Author Topic: EV tubeless rear wheel on CalVin?  (Read 925 times)

Offline wguntz

• New Egg
EV tubeless rear wheel on CalVin?
« on: June 24, 2020, 03:24:09 PM »
Greetings to the group!  I am hoping to replace the steel tubed wheels on my '09 California Vintage with tubeless Alloy Borannis from a '98 EV1100.  The front wheel was not a problem once the spacers were modified a bit.  The rear Boranni has the same hub width, and it fit on the rear axle using stock spacers.  Brake rotor lined up and everything!  Then I looked at the rear drive, and saw that there is a large (1 cm or so) gap between the outer edge of the rear drive and the outer edge of the Boranni hub.  Turns out the oem steel wheel has a extension around its edge which fills this gap in the stock configuation; the EV tubeless Boranni lacks the extra flange.   I don't see any direct mechanical problems with having this gap, but I does seem like it would expose the hub splines, etc to the elements and is not very pretty.

Has anyone solved this problem?  Any ideas would be much appreciated.

Thanks and Ride Safe!
Wayne

Offline rutgery

• Hatchling
  • The Netherlands
Re: EV tubeless rear wheel on CalVin?
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2020, 02:56:11 PM »
First off, Welcome to the forum!
Note that I really don't know anything about these newer models, but I do know that in the past, different flanges (red arrow in the picture) were installed in the rear drive. Because of this, fitting a cali 1100 drive on a T3 with it's original wheel left a gap between the hub and rear drive. Swapping the flanges over solved it. Is your rear wheel still in line with the bike?

If that's not the case, relacing the old hub on the new rims might be possible. This depends on the angles the spokes make.

« Last Edit: June 25, 2020, 02:57:23 PM by rutgery »
'82 Moto Guzzi G5
'89 V7 Sport replica from a Cali 3

Offline Kiwi Dave

• Gaggle Hero
    • Guzzi Gander Ltd
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2020, 03:41:55 PM »
I am hoping to replace the steel tubed wheels on my '09 California Vintage with tubeless Alloy Borannis from a '98 EV1100.

It's almost blasphemy!  Those Vintage wire wheels are moving artwork.  If it was me I'd stick with what I have, and just admire them.

Offline rtbickel

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2020, 03:46:06 PM »
I believe that the drive housing itself is narrower and the setup requires the housing from an EV or Bassa to eliminate the gap
2020 V85TT
2002 California Special Sport - The Black Widow
2014 California Touring - Stealth (Gone but not forgotten)

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2020, 03:46:06 PM »

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2020, 03:58:32 PM »
I have done a bunch of this. Steel wheel hub on the rear drive ring gear is longer. This requires you put a shorter one in the rear drive, check shimming and assemble.  #28 in rear drive parts for Cal Vintage.

You need PN# GU17351400     instead of PN# GU03351450
« Last Edit: June 25, 2020, 04:05:01 PM by guzzisteve »
"Pray through Carlo & your bike shall be healed"

Offline TN Mark

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2020, 04:02:57 PM »
EV tubeless wheels are one of the two best upgrades you can do to your CalVin. Steve gave you the answer and he would most definitely have the correct one.

The other best upgrade is to replace the windshield if the buffeting is bad for you.

Online kingoffleece

• SplitWeight(tm) seat covers
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Rated 5 STARS Motorcycle Consumer News
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2020, 05:40:37 PM »
I'm getting ready to swap to tuneless spoke wheels on my Jackal.  Anything I should know besides the obvious?
SplitWeight(tm) seat covers. A King of Fleece LLC product.

Offline dxhall

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2020, 06:49:16 PM »
I looked into this a while ago.  The part you need is $400+ from a dealer.  I ended up buying an EV rear drive complete for not much more than that.  I figure I’ll sell the other and recoup my costs.

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here