Author Topic: Wildlife is comin in!  (Read 3174 times)

pete roper

Re: Wildlife is comin in!
« Reply #30 on: October 04, 2019, 08:54:32 PM »
I don't think the Magpies would kill a lizard but it's a possibility. They don't like them because like snakes they will eat eggs. Unlike snakes they are rotten climbers though so nestlings are usually safe from lizards.

Magpies, apart, oddly, those from Tasmania, will swoop during the breeding season as they are fiercely territorial around their nests. It is not uncommon at this time of year to be riding your motorcycle down a suburban street and suddenly you get whacked on the back of the helmet by a swooping Maggie! Cyclists adorn their helmets with cable ties to defend themselves which is why you may of seen slightly puzzling pictures of Australian Lycra Louts with headgear that looks like a porcupine! They, (Magpies, not Lycra Louts.) have been known to peck people's eyes out but this is very rare.

We have a family that have lived in the big Cyprus Pine at the back of our place for years, (Individuals can live to be 25-28 years old!) and we never have any problems because we are friends of Magpie-kind and feed them kitchen scraps and cat food, (Not a lot as it isn't good for them and stops them foraging because like every other creature they are as lazy f*@&.) so they think we're wonderful :grin: They have a wonderful warbling song that is a joy to listen to so we thoroughly enjoy having them around.

The Currawongs!? Now they're just plain nasty!

Pete
« Last Edit: October 04, 2019, 08:59:51 PM by pete roper »

Offline SmithSwede

• Gaggle Hero
  • I don't want a pickle
« Reply #31 on: October 04, 2019, 09:40:16 PM »
Wow, that’s a pretty bird.  I bet they are smart. 

Does it really work if you wear sunglasses on the back of your head to trick them into not pecking out your real eyes?
Accentuate the positive;
Eliminate the negative;
Latch on to the affirmative;
Don't mess with Mister In-Between.

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #32 on: October 04, 2019, 10:00:33 PM »
OK, so we know there is at least one bird in Australia that won't kill you?  I should've asked about the lizard.

Those Aussies are tough.  I wouldn't get out of the house in fear that some wild creature wouldn't eat me or kill me for sport.   :sad:
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

pete roper

« Reply #33 on: October 04, 2019, 11:09:22 PM »
Wow, that’s a pretty bird.  I bet they are smart. 

Does it really work if you wear sunglasses on the back of your head to trick them into not pecking out your real eyes?

They're smart, but not 'Crow' smart. Unlike European Magpies they are not members of the Corvidae family, they're actually a relative of the Butcher Bird, (From memory, I'll ask my daughter she'll know :rolleyes:). The 'Fake eyes' trick won't work with swooping Magpies because it's your eyes they're going for but it does work with a lot of predators. It's apparently very effective with Tigers! Mind you Tigers are cats so they aren't particularly bright. You don't really have to be very bright when you're an apex predator!

Jon, I don't know why people think our wildlife is dangerous? It's not like America where you have Bears and Cougars and stuff that actively want to eat you! Apart from Crocs up north and Sharks in the ocean there isn't much here that will try and eat you. Even the Sharks will generally leave you alone unless you dress up as a seal, go into their environment where they are the biggest, baddest mo-fo's on the block and thrash about like a wounded penguin!

Most of our 'Dangerous' animals will simply, casually, kill you if you frighten them by mistake. It's not like they do it with any malice! :evil:

Pete

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: October 04, 2019, 11:09:22 PM »

Offline nc43bsa

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #34 on: October 05, 2019, 02:13:40 AM »
Can a box jellyfish have malice?    :evil:
1990 MilleGT

Offline SmithSwede

• Gaggle Hero
  • I don't want a pickle
« Reply #35 on: October 05, 2019, 10:44:08 AM »
I never knew about this.   Fascinating.  More info. 

https://www.core77.com/posts/69872/DIY-Anti-Magpie-Attack-Bicycle-Helmet-Designs
Accentuate the positive;
Eliminate the negative;
Latch on to the affirmative;
Don't mess with Mister In-Between.

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here