Author Topic: NGC. No more big box stores for me!  (Read 3933 times)

bobrebos

NGC. No more big box stores for me!
« on: October 03, 2019, 12:28:26 PM »
So I bought a weber gas grill from Lowes in Cleveland Tn on Monday September 30 2019, because our 10 year old one basically rusted out. They would not sell me the floor model and said they had to put one from the back together for me and it would be ready for pick-up on Wednesday I of course had to pay for the grill that day (Monday). So Wednesday I drive into town, go to Lowes, and they basically don't know what Im talking about and cant find the grill anywhere. Then the Customer Service person told me they would get one put together and for me to call in today, to make sure its ready and I can pick it up. So today (Thursday) I called in and got a different person of course who checked all over and said he cant find any grill with that item number or my name on it anywhere. He then said he would leave a note for the assembly person to make sure it gets put together tonight for tomorrow (Friday) pick-up.
Im getting close to just asking for my money back and going to some mom and pop owned hardware store and buy one. These big box stores are not impressing me at all, and the stupid thing wasn't cheap either! Geez! Rant over. Thank You    :angry:

Offline wrbix

• Gaggle Hero
Re: NGC. No more big box stores for me!
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2019, 12:35:42 PM »
Sounds like the sort of service I get from Home Depot.....been luckier at Lowes, so far.
But yeah, Mom n Pop or Amazon getting to be my retailers of choice.
Bill in VA, sometimes FL

"Eschew aphorism"

LeMans IV - "Giulia"
Lario - "Giulietta"
V50III cafe'd - "Leggera"
‘77 Convert - “Sofia”
BMW airheads: R100RS, R100CS, R100GS, R100RT, R60/2 sidecar rig
Classic Mini
‘60 Austin Healey Sprite
Caterham Super Seven Sprint
‘13 Audi TTRS
Grumman AA5B (sold)

Online kballowe

• - Kevin the Great -
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2019, 12:37:38 PM »
We ordered a refrigerator, stove, microwave, kitchen cabinets, etc from Lowe's and paid for it all.

The evening before the delivery of the appliances, we got a call telling us that there would be a delay, and would I like to "come pick out something else".  They started with a week delay and every time I told them that I'd wait, they added another two weeks to it.   They finally came clean and admitted that they didn't have any of the models that I had paid for.  The cabinet purchase went mostly the same way.

Found a local Mom & Pop place and they delivered it all inside of a week.  I was surprised to discover that their pricing wasn't all that different.  Amazing they didn't mark everything up to then mark it all back down.   

:thumb:
« Last Edit: October 03, 2019, 12:38:34 PM by kballowe »

bobrebos

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2019, 12:50:35 PM »
We ordered a refrigerator, stove, microwave, kitchen cabinets, etc from Lowe's and paid for it all.

The evening before the delivery of the appliances, we got a call telling us that there would be a delay, and would I like to "come pick out something else".  They started with a week delay and every time I told them that I'd wait, they added another two weeks to it.   They finally came clean and admitted that they didn't have any of the models that I had paid for.  The cabinet purchase went mostly the same way.

Found a local Mom & Pop place and they delivered it all inside of a week.  I was surprised to discover that their pricing wasn't all that different.  Amazing they didn't mark everything up to then mark it all back down.   

:thumb:

Yep, Ive had enough.  Mom and Pop shops will get my business from now on. 

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2019, 12:50:35 PM »

Offline Idontwantapickle

• Gaggle Hero
  • The rotation of the earth really makes my day.
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2019, 12:52:20 PM »
I'd have gotten the refund at the first failure and headed to Ace hardware.
There is no end to what we can do together.
Sir James Paul McCartney

AMA Charter Life Member

72 Eldo
85 LeMans 1000 Loud, Fast and Red
2007 Norge rivestimento di argento
84 BMW R100RS

Online Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2019, 12:57:50 PM »
And while you're at it. GET THE HELL OFF MY LAWN!!!    :grin: :grin: :grin:
ебать Россию!   Not anti social-pro solitude

bobrebos

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2019, 01:03:33 PM »
And while you're at it. GET THE HELL OFF MY LAWN!!!    :grin: :grin: :grin:

Yeah THAT TOO!

Offline Rick in WNY

• Gosling
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2019, 01:19:04 PM »
All sounds far too familiar...

I made up my mind several years ago to patronize my local businesses over the big places.

Guess what? Prices aren't enough different to notice, service is so much better, the drive to and from is shorter, and the local places deliver the same day if I order before noon, the next day if after.
Guzzi Owner since May 20, 2017
  2004 California Titanium

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2019, 01:21:34 PM »
I've noticed, as the big box stores have opened in this area, including Lowe's, Home Depot, and the-store-that-shall-not-be-named, all follow the same pattern.

The first few months after they open, there are helpers in every aisle, the place is clean and organized, and when you order something, it happens quickly and correctly.

But as time passes, there are fewer and fewer people in the store to help, the ones that are there often have no clue what they are doing, and to get into the front door, you have to pass employees and customers lounging around smoking cigarettes and tossing the butts on the sidewalk, which just stay there.

It's not a good shopping experience.   And the prices (especially on appliances) really aren't that much better than the local shops, which the customers are all throwing under the bus to get a "bargain".   The quality of the management (at every level) drives the performance of the store.   Some are rotting from the top, some from within the store ....

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline Texas Turnip

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2019, 01:44:11 PM »
The heating element went out on my Frigidaire oven that Lowe's sells. I go to the store to get one and they don't stock, they can order and I'll get it in two days. I call a cycle friend that used to run an appliance parts store. He had it for me in two hours and I could get the bread in the oven.

I used to go to a hardware store in the small town of Hawkins. The owner and his wife could always help me. They tried to sell as they got tired of working 6 days a week. He said I can't buy a dozen pitchforks at once to get the low price. What a shame as he said he could go to Lowe's and buy one cheaper than his supplier could sell him one.

Tex

Offline screamday

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2019, 01:44:28 PM »
So I bought a weber gas grill from Lowes in Cleveland Tn on Monday September 30 2019, because our 10 year old one basically rusted out. They would not sell me the floor model and said they had to put one from the back together for me and it would be ready for pick-up on Wednesday I of course had to pay for the grill that day (Monday). So Wednesday I drive into town, go to Lowes, and they basically don't know what Im talking about and cant find the grill anywhere. Then the Customer Service person told me they would get one put together and for me to call in today, to make sure its ready and I can pick it up. So today (Thursday) I called in and got a different person of course who checked all over and said he cant find any grill with that item number or my name on it anywhere. He then said he would leave a note for the assembly person to make sure it gets put together tonight for tomorrow (Friday) pick-up.
Im getting close to just asking for my money back and going to some mom and pop owned hardware store and buy one. These big box stores are not impressing me at all, and the stupid thing wasn't cheap either! Geez! Rant over. Thank You    :angry:

Why did they have to "Put it together" for you? Would they not just sell you a grill in a box for you to assemble? (I assuming you did not specifically ask them to assemble the grill.) I would not trust anyone is those store to assemble anything for me.
Tony in SC
"Comfort the disturbed and Disturb the comfortable"
1988 R100RS
1998 V11 EV

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • vee git tooh soon oldt und too late wise -my Dad
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2019, 01:45:24 PM »
I like to call my bank and stop payment, that way you get more people involved and maybe a record that goes up the chain? Plus I don’t have to go back in person to cancel the order. But yeah I’m supporting my local hardware store when ever I can.
MINNEAPOLIS, MN

bobrebos

« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2019, 01:53:48 PM »
Why did they have to "Put it together" for you? Would they not just sell you a grill in a box for you to assemble? (I assuming you did not specifically ask them to assemble the grill.) I would not trust anyone is those store to assemble anything for me.

They refused to sell me the on floor one.  They said their practice at this particular lowes is to put one together for the customer and have the customer then pick it up. Originally it was two days.  Now it will be 5 if its ready at all.  Or il get my money back and go to the local hardware store. 

Online Gliderjohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2019, 02:00:30 PM »
There is a small local Sears franchise near me, so in a way that could be considered a Mom & Pop store. Bought a new fridge and then had delivery problems from hell. False  dates and/or times. They completely dumped it over in the truck during the the first delivery attempt from not having it secured and still pressured us to accept it, saying they would replace the damaged parts (didn't go for that). It is not the big ones only.
GliderJohn
John Peters
East Mountains, NM

Offline John Ulrich

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2019, 02:17:53 PM »
The big names like Weber usually have a minimum advertised price (MAP) a retailer is allowed to sell it for.   We bought our last Weber at an Ace store who delivered it and set it up for the same price as others. 
Eagan, MN & Scottsdale, AZ
MN MGNOC Rep  L#800

Offline Motormike

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2019, 02:50:23 PM »
Finishing the small apartment above my "man cave."  The wife and I decided to use Home Depot for the granite counter top in the small kitchen. What a headache. The first time the installer shows up with the slab, the cut-outs for the cook top were cut the wrong direction!  Don't even take it off the truck, send it back, try again.  The second time, the cut-outs were correct but the back-splash sections were broken in half!! Alright, one more time.  The third time was a charm and they got everything installed.  Still it took way too long for such a small, simple counter top. 

Offline BubaDragon

• New Egg
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2019, 03:28:37 PM »
Go to Ace and buy a "Big Green Egg". Yes you will spend about 1K but you will will it to your great grandchildren.

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2019, 07:38:23 PM »
Go to Ace and buy a "Big Green Egg". Yes you will spend about 1K but you will will it to your great grandchildren.

Those have always been tempting, but I can never bring myself to pull the trigger on the price.

I've quit buying the sub-$1000 gas grills (Weber, Char-Broil, etc) that you find at Ace and Home Depot; they just rust out and burn up too soon.

My outdoor kitchen now has cheap-and-cheerful cookers that work great for me.   

I have a square Aussie charcoal grill with a OneGrill electric rotisserie kit on it; the grill has lasted for years and I just replace the charcoal pans every 3 years or so.

A Lodge 410 iron hibachi; pretty solid piece of work, been working many years now.

An "Old South" electric smoker.   Sprinkle in the chips, fill the reservoir with water, turn it on, and forget it for 10 hours or whatever.   Some wonderful miracles come out of that.

A simple gas burner with a wok and a Dutch oven (for deep frying).

A small "Cool Daddy" deep fryer.

And there's nothing I can't cook outside now!  It's all under cover, so 3 seasons every other day, and when weather permits in winter.

Lannis

Offline Ryan

• Gosling
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2019, 08:49:41 PM »
It is 42 miles to my nearest Home Depot, 65 to the nearest Lowes. 18 to Ace and my local lumber yard. There are times when Ace is even cheaper than the others. If there is a huge price difference, I'll do Amazon, but I like keeping the money in my community whenever possible. The lumber yard is quite a bit more. I will grab a few studs there to save time, but when I am buyimg for a project of any size, I make the trek to HD. Service is better at Ace than anywhere else. I have an inexpensive grill, stainless. I replaced the firepan with a hand-hammered aluminum one when the old one rusted out, and replaced the grills with stainless. I am in this thing less than $250 and it is going on 7 years now. Clean, cover, good to last.

Offline Kent in Upstate NY

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2019, 08:57:34 PM »
I have rarely had a problem with big box stores. The only major issue I had was when I ordered a John Deere lawn tractor from a dealer in Amsterdam, NY to be delivered to my new home in Granville, NY. I didn't know that there was an 80 mile difference and the Lowes in Amsterdam was initially reluctant to deliver. After some back and forth and finding out the nearest Lowes to me didn't have the tractor, they delivered it. I once went to a Sears to get a fridge and the sales lady apologized that the earliest it could be delivered was the next day.
Correctional educators don't make the criminals you fear. We make the criminals you fear smarter.

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2019, 11:36:31 PM »
I've been a big fan of Ace for years, particular for purchasing fasteners, nuts and bolts.  It's convenient and you can get in and out.

But I gotta tell ya, the prices in Ace are just going off the charts.  I am not talking sales items but that nickel and dime stuff that is so convenient is now $5 and $10.  Everytime I go in there, everything I look has for gone up double from the last time I was there.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2019, 11:37:15 PM by LowRyter »
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline Litre1000

• Hatchling
« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2019, 05:54:13 AM »
The local Guzzi dealer is a big-box store. I test rode a Griso that showed 500 miles on the clock. The sales person said it had an oil leak and had to be inspected before anybody could ride it. I checked the oil level and it was grossly overfilled. They responded with disgust and said things to each other like they’ve seen this before from their staff. 3 minutes into the test ride a cylinder dropped- out, then occasionally start running again, only to drop- out and continue misfiring. Did the chaperone turn around and head back to the store at my request? NO! She continued the test drive! And me on a Guzzi with only one cylinder running!  When we got back to the store she asked me, what do you think? And I said I have no interest in purchasing a bike that runs on only one cylinder. She said it was probably because the engine was overfilled with oil. And then I told her that I don’t believe the bike has only 500 miles on it considering how weathered and faded the exhaust system was. I told her the weathering on the hubs,  the spokes ,the rims, etc., show to me  the bike has way more miles on it than the 500 showing on the odometer.  She commented that she thought the guy just didn’t take very good care of the bike. And asked me again if I was interested in buying it. I said, why would I buy a bike that wasn’t taken good care of. The bike was only three years old! No more big-box stores for me!

Offline Sheepdog

• Gaggle Hero
  • 2007 Moto Guzzi California Vintage
« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2019, 08:47:41 AM »
In our community there are a bunch of really good retailers. Grocers, feed stores, hardware stores; most are really better in every way.. As you might imagine, Walmart/Sams/Home Depot and their ilk can't match the local stores for easy access to locally popular items. Even our small Latino and Asian markets easily out-do the big-box outfits. Add the fact that you are supporting your community and reducing your carbon imprint and I'm surprised the big stores stay around.
"Change is inevitable. Growth is optional." John C. Maxwell

Offline trippah

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2019, 10:59:50 AM »
Yeah, $9.00 and change for a brass elbow to reroute a water supply line under a vanity.  Ace, but the service and help was great. I think I may have spotted a skeleton in the plumbing isle at the local Home Depot ooops. it 's a Halloween thingy. :rolleyes:

Offline s1120

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2019, 08:18:58 AM »
You know, I hate to judge them all the same.. Ive been to some HD, and Lowes, that were just. Miserable..but others that were staffed with great, friendly, and helpful people...  That being said... the new business model by them, AND the little guys, really kinda sucks for the old school "lets fix odds, and ends around the house on our day off". because frankly you just cant FIND the small odd stuff anywhere...  unless you order on line..  What is cool...  but that doesn't help when your in the middle of a repair...  But maybe im just that old guy yelling to keep off his lawn, and missing the old days, and how they were.... 
Paul B

Offline John Croucher

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2019, 08:48:21 AM »
Obviously you experienced the lack of communication such a place has. I have worked in these types of places as  contract vendor.  Assembling grills, bicycles, resetting displays.  The People working in these place either care or do not care.  I would have grabbed one of the flat roll around carts after paying for the grill, walked up to the display and then to the Contractors check out area.  Showed the Clerk the paid receipt and walked out the door.  No one would have noticed any difference.  It is not until you show the employees the mistakes they make that they pay any attention to Their jobs. 

These places are so big, one worker in one isle has no idea what is going on in the next.  They do have security people.  They are looking for theft.  You usually would not notice who the security is because they push carts around and look like shoppers.  If you visit the store regularly and see the same person/persons each visit or spend several hours like I have working, you will figure out who security is. 

We have a Mennards, Lowes and Home Depot withing a mile of each other.  I chose Home Depot as My go to store.  I have developed a relationship with the employees and We know each other.  It has paid great dividends.  I have gotten discounts, phone calls, help loading truck, advise on projects and much more.  Shopping prices between the three is not worth the time it takes. 

My goal, retire, live in a condo, not own any tools or visit a home repair store.  Just a dream though.

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #26 on: October 05, 2019, 09:12:47 AM »
But maybe im just that old guy yelling to keep off his lawn, and missing the old days, and how they were....

No you're not.   You just have enough experience now to act on what you know, or on "the balance of probability", and not to say "Well, I've noticed that 90% of them are like this, so I guess I can't just tar them all with the same brush, I have to assume that what I see MIGHT not be true for one somewhere ..." and therefore keep whacking yourself over the head.

At some point, you're old enough to say "I've SEEN this situation before, I know what's going to happen and I'm going to avoid it this time ....".

Sometimes it's called "The Crime of Noticing" and ascribed to old age or something, but nahhhh ....

Lannis

Rough Edge racing

« Reply #27 on: October 05, 2019, 09:28:08 AM »
 I have a military veterans discount card from Lowes, 10% off on most anything except what's currently on sale...I really had no problems with them other than what you might expect from a large chain...There are two Ace hardware stores with a 8 miles ride, because this is a rural agricultural area they carry some odd ball stuff, yes expensive ..I also use Tractor Suppy for some stuff....
   About 20 years ago we bought a new fridge from a local small town appliance dealer that had been in business for years..it was delivered on Saturday morning, I took all the food from the old fridge and placed in in boxes...The delivery guys put it in place , plugged it in and hauled away the old one..It started to get cool so I loaded in the food and went about my business...two hours later I check, warm, not running, the smell a failed motor in the air...I call the appliance store..they tell me they are closing for the day..I say bring over a replacement, they say the delivery guys have gone home for the day, can't help me until Monday...So much for local home town service...

Offline TN Mark

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #28 on: October 05, 2019, 12:54:15 PM »
The Ace Hardware on 25th Street in Cleveland has the same pricing as the big box stores but with excellent service and free delivery.

Offline menzies

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #29 on: October 05, 2019, 02:18:10 PM »
Not sure if you know or anyone mentioned that as veterans we get 10% off at Lowes and Home Depot, that is if you decide to give them anymore business.

I will not shop at Lowes in my hometown, it is truly an exercise in futility.
2001 Triumph Bonneville
2007 Triumph Bonneville
2006 Triumph Scrambler
2017 V9 Roamer

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here