Author Topic: V7 oil leak saga - contunued  (Read 1041 times)

Offline Phil Tunbridge

• New Egg
V7 oil leak saga - contunued
« on: January 02, 2019, 11:58:41 AM »
Some of you out there may recall me posting in 2017 about an oil leak on my brand new V7.
At first we thought that it was a simple over-filling due to the contradictory information in the V7 shop manual, but the leak persisted.
After many visits to the dealer, the oil was found to be coming from the thread of the top cylinder stud where it goes into the crankcase.  As this is a blind hole, there was obviously porosity in the crankcase casting, and as the oil was coming out of a threaded hole with a stud fastened into it, the oil was obviously under quite a bit of pressure, probably from an oil feed passageway, maybe to the camshaft, which is quite close.
After many phone calls and e-mails to Piaggio pleading the case that the only sure fix was a new engine, Piaggio in fact revealed that crankcase porosity in this area is an inherent problem, and presumably the fact that they couldn't guarantee that a new engine wouldn't have the same problem is the reason that they will not agree to a new engine and want the dealer to re-build the existing engine with an approved Loctite sealant.
At best, this is a Band-Aid fix, not a permanent solution, and, although Piaggio did indicate they would consider a Warranty extension, there will always be the threat that somewhere, maybe many miles from home, it will start leaking again.
I now know of several instances of casting porosity in small-block bikes.  I may be wrong, but I don't believe the problem extends to big-block machines.  The new V85 is based on the small block and I know that Piaggio's treatment of my case has cost them at least one sale (not to me). 
In this day and age, is it too much to ask that manufacturers take ownership of known problems and fix them in a manner that will satisfy current owners and possible future purchasers?

Offline timonbik

• Gosling
Re: V7 oil leak saga - contunued
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2019, 12:38:26 PM »
Unbelievable Phil.   Putting goop on it will only delay the problem, not fix it.  Probably long enough to get past their extended warranty. Talk about putting the proverbial finger in the hole in the dike.  I was also going to consider the new V85 as a replacement for my Breva. but if that is how Piaggio continues to stand by its product I think I will save a few thousand and look at the Kawasaki W800 or the RE Interceptor.  Hoping that between you, the dealer and Piaggio  that you can come up with a more satisfactory resolution.

Take care,
Tim
2008 BREVA 750
2020 V85TT ADV rosso
2016 APRILIA SHIVER 750
2013 VICTORY JUDGE CUSTOM
2013 VICTORY XR CLASSIC
2006 VICTORY V92TC
2006 DUCATI MULTISTRADA 620 (IN DUCATI HEAVEN)

Offline usedtobefast

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2019, 12:51:26 PM »
And this is a v7 iii ?

Are you in the US?  If so, you might want to check out the lemon laws in your state.  I don't know the full scoop on it, but it is something like some number of times you take it in for the same problem, but I think there is also the "how long it is in a repair shop" part of it.

You tried being nice, get a lawyer, do the lemon law, get your money back (or a new bike). 

If your bike was at the 23 months of a 24 month warranty, and you had a bunch of miles on it, and it worked great until that point ... then maybe I could see Piaggio's point of pull apart and fix it.  But sounds like you bought a brand new bike and this happened pretty soon/early ... doesn't seem like you should suffer from their lack of quality control.

Good luck!
2017 V7 iii Racer
2017 Griso
2016 Stornello
2000 Red Quota
Want a black/green 1000S big valve :)

Offline Toecutter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2019, 01:00:00 PM »
And this is a v7 iii ?

Are you in the US?  If so, you might want to check out the lemon laws in your state.  I don't know the full scoop on it, but it is something like some number of times you take it in for the same problem, but I think there is also the "how long it is in a repair shop" part of it.

You tried being nice, get a lawyer, do the lemon law, get your money back (or a new bike). 

If your bike was at the 23 months of a 24 month warranty, and you had a bunch of miles on it, and it worked great until that point ... then maybe I could see Piaggio's point of pull apart and fix it.  But sounds like you bought a brand new bike and this happened pretty soon/early ... doesn't seem like you should suffer from their lack of quality control.

Good luck!
I had to work pretty hard to get Piaggio to replace the Bevel box on my V7 Special... they wanted to keep replacing seals. They finally relented on the third visit for the same issue. In 2 years of warranty coverage, my bike was in the shop for over 6 months,.
Old enough to say I've done it, young enough to do it again.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2019, 01:00:00 PM »

Offline Peter949

• PeterCaliII
  • Hatchling
  • 84 Cali II
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2019, 03:32:07 PM »
Hi Phil,

Thanks for pointing out your continuing problem with your new V7 III. Maybe it is time to take your Quota out of retirement for 2019? 
Peter
Peter

1984  Cali II
Aprilia 125 Sportcity Scooter

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here