Author Topic: Selling my Norge.  (Read 5612 times)

56Pan

Selling my Norge.
« on: October 18, 2015, 09:58:13 AM »
It is with a heavy heart that I've decided to sell my '12 Norge.  Too much trouble with the clutchwork.  Just a 40 mile ride on backroads and I'm having serious pain at night in the left hand. Still plenty of grip strength, but the arthritis kicks in at night and hurts like a bitch. Two docs only remedy is steroid injections but that stuff is hard on your insides. I'm not having it.  Only 1568 miles and the nicest motorcycle I've ever had and I don't like losing it.  Took some pictures and I'll post it on the for sale stuff with this group first, as I'd sure like for it to go to a Guzzisti.  Put a Mistral muffler and Agostini Y pipe on it.  Got new Techno Research ECU cables to load maps, electronic Carbmate and Throttlemeister cruise control.  None of it ever installed or used. Took a valve cover off yesterday, and it's a roller lifter engine.  I think $9500 is a fair price, and I'm not backing off of that. Bought it as a new bike in Dec. '14 and the warranty will be good until Dec. '16.  If it doesn't sell, I'll just give to my oldest son who drools over it.

Offline johnr

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Selling my Norge.
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2015, 03:11:07 PM »
Modify/convert to hydraulic clutch? Possible?
New Zealand
2002 Ev tourer (Stalled again...)

Offline fatbob

• Gosling
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2015, 03:25:33 PM »
Modify/convert to hydraulic clutch? Possible?

It has a hydraulic clutch. Sounds to me like the man needs a GTS 300 or a Bergman. No shame in riding a fast scooter!
Bob Lower

'07 Norge
'01 K1200LT
'10 Thunderbird
'88 FLHS
'79 R100T
'03 R1150RT
'07 GTS 250

Offline johnr

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2015, 06:01:11 PM »
It has a hydraulic clutch. Sounds to me like the man needs a GTS 300 or a Bergman. No shame in riding a fast scooter!

Truenuff
But if he already has a hydraulic clutch I don't quite get why it would be a problem to up the ratio a bit, perhaps with a smaller bore master cylinder?

It might be worth looking into if he is otherwise totally happy with the bike.
New Zealand

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2015, 06:01:11 PM »

Online lucian

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2015, 06:24:26 PM »
Unfortunately with such low mileage the clutch springs are still full of piss and vinegar. It will definitely get better with some more use. Meanwhile maybe a physical therapist could help you with your arthritis and grip strength. Seems a shame to give up something you love before trying some possible solutions. Hope you find some relief from the pain, it does take the fun out of things.   I've always found that the right gloves can make a difference, tight fitting buck skin works for me. Also warm water and Epsom salt soaks work good for me when the hands act up. Also make sure the clutch lever pin is lubed and master cylinder is adjusted properly so your not working harder than you have to.   Best of luck.  dave

56Pan

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2015, 06:37:24 PM »
Unfortunately with such low mileage the clutch springs are still full of piss and vinegar. It will definitely get better with some more use. Meanwhile maybe a physical therapist could help you with your arthritis and grip strength. Seems a shame to give up something you love before trying some possible solutions. Hope you find some relief from the pain, it does take the fun out of things.   I've always found that the right gloves can make a difference, tight fitting buck skin works for me. Also warm water and Epsom salt soaks work good for me when the hands act up. Also make sure the clutch lever pin is lubed and master cylinder is adjusted properly so your not working harder than you have to.   Best of luck.  dave

Thanks for the advice, Lucian.  I've tried a couple of those already with little results.  Grip strength is fine, it's just the aftereffects.  I'll sell it and it will force me to get off my butt and put together an old HD that's been sitting in my garage disassembled with a fresh rebuilt engine.  It's a foot clutch/handshift and won't be a problem on the left hand.  Kicking it will give me a good workout too.  :whip2:

Online lucian

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2015, 06:53:24 PM »
Sounds like you might be trading a sore left hand for a sore right ankle.   :smiley: Seems like you have a worthy project, make sure you share some pic's with us. All the best,   Dave

Offline jas67

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2015, 07:13:47 PM »

There are several clutchless motorcycle options now too:

Aprilia Mana
Yamaha FJR1300A
Honda CTX1300 DCT
Honda CTX700 DCT
Honda NC700X DCT
Honda NM4 (hideous scooter like thing with feet forward on floor boards riding position that has the NC700X/CTX700 680cc parallel twin and DCT).

I actually rode the NM4 yesterday.    I helped run a dual sport ride out of one of the local BMW/Honda shops.   I'm friends with owner  who asked if I had ridden one yet.   I told him no.   He got the keys.   WTH, I'll ride anything with two wheels once, so, I tried it.

It wasn't bad.   The parallel twin has a 270 degree crank, so, it sounds and feels like a 90 degree V-twin.    The dual-clutch transmission works very well.    I like the sounds and feel a lot better than the CVTs that scooters have.
2017 V7III Special
1977 Le Mans
1974 Eldorado
2017 Triumph Thruxton R
2013 Ducati Monster 796, 2013 848 Evo Corse SE, 1974 750GT, 1970 Mk3d 450 Desmo, 1966 Monza 250
1975 Moto Morini 3 1/2
2007 Vespa GTS250
2016 BMW R1200RS, 80 R100S, 76 R90S ,73 R75/5
76 Honda CB400F, 67 305 Super Hawk, 68 CL175

Offline ohiorider

• Gaggle Hero
  • "You can't fight in here - this is the War Room."
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2015, 07:28:53 PM »
Or perhaps look at a new BMW.  The clutch pull on many of their new models is by far lighter than the clutch pull on my 1200 Sport.   I think the dealer mentioned that the BMW clutch compresses the plate with more pressure as rpm builds under load.  Maybe some sort of slipper clutch function?  And if you spring for the optional 'no-clutch required' feature for upshifts and downshifts, you'd probably eliminate much of the clutch work currently required.  Must admit, with 61k miles, clutch pull on the Sport doesn't require nearly the effort as when new.  The Griso was the one that really put my hand in a cramp.  Now, with the Griso sold, one of the things I'll look for in a replacement bike is a lighter clutch pull.  Damn this getting older stuff anyway!

Main ride:  2008 Guzzi 1200 Sport (sold July 2020)
2012 Griso 8v SE (sold Sept '15)
Reliable standby: 1991 BMW R100GS
2014 Honda CB1100 (Traded Nov 2019)
New:  2016 Triumph T120 (Traded Dec 2021)
New:  2021 Kawasaki W800

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2015, 07:43:20 PM »
There is a big difference between the effects of a steroid injection and a long-term steroid therapy.  The long term options have some nasty side effects.  The single-dose local injection has been described as "either curative or not."  For many it gives a world of relief.  For others, not so much.   But with the short duration and once-only dosage, the long term effects are nill.  BTDT both ways.  Personally I'd avoid long term use, but if a one-time blast knocks down the inflammation to the point that your body can manage it, why not?

56Pan

« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2015, 10:46:10 PM »
There is a big difference between the effects of a steroid injection and a long-term steroid therapy.  The long term options have some nasty side effects.  The single-dose local injection has been described as "either curative or not."  For many it gives a world of relief.  For others, not so much.   But with the short duration and once-only dosage, the long term effects are nill.  BTDT both ways.  Personally I'd avoid long term use, but if a one-time blast knocks down the inflammation to the point that your body can manage it, why not?

I've had two of them in my right shoulder already.  Worked for all of a week to 10 days, both times.  I'm tired of dealing with the hand pain, and ibuprofen hardly touches it. I've read up on the steroid injections, and want no more of them.  Just my .02 on the issue. Yeah, Ohiorider,"Damn this getting older stuff anyway!" I agree.  But beats the alternative.  It'll make somebody a good and reliable motorcycle, I believe.

canuguzzi

« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2015, 11:18:34 PM »
The choice between health and a particular motorcycle is easy. You've got a good bike and someone will pick it up. No bike is worth damage to your health and pain is damaging.

Your bike has rollers, that puts it ahead of many others even if they had the fix. Roll of the dice and you came out on top.

Hope things work out your way.

Offline JeffOlson

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2015, 02:22:25 AM »
I've ridden both a Norge and a Vespa GTS 300. I still have the Vespa. (The Norge sacrificed itself when I was rear-ended at high speed while stopped for a school bus.) The Vespa is very easy to ride and great fun! There is no shame in riding a great scooter.  :thumb:
2018 Vespa GTS 300
2016 Moto Guzzi Norge
2015 Vespa Sprint 150
2015 Vespa GTS 300

56Pan

« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2015, 04:31:36 AM »
I've ridden both a Norge and a Vespa GTS 300. I still have the Vespa. (The Norge sacrificed itself when I was rear-ended at high speed while stopped for a school bus.) The Vespa is very easy to ride and great fun! There is no shame in riding a great scooter.  :thumb:

Thanks, but no thanks, on the scooter.  Believe I'll put the old HD back together while I can still start it.

Offline johnr

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2015, 06:29:29 AM »
Thanks, but no thanks, on the scooter.  Believe I'll put the old HD back together while I can still start it.

What is the clutch like on it?
New Zealand

56Pan

« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2015, 09:31:32 AM »
What is the clutch like on it?

It's a foot clutch on the left side, John.  Handshift on the tank left.  Life will be good again if I get the timing/carb._exactly_right so it'll kickstart.  :thumb:

Offline johnr

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2015, 07:57:55 PM »
It's a foot clutch on the left side, John.  Handshift on the tank left.  Life will be good again if I get the timing/carb._exactly_right so it'll kickstart.  :thumb:

Sounds like fun  :wink:

Can it be future proofed? (which is to say, would it be possible to fit an electric start at some point?)
New Zealand

Offline MotoG5

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2015, 08:33:10 PM »
It is with a heavy heart that I've decided to sell my '12 Norge.  Too much trouble with the clutchwork.  Just a 40 mile ride on backroads and I'm having serious pain at night in the left hand. Still plenty of grip strength, but the arthritis kicks in at night and hurts like a bitch. Two docs only remedy is steroid injections but that stuff is hard on your insides. I'm not having it.
Just curious, what was the diagnosis on your hand? Several years ago I starting suffering extreme pain in my right hand when gripping tools and such. Not long after it started in my left and was really making clutch work on the bikes hard to handle. It turned out to be osteoarthritis of the hands. I was returned to full function through surgery on both hands that rebuilt the base thumb joints. Not fun to go through but the results were excellent. Your situation sounds different as there are several types of arthritis one can suffer. But I can sure relate to the kind of pain you are having to deal with. Good luck with the HD.

Nebraska MGNOC State Rep

56Pan

« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2015, 08:47:54 PM »
I know of one company that makes an electric start conversion kit at around $1500 total, John.  Yeah, Moto, osteoarthritis.  Bad.  And I'm right handed and can't figure why it's settled into my left hand? 

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here