Author Topic: While you guys are fryin'  (Read 2681 times)

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
While you guys are fryin'
« on: July 23, 2016, 01:23:15 PM »
We're waiting for the tropical storm Darby to hit us.  Temps. are nice and cool.  East side of the island has heavy rain showers and high winds predicted.  We've already had some light showers but now clear with partially cloudy skies.  Temp. around 80F.  Humidity 25% w/wind speed at 20 mph.  Supposedly, the weather guys have opined that we'll have rain all over the state and we should ramp up for disaster conditions. :tongue:
« Last Edit: July 23, 2016, 01:24:52 PM by Tom »
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
Re: While you guys are fryin'
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2016, 01:30:45 PM »
It's just a matter of managing the heat, when you're out riding.

Fay and I just got back from a 2000 mile trip in Kentucky and Tennessee; temps during the day hit 95 or so and stickily humid but we still had a great time.

Plenty of water, the right gear, a few shady roads along creeks, enough breaks to make it enjoyable.

And no need to fight giant poisonous centipedes.    Coal trucks yes, centipedes no.

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Online bigbikerrick

• Gaggle Hero
  • 73 Eldo, 98 V 11 ,12 Ural Gear Up, 76 Convert,
  • Location: Southeastern corner of Arizona, right next to "Old Mexico, and New Mexico"
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2016, 01:39:47 PM »
Where does one find "Giant poisonous centipedes"?  Sounds like something from "down under" no?
Rick.                                                                       :popcorn:
"You meet the most interesting people on a Guzzi"

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2016, 01:52:20 PM »
Where does one find "Giant poisonous centipedes"?  Sounds like something from "down under" no?
Rick.                                                                       :popcorn:

Here's a whole recent page of WildGuzzi Giant Poisonous Centipede tales, courtesy of the Hawaii Tourist Board, guaranteed to make your wedding tackle shrink and your knees press together tightly ....

http://wildguzzi.com/forum/index.php?topic=84662.msg1337778#msg1337778

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2016, 01:52:20 PM »

twowings

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2016, 02:11:02 PM »
We're waiting for the tropical storm Darby to hit us.  Temps. are nice and cool.  East side of the island has heavy rain showers and high winds predicted.  We've already had some light showers but now clear with partially cloudy skies.  Temp. around 80F.  Humidity 25% w/wind speed at 20 mph.  Supposedly, the weather guys have opined that we'll have rain all over the state and we should ramp up for disaster conditions. :tongue:

Hate to say it, but from where we sit, that sounds like paradise..currently 99 degrees here in Okiehoma with 106 degree heat index..I put the Norge away...just not fun to ride ATGATT in this heat unless headed to a shady campground and an ice-cold adult beverage...
« Last Edit: July 23, 2016, 02:11:35 PM by twowings »

Offline Cool Runnings

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2016, 03:34:08 PM »
Hate to say it, but from where we sit, that sounds like paradise..currently 99 degrees here in Okiehoma with 106 degree heat index..I put the Norge away...just not fun to ride ATGATT in this heat unless headed to a shady campground and an ice-cold adult beverage...

We just got our rain day. Temps back into the 70's F.

It's been so fricken hot here, I was frying on the Vespa with sandals, swim suit, t-shirt and a cheap pair of sunglasses.

Offline Sasquatch Jim

• Gaggle Hero
  • Sidecar - Best drive by shooting vehicle ever
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2016, 03:48:21 PM »

Right here!  And it really smarts when they sting. I see them every day on the road hit by cars, sometimes on the shoulder as I go by on my wheelchair.  What bothers me is when I find them in my house, especially if they are stinging me.  I have seen them on this island as much as a foot long and very aggressive.  I beat that one to death with a large pair of channel-locks.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scolopendra_subspinipes

And BTW in my neighborhood Darby was a lot of huff and puff with no damage other than a 3 hour power outage.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2016, 03:50:38 PM by Sasquatch Jim »
Sasquatch Jim        Humanoid, sort of.

twowings

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2016, 04:04:04 PM »
Update:  101 actual degrees with 108 degree heat index...if you are riding in this stuff, you are a far better man than I am.... :bow:

Offline ITSec

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2016, 07:19:37 PM »
It's cooled off a bit here...

Current conditions at
Las Vegas, McCarran International Airport (KLAS)
Lat: 36.07188°N Lon: 115.1634°W Elev: 2180ft.

Fair
111°F
44°C
ITSecurity
2012 Griso 8v SE - Tenni Green
2013 Stelvio NTX - Copper
2008 Norge GT - Silver

I am but mad north-northwest!
When the wind is southerly, I can tell a hawk from a handsaw...

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2016, 07:24:27 PM »
Livestock??? 

"suspinipes is a popular pet among arthropod hobbyists.[4] The centipede was a traditional food source for Aboriginal Australians."

Weather is hot with higher humidity.  Feels like 88F w/35% humidity.  Partially cloudy skies with 15mph breeze.  I turned a fan on and opened the windows.    Currently have MTV Live on w/ the 2013 Crossroads Guitar Festival (Eric Clapton presents).
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Offline travelingbyguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • God hates a coward
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2016, 12:50:01 PM »
80° and sunny in Seattle. Exceptionally nice.
Last Friday it rained hard enough that for the second time in 16  years, I had to dry out the distributor cap on my Eldo. We needed the rain, tho.
73 Eldorado
80 Sp
85 Cal II
97 1100Sport
08 1200 Sport AKA:Sweet Leaf
I'm not really drowning; I can see the beach from here.

Offline Sasquatch Jim

• Gaggle Hero
  • Sidecar - Best drive by shooting vehicle ever
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2016, 05:21:31 PM »
  Well Darby has come and gone.  3 hour power outage Friday and a 6 hour outage Saturday, No other noticable damage in my part of the island.
Sasquatch Jim        Humanoid, sort of.

Offline bad Chad

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2016, 06:09:54 PM »
We are not frying hear in the "heartland", we are being stewed to death,  a big difference from my perspective! :angry:

These are not times.  Last year was the hottest in recorded times.  But don't let that get you down, every month of 2016 has been hotter than the the same month of 2015!!!
« Last Edit: July 24, 2016, 06:11:49 PM by bad Chad »
2007 Breva 1100  Red Arrow (and faster than yours!)
2016 CSC 250TT Zongshen
2017 V9 Roamer

Offline Cool Runnings

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2016, 08:45:59 PM »
We are not frying hear in the "heartland", we are being stewed to death,  a big difference from my perspective! :angry:

These are not times.  Last year was the hottest in recorded times.  But don't let that get you down, every month of 2016 has been hotter than the the same month of 2015!!!

Sorry, the data will PROVE you incorrect.  :popcorn:

http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/cag/time-series/us

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2016, 08:17:02 PM »
The storm passed us and hit Maui, Molokai, Lanai and Oahu.  We had some more breezes with a drizzle for my weeds.  Some of the reports were 9", 10" and 11" rain in less than 12 hours.  It was a non-event for Kona.

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here