Author Topic: Something to check out if you live near DoD site.  (Read 1076 times)

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Online normzone

• Gaggle Hero
  • '72 Eldo - 1980 to 1990 - '99 Bassa 2014 - 2023
Re: Something to check out if you live near DoD site.
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2017, 07:58:24 PM »
No surprises there - San Diego is a hub for the military boys.

A diver I know brought up something interesting looking from the bottom out by San Clemente island - as he cleared the surface it began emitting smoke. He dropped it and left all that interesting stuff alone forever after.
That's the combustion chamber of the turbo shaft. It is supposed to be on fire. You just don't usually see it but the case and fairing fell off.

Orange Guzzi

Re: Something to check out if you live near DoD site.
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2017, 08:10:28 PM »
1 mile from my house is the old Indiana Army Ammunition Plant and Prisoner of War facility.  Build in 1942.  Fast track project.  Was producing black powder within a few months of the first shovel of dirt turned over.  There are a few building left.  The BRAC turned the property over to River Ridge Redevelopment Authority which has spent $100's of million decontaminating and rebuilding into one of the top  5 industrial and technology center in the U.S.  The new roads are called heavy haul roads.  It is only 1/10 of capacity right now.  The roads are great for road racing.  No traffic, good line of site, changing elevations and none are straight.  The expected employment is between 45,000 and 65,000 in the next 10 years.  The whole County is a construction sight.  Roads around the area are massively under capacity.  Land prices and housing are going up daily. 

Jefferson Proving grounds in nearby also.  Radio active waste.  There is a missile silo on the north end.  Crane Naval weapons a hour and half away. 3rd largest U.S. Navel base in U.S. in the middle of Indiana.  Quarter Master Depot is a few miles away.  It was a Civil War storage facility.  Used for many years as a small business plaza.  Refurbished  a few years ago.  It was a very interesting place.  There was artwork/drawing all over the interior from way back.  Indiana was a good location because the "ball bearing" factory could not be reached by bombers. 

There were a couple of massive explosions on the Indiana Army Ammunition property in the past.  Blowing out windows 10 miles away.

I see George Field, Lawrenceville, IL.  I attended flight school in Vincennes, Indiana.  We used this airport for flight training.  A massive place in the middle of no where.   

Freeman Field, Seymour.  They found several old aircraft buried there recently.  They are digging them up.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2017, 08:27:48 PM by Orange Guzzi »

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here