Author Topic: Here We Go Again....charging issues G5  (Read 4398 times)

Offline Dan Beaman

• Gaggle Mentor
  • SW Iowa....no we don't grow potatoes here!
Here We Go Again....charging issues G5
« on: September 30, 2019, 07:11:52 PM »
Kiwi Roy's tag line is perfect!!!

Moto Guzzi - making electricians out of riders since 1921

I've been redoing my entire charging system on my '81 G5, replacing every wire end, replacing the rectifier, regulator and a used entire alternator. Still not charging fully. I found the used rotor was bad, but had another. It tests 3.4 ohms across the contacts so I'm satisfied. With the new regulator in, I have no idiot light on the dash for the alternator and I'm only testing 12.1 volts at the battery with engine running at 2,000 rpm. I out the old back in and the light functions, but the battery tests 11.9 volts. It should be 14.5.

Bad regulator? Rectifier? Something else? I'm really figuring regulator and I may have damaged it while redoing all this wiring.
MGNOC L797
'81 G5
'98 EV

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Here We Go Again....charging issues G5
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2019, 07:19:20 PM »
Your dash light needs to be working to "excite" the charging system.  No light.  No charge.
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Offline brider

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2019, 07:30:02 PM »
Your dash light needs to be working to "excite" the charging system.  No light.  No charge.

Yep, LITERALLY just went thru this on my Cal 2, which has the exact same system as your G5 (I think).

Simple circuit from the rectifier DF rectifier D+ post to the BATT bulb, it turned out my BULB WAS BAD, last thing I'd suspect, but it was.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2019, 10:05:30 AM by brider »
'85 Cal II Auto
'71 Ambo project
'02 GasGas EC300
'07 Norge
Wish'd I'd never sold:
'72 Red Eldo
'74 White Eldo LAPD
'77 Convert with DB bags
'06 Gas Gas EC300
'86 LM IV

Offline Dan Beaman

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2019, 07:31:11 PM »

Then how was it on with one regulator and not the other? How does this correlate?

I have more bulbs so an easy test!!
« Last Edit: September 30, 2019, 07:41:44 PM by Dan Beaman »
MGNOC L797
'81 G5
'98 EV

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2019, 07:31:11 PM »

Offline injundave

• Gosling
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2019, 07:44:56 PM »
Do yourself a favour and check out one of these. Best bucks I ever spent on my T3.

https://www.euromotoelectrics.com/product-p/edl450-altkit105.htm
1975 850 T3
1980 V50 (Now belongs to my daughter)
2019 V85TT

Offline Dan Beaman

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2019, 08:19:13 PM »
 I love that idea but more $ than I have any business doing right now!!
MGNOC L797
'81 G5
'98 EV

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2019, 09:11:05 PM »
Then how was it on with one regulator and not the other? How does this correlate?

I have more bulbs so an easy test!!

Did it stop working with the new regulator?  The bulb would be the weak link.  :sad:  For some reason, I'm thinking that you'd need to flash the rotor.  Someone can tell me if I'm wrong.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2019, 09:15:43 PM by Tom »
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Offline Dan Beaman

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2019, 09:56:36 PM »
Ok....you all had me going so I just went back to my shed. With the new regulator in, the bulb is out. When I put the old one back in, the light is on! Not a bad bulb.

The new one gives me more voltage but not enough. So we've eliminated the bulb issue.

I'm leaning to something fried in my new regulator. 

Thoughts???
MGNOC L797
'81 G5
'98 EV

Offline Dan Beaman

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2019, 07:10:04 AM »
Did it stop working with the new regulator?  The bulb would be the weak link.

Yes that's exactly what happens!! The bulb is ONLY out with the new regulator.
MGNOC L797
'81 G5
'98 EV

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2019, 07:44:05 AM »
I've never heard of this one.. It's probably KR time.  :smiley:
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline Groover

• Gaggle Hero
  • If it ain't broke, I'll break it.
    • Scooteropolis
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2019, 08:50:01 AM »
I'd quadruple check the wiring. Sit back, take a look, take a break, take another look, repeat.

Here is a chart that may help. It's very simplified and doesn't show things such as grounds and bypasses all harness connectors and such, but it should help clarify I hope.

1981 Moto Guzzi V1000G5
1987 Moto Guzzi LM1000SE, a
1987 Moto Guzzi LM1000SE, b
1980 Piaggio Vespa P200E
1980 Piaggio Vespa P125X
1980 Vespa Grande Moped
1980 Vespa SI Moped
http://scooteropolis.com/

Offline brider

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2019, 09:55:34 AM »
I'd quadruple check the wiring. Sit back, take a look, take a break, take another look, repeat.

Here is a chart that may help. It's very simplified and doesn't show things such as grounds and bypasses all harness connectors and such, but it should help clarify I hope.

Groover, as helpful as I found your diagram in the past, it is in conflict at the 61 and D+ post versus Bender's website:

http://www.thisoldtractor.com/moto_guzzi_tonti_wiring_harness_install_rectifier_-diode_board-_connections.html
'85 Cal II Auto
'71 Ambo project
'02 GasGas EC300
'07 Norge
Wish'd I'd never sold:
'72 Red Eldo
'74 White Eldo LAPD
'77 Convert with DB bags
'06 Gas Gas EC300
'86 LM IV

Offline Groover

• Gaggle Hero
    • Scooteropolis
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2019, 10:21:40 AM »
Groover, as helpful as I found your diagram in the past, it is in conflict at the 61 and D+ post versus Bender's website:

http://www.thisoldtractor.com/moto_guzzi_tonti_wiring_harness_install_rectifier_-diode_board-_connections.html

Thanks right, you did mention that to me once before. I need to dig into this again to confirm.
1981 Moto Guzzi V1000G5
1980 Piaggio Vespa P200E
1980 Piaggio Vespa P125X
1980 Vespa Grande Moped
1980 Vespa SI Moped

Offline Groover

• Gaggle Hero
    • Scooteropolis
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2019, 10:40:50 AM »
Maybe those two terminals are interchangeable, not sure. I wish I could remember whom gave me this hand sketch I'm posting now when I first started messing around with my G5 in 2014. It was someone from here, but I was new here and don't remember whom sent it to me and I can't find any emails or PM, so it may have been text... anyway, based on this granular diagram, it appears those two spades could be merged or swapped??

Hopefully something (Kiwi Roy  :wink:) can chime in to clarify.

1981 Moto Guzzi V1000G5
1980 Piaggio Vespa P200E
1980 Piaggio Vespa P125X
1980 Vespa Grande Moped
1980 Vespa SI Moped

Offline Dan Beaman

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2019, 02:16:58 PM »
Your diagram was very helpful. I had 2 wires on the alternator in the wrong places, the black and the blue. The rectifier I had correct. Now I still have no charge....11.9 volts at 2,000 rpm. Now it’s the same no matter if it’s old or new regulator and the idiot line is on with both so not a bulb problem. Rotor still tests at 3.9 ohms or there abouts. So stator is good, rotor is good, wires are good. In my mind that leaves either the regulator or the rectifier As bad
MGNOC L797
'81 G5
'98 EV

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2019, 02:31:17 PM »
Ok, now we're getting somewhere. Pull the three yellow wires off the alternator, start it up, and check voltage directly out of the alternator. It should be close to 40 volts AC between the three posts. 1-2, 1-3. 2-3. They should be very nearly the same. If they are, *then* you can say the stator, rotor, brushes, etc. are ok and look elsewhere.
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline Groover

• Gaggle Hero
    • Scooteropolis
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2019, 02:46:46 PM »
And then after you do that, then try flip-flopping the D+ and the 61 from the rectifier as brider pointed out.

I think if you had a bad regulator, the voltage would fluctuate a lot with changes in throttle (hence regulating). So maybe the diode board, be sure it's grounded properly.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2019, 02:47:16 PM by Groover »
1981 Moto Guzzi V1000G5
1980 Piaggio Vespa P200E
1980 Piaggio Vespa P125X
1980 Vespa Grande Moped
1980 Vespa SI Moped

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2019, 12:40:09 AM »
Ok....you all had me going so I just went back to my shed. With the new regulator in, the bulb is out. When I put the old one back in, the light is on! Not a bad bulb.

The new one gives me more voltage but not enough. So we've eliminated the bulb issue.

I'm leaning to something fried in my new regulator. 

Thoughts???
You don't say if the motor is spinning when the light is out.
It must light with the key on but not spinning the current from the lamp is running through the rotor, if its off its not conducting from D+ to DF and therefore not getting excited.
If the light is out with the motor idling that's ok
Terminal D- must be grounded to turn the regulator On. Brider's diagram shows battery negative on D-, the negative is grounded by the main ground and it's also grounded by the brush in the alternator.
The light should go out with the motor spinning because the 3 small diodes connected to terminal D+/61 drive the Voltage up until there is no difference in Voltage across the lamp.
The rectifier terminals 61 and D+ are connected together.
D+/61 cannot go higher than the battery Voltage because the large main diodes have the same Voltage bias as the 3 small diodes.

This California II schematic shows the Bosch system quite clearly.
http://www.thisoldtractor.com/guzzi007/schematics/1981_California_II.gif
« Last Edit: October 02, 2019, 01:13:49 AM by Kiwi_Roy »
17 V7III Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Moto Guzzi - making electricians out of riders since March 15 1921

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2019, 11:03:10 AM »
Maybe those two terminals are interchangeable, not sure. I wish I could remember whom gave me this hand sketch I'm posting now when I first started messing around with my G5 in 2014. It was someone from here, but I was new here and don't remember whom sent it to me and I can't find any emails or PM, so it may have been text... anyway, based on this granular diagram, it appears those two spades could be merged or swapped??

Hopefully something (Kiwi Roy  :wink:) can chime in to clarify.
That looks like some of my chicken scratching

If you combine it with the drawing Groover provided you get the whole picture.

When you turn the key On (motor not running) the current from the charge light travels to 61 then from D+ to the regulator D+, through the transistors and out the DF terminal to the slipring brush of the alternator, through the rotor and to the grounded brush and back to the battery Negative,
So if you have an ammeter you can measure that current by pulling a wire off and inserting your meter in series. You can also measure the Voltage at the alternator field DF, I forget what it is but I'm guessing less than half a Volt. You will get a Voltage also at either of the D+ terminals. it will be a bit higher i'm guessing 0.5 to 1 Volt.

This initial current provides a weak field for the alternator, as it starts spinning this induces a weak AC current into the stator windings. U, V & W
From U, V W the three small diodes rectify the AC and push the Voltage at 61/D+ Positive which provides more current to the regulator and rotor field until soon the Voltage is so high on 61/D+ it's higher than the 12 Volts going into the charge lamp so it goes out.
At the same time the Voltage on the Positive rail of the main rectifier is higher than the battery so it charges the battery.

If you look at the diodes between UVW & 61/D+ it's the same arrangement as between UVW & the Positive rail, so since the diodes all drop around the same forward Voltage it stands to reason 61/D+ is the same Voltage as the Positive rail which is connected to battery Positive, that's how the regulator knows when to cut back on the excitation Voltage to the rotor, the transistors cut back on the current they pass.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2019, 12:00:34 PM by Kiwi_Roy »
17 V7III Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Offline Dan Beaman

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2019, 12:46:27 PM »
So Roy, I've not done all that testing yet, but I have exactly zero volts coming out of the 3 yellows on the alternator with all running. The rectifier wires are all correctly placed. I pulled the covers and battery out to check that. The stator shows no open circuits and the rotor tests 3.4 ohms. Is there a test just for the rectifier? I'm beginning to think that between the front and back of the bike, I just plain have an open circuit from a bad wire someplace.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2019, 12:54:01 PM by Dan Beaman »
MGNOC L797
'81 G5
'98 EV

Offline Groover

• Gaggle Hero
    • Scooteropolis
« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2019, 01:29:18 PM »
When I was losing my mind like this, I literally made test wires to bypass everything, then started working my way back. Using the color chart posted above, you can easily accomplish that with any wires you have laying around. Doing that, you eliminate harnesses throughout the bike and other craziness(es) that happen under the dash to get to the little bulb. Other than that, the 0 volts you get where Chuck in Indiana says those should read 40v, then maybe there is an issue with the alternator? Don't know, my advice is that; Just get some spade connectors at radio shack or walmart, and make some temporary wire connections to the main components.
1981 Moto Guzzi V1000G5
1980 Piaggio Vespa P200E
1980 Piaggio Vespa P125X
1980 Vespa Grande Moped
1980 Vespa SI Moped

Offline Groover

• Gaggle Hero
    • Scooteropolis
« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2019, 01:37:34 PM »
That looks like some of my chicken scratching

Ah, who else would it have been! Thanks again for that, it really helped me understand a lot at the time. Sorry I couldn't remember whom sent it, but now I won't forget!
1981 Moto Guzzi V1000G5
1980 Piaggio Vespa P200E
1980 Piaggio Vespa P125X
1980 Vespa Grande Moped
1980 Vespa SI Moped

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2019, 01:54:19 PM »
So Roy, I've not done all that testing yet, but I have exactly zero volts coming out of the 3 yellows on the alternator with all running. The rectifier wires are all correctly placed. I pulled the covers and battery out to check that. The stator shows no open circuits and the rotor tests 3.4 ohms. Is there a test just for the rectifier? I'm beginning to think that between the front and back of the bike, I just plain have an open circuit from a bad wire someplace.
It seems to be the new regulator you are having trouble with the charge light current should go through that and out to the rotor take a measurement of the current or Voltage. If you have no current through the rotor the 3 yellow wires won't have any Voltage on them.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2019, 01:57:27 PM by Kiwi_Roy »
17 V7III Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Offline Dan Beaman

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2019, 05:25:44 PM »
So how both at the D+  and 61 connections on the rectifier,  there are  in the vicinity of11.4 volts. I checked continuity on the Y wire from the rectifier to the alternator. Good. There are only .1 volts there with the switch on. With the regulator plugged in, there are 10.5 volts to the DF plug on the alternator. That appears to me to leave only the ground side of the brushes/alternator as a potential issue.
MGNOC L797
'81 G5
'98 EV

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #24 on: October 02, 2019, 05:46:42 PM »
10.5 is too high on DF when the motor is not spinning, tells me either the rotor is open or the negative brush is not grounded or not making contact with the slip-ring.

The charge light pull 1.2 Watts, that's just 100 milliamps (0.1 Amps)
0,1 Amps across 3.5 Ohms = 0.34 Volts is all you should see at DF

With the key turned On and the negative probe of the meter grounded touch the positive probe on first one slip-ring then the other.
You should get a little Voltage on DF but zero on the other.

That Y connection is not really necessary it's not used on a classic 3 phase alternator.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2019, 06:12:01 PM by Kiwi_Roy »
17 V7III Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Offline Dan Beaman

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #25 on: October 02, 2019, 05:55:34 PM »
I think, Roy,  you're verifying my suspicions with the ground....... It's really the only thing left. I'm going to follow Grover's advice and use a jump wire. 
MGNOC L797
'81 G5
'98 EV

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #26 on: October 02, 2019, 06:17:44 PM »
I think, Roy,  you're verifying my suspicions with the ground....... It's really the only thing left. I'm going to follow Grover's advice and use a jump wire.
You can add an extra ground at the alternator and also one at the regulator
Don't forget the rectifier needs a good ground as well, all of the charge current has to get back to the alternator yellow wires right there, strap it to a motor bolt.

PM sent.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2019, 06:21:30 PM by Kiwi_Roy »
17 V7III Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Offline Furbo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #27 on: October 03, 2019, 09:23:06 PM »
Do yourself a favour and check out one of these. Best bucks I ever spent on my T3.

https://www.euromotoelectrics.com/product-p/edl450-altkit105.htm

Sorry mate, but this is just grand advise. If you've not got $500 to spend on a 40yr old motorbike, you've no business owning it. sell it and buy an old Honda Dominator.
Killeen, TX
'96 Sport 1100
'72 N. Falcone
'72 Eldo

Eccl 9:9,10

Offline Dan Beaman

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #28 on: October 04, 2019, 06:35:20 PM »
I'm now officially at a total loss. I jumped both grounds, the alternator and the regulator. No change. I tested continuity on all the rectifier wires, the stator and the rotor. You can read above everything else. Not charging.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2019, 06:37:46 PM by Dan Beaman »
MGNOC L797
'81 G5
'98 EV

Offline Groover

• Gaggle Hero
    • Scooteropolis
« Reply #29 on: October 04, 2019, 07:28:48 PM »
Did you wire the little bulb properly?
1981 Moto Guzzi V1000G5
1980 Piaggio Vespa P200E
1980 Piaggio Vespa P125X
1980 Vespa Grande Moped
1980 Vespa SI Moped

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here