Author Topic: SpeedHut Redux - paging Kiwi Roy  (Read 1249 times)

Offline Dharma Bum

• Gaggle Mentor
SpeedHut Redux - paging Kiwi Roy
« on: September 22, 2015, 01:14:26 PM »
I just pulled the trigger and ordered an electronic speedo and tach from SpeedHut.  I have researched the wealth of information provided on this site and others.  I have a couple of questions that Roy, or someone else that has followed his excellent instructions, might answer regarding the reed switch he built for the speedo drive.  Are both ends of the reed switch wired to the speedo, or will one end need to be powered from an outside source?  How is the brass bolt that is adapted to the existing speedo drive held in place?  Seems like it would just spin up and out.
Maybe I'm just overthinking the issue but I do have some time before the units arrive.  Thanks in advance.

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
Re: SpeedHut Redux - paging Kiwi Roy
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2015, 03:01:16 PM »
Both ends of the reed switch are wired to the speedo, it supplies a small Voltage.
The brass bolt just sit's in the square hole by gravity, it doesn't spin very fast, I think the standard is 1,000 revs per mile. any non ferrous metal or plastic will do.

If you need any help send me an e-mail, PM sent.

Here's a good tutorial on the switches

http://dkc1.digikey.com/ca/en/TOD/Meder/Reed-Switch-Magnet-Interaction/Reed-Switch-Magnet-Interaction.html
« Last Edit: September 22, 2015, 03:16:27 PM by Kiwi_Roy »
17 V7III Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Moto Guzzi - making electricians out of riders since March 15 1921

Offline Dharma Bum

• Gaggle Mentor
Re: SpeedHut Redux - paging Kiwi Roy
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2015, 03:05:12 PM »
Thanks, Roy.  I'll be sure and keep you posted on my progress.

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here