Author Topic: 2018 V7 Milano - Tach Reads 1,000 RPM with Engine Off  (Read 475 times)

Offline Juan1

• New Egg
2018 V7 Milano - Tach Reads 1,000 RPM with Engine Off
« on: September 29, 2022, 02:58:46 PM »
Today I noticed the tach on the new-to-me 2018 Milano is reading high.  When turned off, the tachometer shows 750 RPM.  When the bike is turned on but not started, it reads 1,000 RPM.  The bike displays a 2,200 RPM idle when started, and that 1,000 RPM too high display continues to redline.  Everything is fine otherwise.  The bike idles nicely, and starts normally.  Anyone have this issue before, and is there a solution?
« Last Edit: September 29, 2022, 03:00:39 PM by Juan1 »

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
Re: 2018 V7 Milano - Tach Reads 1,000 RPM with Engine Off
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2022, 08:53:20 PM »
You could try disconnect battery & reboot.
"Pray through Carlo & your bike shall be healed"

Offline Juan1

• New Egg
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2022, 11:30:43 PM »
Tried the reboot option.  Didn't help.  When I start the bike up and the bike does its tach sweep, it stops about 1k rpms above the numbers too.

The issue has been mentioned in a Youtube review of the bike, and on another Guzzi forum.  Both talked about replacing the tach, but no one mentioned if that fixed the issue.

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2022, 05:43:35 AM »
If there are no other symptoms I would just live with it.

Is there a shift light on the specials like there is on the the stones?  If so, set the shift light to a specific rpm and see if the light starts flashing while the tach shows 1000 higher. That would tell you that it is in the tach.

If it has a physical pointer maybe you can split it open and move the pointer to zero.
2022 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2018 V7 III Carbon Dark #0009 of 1921
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200
2009 Harley Davidson Softail Custom

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2022, 05:43:35 AM »

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2022, 09:39:01 AM »
If you have the cash, I'd replace it. Check bike w/software for issues if you haven't done that.
No issues then it's dash only, swap it out.
"Pray through Carlo & your bike shall be healed"

Offline bad Chad

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2022, 04:46:41 PM »
I have had on a few occasions over the years when both my 07 Breva and 17 Roamer have had the tac's do that. 

What worked for me each time was to cycle the ignition on and off, several times, depending on how far off the tach needle was.

Each time I turned the ignition on, it would settle the needle a bit closer to 0.   In my case the most I had to do it was about 4-5 times.

Good luck!
2007 Breva 1100  Red Arrow (and faster than yours!)
2016 CSC 250TT Zongshen
2017 V9 Roamer

Offline Juan1

• New Egg
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2022, 02:48:48 PM »
This fixed it for me: https://www.forumguzzi.fr/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=7643

These were the steps I took, and I was careful the whole time as all the parts need to be reused:
1. Pull the two allens that hold the dash onto the headstock.
2. Pull the four allen head screws that hold the plastic back on the tach, speedo, and center section.  There are two on the speedo side, and two on the tach side.
3. Pull the three phillips head screws that hold the metal bracket to the individual tach unit.
4. Unplug the electronic connector from the tach.  There is an obvious area near the bottom of the plug that needs to be depressed in order to disconnect the plug.
5. Pull the rubber o-ring that touches the chrome tach ring away from the chrome.
6. Carefully pry up the rear edges of the chrome ring from the side of the tach with a small screwdriver.  The front of this chrome ring pushes a big rubber ring against the tach's glass, which is pushed against the plastic tach housing.  Once the ring is opened up enough, pry the ring forward until it is off of the tach.  Be careful here.
7.  Remove the rubber ring and glass (clear plastic really).
8. Manually push  the tach needle so that it is at the bottom-most line, one below the 0.
9.  Plug the tach into the electronic connector and make sure the needle goes to 0 when you turn the bike on.  If you adjusted too far in the prior step, push the needle forward until you feel some resistance.  That resistance is the shaft for the gauge maxing out, and the needle rotating on it.
10. Press the round button where the needle connects to the shaft down.  This will anchor the needle to the shaft better.
11. Turn the bike on again and make sure everything is where you want it.
12. Disconnect the tach from the bike.
13. Put the glass and the rubber back on the tach and fully seat them.
14. This step is a pain, but get the chrome ring back over the plastic lip on the tach.  The rubber being fully seated in the prior step will help.  I found it helpful to try to push down each part of the chrome ring at the same time.  If one section of the chrome ring is fully on, getting the other side of the ring over the plastic lip is very difficult.  On the other hand, if one section of the chrome ring is just barely on, getting the other side on is much easier.  Take your time here.
15.  Bend the back-side, of the chrome ring, meaning the part that extends towards the rear of the tach, back on.  Basically, undo what you did in step 6.  Be slow and careful.
16. Perform steps 5-1 in reverse.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2022, 02:49:32 PM by Juan1 »

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here