Author Topic: Pocket knifes. Do you carry one?  (Read 16320 times)

Offline Mayor_of_BBQ

• Instagram: @Mayor_of_BBQ
  • Gaggle Hero
  • 'Ever thus to deadbeats, Lebowski'
Re: Pocket knifes. Do you carry one?
« Reply #60 on: February 02, 2017, 10:47:38 AM »

PS the blades are stainless.  Not sure which alloy but they do not hold an edge like carbon.  If your primary needs are heavy cutting then a dedicated folder with carbon blade (or maybe damascus) would be better.

I'm well acquainted with the pros/cons of carbon steel and stainless. I have a whole toolbox of knives for every purpose in the kitchen... I prefer a carbon steel chef & boning knife (plus cleavers-duh), but for pocket use that runs the gamut from cleaning my nails, to ripping down boxes to trimming twine to coring an apple.... I use stainless.  My hands are some level of wet for probably 30% of the workday... plus I dunk my pocketknife in sanitizer solution probably 15x a day... So something I can fold up damp and put back in the pocket outweighs ease of sharpening. I can put a 'better than razor' edge on carbon or stainless anyway, so sharpening isn't much a consideration for me.  I keep my waterstones at the ready and end up sharpening SOOMETHING at least 2x a week...  never a big deal to touch up the EDC while I'm at it.

as for the leatherman or swiss army types...  If I need a tool, I have a workshop and home & work, tool kit on the bike, and in the car & truck. I will just grab the tool I need, no reason to carry a awkward 'do-it-all' folding multi-tool thats more cumbersome to use than an actual screwdriver/awl/file/pliers/etc

YMMV....  Knives are the #1 tool of my trade..  so if I want a knife, I use a knife (lord knows I have plenty) if I want a tool, I use the actual tool
Chad (Shadrach) in Asheville NC
1979 LeMans CX-100 (battle axe)
2007 Breva 1100 (Sport 1200 tribute)

Offline sidecarnutz

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #61 on: February 02, 2017, 11:11:41 AM »
When ever I go out the door. :thumb: The Buck 110 has been with me for over 40years. Cant even guess at the number of deer its field dressed, gaskets trimmed and so on. The little NRA clip knife has been around for about ten years now. Tried to loose it at least four or five times but its always come back home so far. Carried a pocket combo tool for a long time but don't now that I am retired.

Wow. I carried a Buck in a leather case like that for years in the Navy in enginerooms. Outstanding tool!
yeah, I might be addicted to brake fluid. But I can stop any time I want.

2002 Kawasaki ZR7S
2021 Royal Enfield 650 Conti GT

Offline drlapo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #62 on: February 02, 2017, 11:44:01 AM »
Shrade model T50 for the last 30years.
I have a spare but haven't needed it yet.
I've had a knife in my pocket since 6th grade. Needed it to cut the string on bundles of newspapers that I delivered.
It was in my pocket all day from 6th grade through college.

Offline Darren Williams

• Finally got me a Griso!
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Life is too short to go slow!
« Reply #63 on: February 02, 2017, 12:30:59 PM »
"About 6 months ago, my brother in law broke the file off using it for a pry bar."

Si Abeid
Kettle Falls, WA

I bought a knife many years ago that had a card inside that said something like "congratulations on buying this top quality knife. It will be the most expensive and least effective pry bar you will ever own"
The best part of riding a motorcycle is to tilt the horizon and to lift the front coming out of a corner and to drift the back end powering thru loose dirt and to catch a little air topping a hill and... yeah it's all good!

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #63 on: February 02, 2017, 12:30:59 PM »

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #64 on: February 02, 2017, 01:08:16 PM »
I have a Buck 110 with sheath.  Use to carry all the time when I owned/operated taxicabs in Phoenix.  High Standard .22 mag. pistol on the left.  Buck on the right and tire iron under the driver's seat.  Used the Buck a number of times.  Pulled the pistol once.
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #65 on: February 02, 2017, 01:27:16 PM »
so if I want a knife, I use a knife (lord knows I have plenty) if I want a tool, I use the actual tool
Yeah, me too. After all, I *am* a tool geek.  :smiley: That said, I always have a Swiss Army knife (with corkscrew and toothpick)  :thumb: and a good 'Merican made multi tool along with the bike's tool kit.
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline uncle

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #66 on: February 02, 2017, 01:30:31 PM »
My daily carry for over 20 years -  Opinel #6 and a Leatherman Micra - very useful, easy to maintain and cheap to replace...

Ever onward...

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #67 on: February 02, 2017, 01:43:42 PM »
I prefer a carbon steel chef & boning knife (plus cleavers-duh),

Here's a chef's knife I made back in uhh 79. The handles are Rosewood, no need to take care of them.. brass rivets and bolsters are brass billet, the blade is Brown and Sharp 01 oil hardening tool steel. I hardened the blade to Rockwell C60, then color drew everything but the cutting edge back to RC45. I'm not afraid to cut a pound of frozen hamburger in half with it. Use it every day, sharpen it (very) occasionally. I've never actually looked to see if you can buy something like it, but if you can, I'll bet it's really expensive.  :smiley:

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline Muzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • On the backside of the planet.
« Reply #68 on: February 02, 2017, 02:46:52 PM »
My daily carry for over 20 years -  Opinel #6 and a Leatherman Micra - very useful, easy to maintain and cheap to replace...

That's the Opinel. I think my hunting one is either an #11 or a #12. About the biggest anyway. I got mine in France when I was over there. Not too common in NZ.
Muzz. Cristchurch, New Zealand
03 Breva

Life is just a bowl of Allbran
Ya wake up in the morning and it's there

Offline donn

• Gaggle Hero
  • The thing is, I do want a pickle.
« Reply #69 on: February 02, 2017, 04:02:45 PM »
You can get your found-in-the-xray pocket knives back from the TSA now.

You have to go with the TSA guy back to a little shipping table, and pay $11 to put it in a box and have it shipped home.

I suppose this service wasn't available a few years back when we were on our way back from Puerto Rico.  I went over to the US Post Office and mailed it myself.  I can't believe my own story here, so maybe I misremember, but seems to me it got home before we did, and we flew about as straight as one can, one connection in Dallas.  A small wood sided Buck that I hung on to for a couple more years, then it fell out of my pocket or something.  Now have a Buck with a locking back, and a Case stockman that makes a big, heavy pocket item, both inherited from someone I'm not related to.

Offline JJ

• Gaggle Hero
  • Life is meant to ENJOY...not "endure."
« Reply #70 on: February 02, 2017, 04:32:52 PM »
I sold my 25-year vintage pocket-knife collection (several hundred...) a few years ago.  Here are two modern ones I liked and bought recently.  Ken Onion design and made by CRKT.   I also have a titanium Sebenza by South African knife-maker / machinist Chris Reeves that I like and carry... :thumb:  :cool:

With all my domestic / international travel...I always have to remember NOT be carrying one when I go to the airport!! :rolleyes: :shocked:

Life Member: MGNOC L-772, AMA, HOG
'98 V10 Centauro GT
Village of Oak Creek, AZ

stormshearon

« Reply #71 on: February 02, 2017, 04:38:29 PM »
Everyday - a small Swiss Army knife for the tooth pick and scissors plus a Spyderco Delica with a straight blade - I leave the serrated 'assault'  blade one at home.

Offline Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #72 on: February 02, 2017, 06:55:12 PM »
     I used to always have a Schrade old timer in my pocket. I used it for everything. One time I was able to extricate my trapped left hand from a knotter stack on a New Holland hay baler with it, using it to pull the cotter pins out of the master link, then as a hammer to beat the chain apart. (a long story). About 25 years ago I started carrying a basic Leatherman with me. I use it for everything. It is a very high quality tool. Even the pliers are the real deal. It is made in Portland, Oregon, and if it breaks,  they will replace it, no matter how old it is. About 6 months ago, my brother in law broke the file off using it for a pry bar. He bought me a new one called a  "Rebar", and my old one now resides in his fishing tackle box. The Rebar is even better than the original. I really don't know how people can get by without one. I use it for something every day. The kids always make fun of me for always having it on my belt, but they are always asking to use it, too!
     The story I heard was that Tom Leatherman, of Portland, Oregon, was travelling the "hippie highway" in an old Fiat that was always breaking down. He spent a lot of time wishing he could have one tool that could fix a lot of little things. When he came home, he came up with the Leatherman, trying to improve upon the Swiss Army Knife. I think he succeeded.

Si Abeid
Kettle Falls, WA
I'm with you buddy, I've been carrying a basic leatherman for 30 years now. They have replaced it twice free of charge. The last time I sent it back a couple years ago and they said the one I have had been discontinued now. I begged and they rebuilt it with leftover parts instead of sending a new one, I'm happy with that! They are a great company. I have saved two horses on separate occasions by cutting them out of being tangled up in barbwire. If my pants are on my leatherman in in my pocket:)

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #73 on: February 02, 2017, 07:53:06 PM »
Here's a chef's knife I made back in uhh 79. The handles are Rosewood, no need to take care of them.. brass rivets and bolsters are brass billet, the blade is Brown and Sharp 01 oil hardening tool steel. I hardened the blade to Rockwell C60, then color drew everything but the cutting edge back to RC45. I'm not afraid to cut a pound of frozen hamburger in half with it. Use it every day, sharpen it (very) occasionally. I've never actually looked to see if you can buy something like it, but if you can, I'll bet it's really expensive.  :smiley:

That's a pretty knife, and looks like it was designed to work hard ....

Our family has been buying knives (kitchen, utility, brush-cutting) from a fellow name Louis who makes them at home and sells them in a local swap meet every month.   

He cuts the blanks out of old bandsaw blades from local sawmills, then shapes and sharpens them and fabricates rough-and-ready handles from local hardwood.   

It's carbon steel, gotta keep 'em oiled, but they will take a razor edge and keep it for a long time.   Between me and my sons, we've probably bought 60 of them.   Not hard to do since he sells the paring knife-size for $5, a medium knife for $10, and a large boning or butcher knife for $20.   My son ordered a dozen machetes from him for his company for brush-clearing work ....

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #74 on: February 03, 2017, 09:31:51 AM »
I made a paring knife at around the same time out of stainless. Fits my hand perfectly, of course. It sucks. Won't hold an edge. Should have made it out of a saw blade.  :smiley:
2017-02-03_10-26-29 by Charles Stottlemyer, on Flickr

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

Offline JJ

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #75 on: February 03, 2017, 10:22:22 AM »
This is my other carry knife -  The "Sebenza" - titanium, liner-lock, limited edition (#140), by South African knife-maker / machinist Chris Reeves.  I had my name etched on the blade - just for fun - at a knife show years ago.  Nice size, and virtually indestructible, and silly-sharp...no issues holding an edge on this beauty! :thumb: :cool:

'98 V10 Centauro GT
Village of Oak Creek, AZ

Offline kirb

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #76 on: February 03, 2017, 10:48:01 AM »
Benchmade tanto blade (must be under 3" due to work rules)
Benchmade drop point

New gift was a Kershaw damascus blade spring assist.... I could get used to that feature.

Offline JJ

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #77 on: February 03, 2017, 01:28:33 PM »
Benchmade tanto blade (must be under 3" due to work rules)
Benchmade drop point

New gift was a Kershaw damascus blade spring assist.... I could get used to that feature.

Both Benchmade and Kershaw make good knives...for the money...as does CRKT. :thumb: :cool:
« Last Edit: February 03, 2017, 01:29:27 PM by JJ »
'98 V10 Centauro GT
Village of Oak Creek, AZ

Offline sturgeon

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #78 on: February 03, 2017, 01:57:48 PM »
Here's a chef's knife I made back in uhh 79.

You must have awful big pockets.  :bow:
Dyslexics Untie!

11 Yamaha WR250R
14 Moto Guzzi V7S
16 BMW R1200R

Offline Stoned

• New Egg
« Reply #79 on: February 03, 2017, 05:35:20 PM »
Hi Tom!

I don't carry a knife day to day because of passing through metal detectors constantly at work.  I still own the knife I used to carry for work and general stabbing.  It is an old Case XX sod buster.

-Tom (from Cleveland)

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #80 on: February 03, 2017, 05:54:36 PM »
You must have awful big pockets.  :bow:

Yeah.. I'm bad.  :shocked:
Well, that was in response to Chris's carbon vs stainless chef knife statement.. For EDC, I'd probably have to get a shoulder holster. <shrug>

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

Offline charlie b

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #81 on: February 03, 2017, 09:48:04 PM »
Yep, I usually use the right tool for the job.  But, if you are away from your area and don't have immediate access to a tool box, the lowly Leatherman can do a lot.

I probably use the pliers as much as I do the knife blades, mainly for grabbing and holding stuff but also for emergency electrical work.  Like pulling or reinstalling electrical connectors where fingers don't reach.  Or crimping on a new connector by the side of the road.  Heck, even crimping a new end on the carb end of a throttle cable.

I originally bought a Leatherman because of moving to larger acreage.  Seemed I was always out away from the shop or house when I needed a simple tool, like a phillips screwdriver.  So, started carrying it.  Since then I always seem to have it.  Instead of having to go and get/open a tool box for a screwdriver I just get it off my belt.

So, yeah, even though I have a pretty complete tool box sitting around the Leatherman might be the right tool for the job.
1984 850 T5 (sold)
2009 Dodge Cummins 2500

janusz

« Reply #82 on: February 04, 2017, 12:09:12 AM »
No, I don't. In 63 years of being on this planet I've never felt I really needed to carry one.

Offline charlie b

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #83 on: February 04, 2017, 07:07:28 AM »
I made a paring knife at around the same time out of stainless. Fits my hand perfectly, of course. It sucks. Won't hold an edge. Should have made it out of a saw blade.  :smiley:

Wife's grandfather was the saw sharpener at a piano factory until the 60's.  He also made knife blades from big bandsaw blades.  Wicked sharp, but, he could put a razor edge on anything metal.  He shaved with straight razors his whole life.  He also scoffed at stainless unless they needed to be used near water all the time (he lived in South Haven, MI).

Father-in-law had a beautiful set of stainless kitchen knives, one of the German brands.  He never used them.  He got three from Chicago Cutlery.  Cheap carbon steel.  Those were kept sharp for kitchen use.  He was the one who taught me to sharped blades.  I am still not good at it  :)
1984 850 T5 (sold)
2009 Dodge Cummins 2500

Offline twodogs

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #84 on: February 04, 2017, 07:42:40 AM »

I used to carry my Westmark all the time but now the little one takes that job.
2-2023 Yamaha TW200
2022 Triumph 850 sport

Offline JJ

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #85 on: February 04, 2017, 08:02:43 AM »
Yep, I usually use the right tool for the job.  But, if you are away from your area and don't have immediate access to a tool box, the lowly Leatherman can do a lot.

I probably use the pliers as much as I do the knife blades, mainly for grabbing and holding stuff but also for emergency electrical work.  Like pulling or reinstalling electrical connectors where fingers don't reach.  Or crimping on a new connector by the side of the road.  Heck, even crimping a new end on the carb end of a throttle cable.

I originally bought a Leatherman because of moving to larger acre age.  Seemed I was always out away from the shop or house when I needed a simple tool, like a phillips screwdriver.  So, started carrying it.  Since then I always seem to have it.  Instead of having to go and get/open a tool box for a screwdriver I just get it off my belt.

So, yeah, even though I have a pretty complete tool box sitting around the Leatherman might be the right tool for the job.

Speaking of Letherman's, I always keep a UPT (Utility Pocket Tool), in all my vehicles, including both motorcycles. :cool: :thumb:
'98 V10 Centauro GT
Village of Oak Creek, AZ

Offline Steve Scott

• Gaggle Hero
  • Ride, Fettle, Repeat
« Reply #86 on: February 04, 2017, 08:17:09 AM »
My EDC is a Kershaw Scallion spring-assisted liner-lock, bought to replace my lost and dearly missed home-made lock-back flicker. The Scallion is mechanically clever and I love the spring assist, but the safety lock is a bit of an afterthought and kinda cumbersome.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2017, 08:27:43 AM by Steve Scott »
'79 Morini 500S
'00 'Guzzi Jackal
'67 Teisco ET-440
Spring Grove, PA USA

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #87 on: February 04, 2017, 11:14:40 AM »
No, I don't. In 63 years of being on this planet I've never felt I really needed to carry one.

Different strokes eh?   

Kinda like me ... I've never felt the need to carry a cell phone, never found a use for one that was worth the hassle.   And yet other people tote them all the time ...

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline hidn45

• Gosling
« Reply #88 on: February 04, 2017, 12:04:48 PM »
Rule #9 - always carry a knife
Had something sharp in my pocket since about age 7 - 8.  Think I was 13 when my parents presented me with a Schrade Old Timer medium stockman for my birthday.  Carried & used it always until I broke the clip blade while wiring our [then] new house.  Have assembled a boxful since then trying to find something that worked for me.  Nowadays it's a Browning small Mountain Ti framelock folder clipped to my left front pocket.  About the smallest useful EDC knife I can afford to lose (& have, several times, but always managed to find it again).

Just finished a little fixed-blade EDC that I need to make a sheath for to start carrying.

The Little Woman has her assisted-opening Gerber.

Some of the Japanese stainless - AUS series & Hitachi ATS - & the Sandvik series & Crucible's CPM's (US) are "cutting edge" (pun intended) hi-tech stainless steels that hold a great edge, but they're very expensive, both material & labor-wise.

Randy
Y2K Bassa - "Benedetta" (sold)
1986 Cali II - "Moose"
1977 T-3 [formerly FB] - name TBD

MGNOC member # 22,000

Offline uncle

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #89 on: February 04, 2017, 02:59:16 PM »
For those that know about Opinel knives -  this was a gift from my brother that he brought back from France once - (great gift!)

Ever onward...

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here