Author Topic: Bead breaker  (Read 2182 times)

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
Bead breaker
« on: July 26, 2017, 08:14:04 PM »
Got a shot of a bead breaker that the friend in PHX bought.  Any one have one and use it?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071Z9BBY9/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
« Last Edit: July 26, 2017, 08:15:00 PM by Tom »
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Online acogoff

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Bead breaker
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2017, 09:01:36 PM »
     Looks to be a bit hard on the spokes unless you support the rim with a shim block on the bottom of the rim opposite the pusher downer.  Just a large c clamp has always done the job for me.
'77850t3FB Owned since it was new
Marshall County Minnesota USA

Offline pyoungbl

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2017, 09:24:05 PM »
That bead breaker looks like it will work for one specific wheel size.  Lots of metal to metal contact, even at the correct size.  I suspect it's a case of getting what you paid for. 
Growing old ain't for sissies.

'13 V7 Special (red/white)

Offline Seventy One

• Hatchling
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2017, 10:25:55 PM »
I have one similar to that. It easily breaks beads on everything from 21" to 17" rims. The upper portion is rubber coated so there is no metal-to-metal contact.

The one in the ad is different than mine in that it appears to have rubber/plastic in four areas around the upper portion. Doesn't appear to be a deal breaker though. If it was a problem I'd just wrap it in duct tape and call it good.

I paid $85 for mine. For $44 and free shipping I'd jump on that.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2017, 10:25:55 PM »

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2017, 04:16:33 PM »
 :1: on doing that on a 10 gallon oil drum.  I have a large clam shell clamp for breaking beads at home. 
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2017, 04:25:20 PM »
:1: on doing that on a 10 gallon oil drum.  I have a large clam shell clamp for breaking beads at home.

I have the bottom part of an old Harbor Fright tire changer - most of it's broken, but the "bead breaker" on the bottom still works.   Clumsy, though, and you have to carefully support the wheel or you'll bend a brake disk.

I've been thinking about getting one of the plastic "chisel shaped" ones you hit with a mallet ....

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline Muzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • On the backside of the planet.
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2017, 04:26:14 PM »
I thought of using my hydraulic jack as a bead breaker. Used my 4wd SUV as a weight. Jacked the rear clean off the ground and it still wouldn't come loose! :shocked: Took it to the shop. :embarrassed: When I picked it up they said they had a bit of a job to get it off........  Didn't feel so bad after that.

The picture of that bead breaker has given me some ideas though. :thumb:
Muzz. Cristchurch, New Zealand
03 Breva

Life is just a bowl of Allbran
Ya wake up in the morning and it's there

Online blackcat

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2017, 04:49:10 PM »
I use a 4' length of 2x4 with a short piece added at an angle to engage the edge of the tire and another piece added to the bottom of the 2x4 to hook under the bottom of a stair landing* Locate tire in front of landing, push down on 2x4 and almost instant "pop"

Almost zero cost too.

*or install door hinge to garage wall & 2x4 instead of using a landing; adjust as needed.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2017, 05:01:22 PM by blackcat »
1968 Norton Fastback
1976 Lemans
1981 CX-100
1993 1000S
1997 Daytona RS
2007 Red Norge

Offline Sheepdog

• Gaggle Hero
  • 2007 Moto Guzzi California Vintage
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2017, 05:26:07 PM »
I use my HF tire changer (complete with Mojo Blocks) to break beads in the shop. On the road I use the bike's sidestand...
"Change is inevitable. Growth is optional." John C. Maxwell

Online n3303j

• Ron Cichowski
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2017, 05:55:20 PM »
That breaker picture posted is the economy version of my $90 unit. The upper and lower rings are held together with  clamp bands  and screws at 8 points. Makes it cheap to ship. Mine is a welded assembly with tubular links. All is very rigid. Top ring is vinyl coated to protect the wheels.  Works like a charm.
'98 MG V11 EV
'96 URAL SPORTSMAN
'77 MG 850T3 FB

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here