the header??  I'm bad, livin' on the edge, we don't need no stinkin' regulations.  Have already bought a "take-off" rear fender and lights from Ebay, $100.  :azn:

Offline kingoffleece

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #58 on: December 28, 2018, 08:02:38 PM »
Hauling a piece of heavy equipment to a job site is hardly the same thing as selling a car out of a showroom, though.   

To continue your example, if you contract for an extra $195 for the bucket truck to come to the site, you don't expect to get a bill for $195 plus another $40 for diesel and $50 dollars for the state inspection the truck just had .... That's how it appears to most of us that vehicle prices are made up.    You can't say "Well, if I priced it at $285 for the bucket truck, you wouldn't have let me have the job, so I had to advertise $195 and bill you for $285".    You price it all up front.

Lannis

I'd expect a portion of ALL of those charges are in my bill.  And yes, sometimes there IS a fuel surcharge for mileage over a standard distance.  Like I said, I get that some want a "out the door" price.  Some don't.  I don't.  And I wouldn't spin on my heal, at least not right away, if the sticker was something different than the total price.  Now, that's not to say it's ok to add thousands, but I wouldn't get huffed if freight and such was added.  It WOULD be the start of a conversation.  If that was not pleasent-well, move along.  I see both sides.

Online Turin

• Gaggle Hero
    • crap and stuff
« Reply #59 on: December 28, 2018, 09:09:22 PM »
She looks like serious business... what are your impressions so far?
1997 Daytona RS
1991 Rennsport California III
1991 LeMans 1000
1987 LeMans SE Dave's Cycle Racer
1984 LeMans III
1985 Sidlow Guzzi
1974 850-T Sport
1969 A-series Ambassador
1996 Triumph Daytona 1200
1996 Triumph Daytona 900
1982 Alfa Romeo GTV6 Balocco SE 3.0

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here