Author Topic: Downsizing for more fun.  (Read 2193 times)

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Offline Cool Runnings

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Downsizing for more fun.
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2016, 04:44:07 PM »
Looks like a total hoot!  :thumb:

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2016, 04:47:34 PM »
Kind of like looking for fun while bicycling.  Everything at a slower speed.
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Offline boatdetective

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2016, 06:48:46 AM »
My neighbor got one for her son on his 16th birthday (I know- best Mom EVER). I live in a very congested old New England town- the Ruckus is perfect for bombing around in this environment. Great design.

However, my basic feeling is that most 50cc bikes are just too slow to command a lane of traffic. As a result, you often times have a car jammed up your exhaust pipe while you have the poor little thing pinned. You just need to have some more juice to get out of the way.

My exGF had an LX150 Vespa and it was delightful. Just enough power and had no problem running around at 50 on a B road. Doing the Dragon on a Vespa- or with a buzzing swarm of Vespae- would be an absolute gas.
Jonathan K
Marblehead, MA

1981 V50III "Gina"
2007 Griso 1100 "Bluto" (departed but not forgotten)
2003 EV "Lola" gone to the "Ridin' Realtor" in Peoria
2007 1200 Sport "Ginger"

"Who's the cat who won't cop out, when there's danger all about?"  -Isaac Hayes

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2016, 06:48:46 AM »

Offline guzziknight

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2016, 08:08:39 AM »
Last year I took my Aprilia Scarabeo 200 on a long day ride, including the Cherohala Skyway and the Dragon, 400 miles total. It has 16 inch wheels and makes a whopping 19 hp. The looks I got while riding the Dragon and at the store after, were hilarious. They couldn't seem to grasp how I was riding there on a small scooter. But what fun it was. It only struggled for speed on the steepest part of the Cherohala and got 75mpg during the ride. Hard to complain about that!!

Blue Knights Georgia VII
Iron Butt Association #18342
Moto Guzzi National Owners Club #L-773

Four Wheels Move the Body. Two Wheels Move the Soul.

Calling an Illegal Alien an "Undocumented Immigrant" is like calling a drug dealer an "Unlicensed Pharmacist."

Atlanta, GA

Offline guzziknight

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2016, 08:55:59 AM »
Here's a good one from last year about a guy who rode from Key West to Alaska on a 50cc ruckus. Good video to watch...

http://lanesplitter.jalopnik.com/this-guy-quit-his-job-and-rode-30k-miles-on-a-honda-ruc-1700749213
Blue Knights Georgia VII
Iron Butt Association #18342
Moto Guzzi National Owners Club #L-773

Four Wheels Move the Body. Two Wheels Move the Soul.

Calling an Illegal Alien an "Undocumented Immigrant" is like calling a drug dealer an "Unlicensed Pharmacist."

Atlanta, GA

Offline Sheepdog

• Gaggle Hero
  • 2007 Moto Guzzi California Vintage
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2016, 12:49:54 PM »
Yesterday, I had errands to run and it was the Piaggio's turn in the rotation. One thing led to another and I wound up spending all day riding that scooter. It is a gas! I'll admit that the larger diameter wheels and the 500cc engine make this a very motorcycle-like scoot, but there is great joy to be had when you dust all the cages off the line with a bike they thought would block their progress...
"Change is inevitable. Growth is optional." John C. Maxwell

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2016, 02:44:47 PM »
My neighbor got one for her son on his 16th birthday (I know- best Mom EVER). I live in a very congested old New England town- the Ruckus is perfect for bombing around in this environment. Great design.

However, my basic feeling is that most 50cc bikes are just too slow to command a lane of traffic. As a result, you often times have a car jammed up your exhaust pipe while you have the poor little thing pinned. You just need to have some more juice to get out of the way.

Over here, IIRC under 50cc's and max speed 35 qualifies a scooter to be classified as a moped.  Anything outside of that is a scooter and needs a motorcycle/scooter endorsement.  A moped scooter rider still needs a basic driver's license and can operate in the bike lanes.  This is a good way to make time in congested roadways.

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2016, 04:39:20 PM »
Here's a good one from last year about a guy who rode from Key West to Alaska on a 50cc ruckus. Good video to watch...

http://lanesplitter.jalopnik.com/this-guy-quit-his-job-and-rode-30k-miles-on-a-honda-ruc-1700749213

Thanks.  :thumb:

Offline wrbix

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2016, 06:32:29 PM »
Last year I took my Aprilia Scarabeo 200 on a long day ride, including the Cherohala Skyway and the Dragon, 400 miles total. It has 16 inch wheels and makes a whopping 19 hp. The looks I got while riding the Dragon and at the store after, were hilarious. They couldn't seem to grasp how I was riding there on a small scooter. But what fun it was. It only struggled for speed on the steepest part of the Cherohala and got 75mpg during the ride. Hard to complain about that!!

Love my Scarabeo - keep it in FL.... No hills to struggle with. Really appreciate the stability of the 16"s at speed.
Bill in VA, sometimes FL

"Eschew aphorism"

LeMans IV - "Giulia"
Lario - "Giulietta"
V50III cafe'd - "Leggera"
‘77 Convert - “Sofia”
BMW airheads: R100RS, R100CS, R100GS, R100RT, R60/2 sidecar rig
Classic Mini
‘60 Austin Healey Sprite
Caterham Super Seven Sprint
‘13 Audi TTRS
Grumman AA5B (sold)

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here