Author Topic: ...to the High Tatras Mountains  (Read 2528 times)

Offline Daniel Kalal

• Gaggle Hero
  • Daytona, Stelvio [Kansas]
    • Trip Reports
...to the High Tatras Mountains
« on: October 04, 2019, 11:15:12 PM »

The Carpathian Mountains extend in a large arc from Romania through  Ukraine and into Poland and Slovakia before ending with the Tatras Mountains  of Slovakia.  On an earlier ride,  I explored the southern Carpathians in Romania; for this trip, I'll be  exploring the northern end--the Tatras Mountains of Slovakia.

I'll be making a large counter-clockwise loop from Italy, returning  through Switzerland.  I'll work out the details along the way.

Europe Motorcycle Trip #22

Beyond the general goal of the Tatras, this would also be a good  opportunity to see a bit of northern Hungary as well as other parts of  Slovakia and the Czech Republic I've not ridden.

Italy

The outbound flights all came off without much problem (unlike my trip earlier in the summer, which was a bit  of a mess).

It's Chicago to Newark to Malpensa then the express train to Milan and  another regional train to Lecco at the lower (right side) tip of Lake Como.

Lecco, Italy.  I'll be two nights here.

It's always been this way, but it still seems unusual how late into the  night these folks extend their day.

If it were in California, this would be a taco-truck.  In Lecco,  it's a polenta trailer, serving more variations of polenta than you might  have thought existed.

The Azzone Visconti Bridge was built in 1336.  It now has eleven arches  instead of the original eight, and of course, all the shops and buildings along  its length have been removed.

Polenta is a common food in this region, and so is risotto and dried fish  from the lake.

It has been many rides since I was on anything other than a Moto Guzzi  Stelvio.  But, that model is out of production, and the one that I was  scheduled to ride was destroyed in an accident just prior to my arrival, so  I'll be on a Guzzi V85TT, instead.

It's a smaller bike than the Stelvio in every way.  That's a  concern, but it turns out the bike did fine (even though I sometimes wished  I could make it a bit taller and a bit more powerful).  Meanwhile, I've  got to figure out where to put everything.

The duffle-bag is on the back half of the seat and is easily strapped to  the brackets for the saddle-bags (that I won't be using).  The tool-bag  that had always been strapped to the handle-bar won't work there, but straps  easily just behind the duffle-bag.  My Spot device (the orange thing)  straps to the rear rack where the box would go.  The battery-powered  GPS attaches to the handlebar just as  before.  I wired in the  harness for my electric vest (which I never used) and the tire air-pump  (which is stored under the seat).  It's all easy enough.

My initial route is from Mandello up the valley to Sondrio and then  across the Adamello Alps towards the Dolomite.

So, where are the photos of the Adamello Alps?  It either was  raining or was dense with fog (or both), so there are none for this section.   In any case, I've been here several times.

Bolzano, Italy.  In this part of Tyrolean Italy, the towns feel and  look more Austrian than Italian, which reflects the (not always smooth)  history of this region.  You'll probably also hear more German spoken  than Italian.

My hotel is in the historic--pedestrian only--part of the city, but I was  able to park the bike not far away near one of the city gates.   Gasthof/Albergo Figl is where I'm staying.

Klaus Walter was really quit good using his hands, feet, knees and mouth to  play his music.

Bolzano Cathedral (1184).

If it's fresh food you want; this is where you'll find it.

Aperol Spritz, Pizza Quattro Stagioni and Apfelstrudel.  While the  “four-season” pizza is pretty much a standard found everywhere in Italy (I  would suppose), the other two items are perhaps most identified with this  region.

I mentioned to the waiter that I see more people drinking Spritz than  beer at the outdoor tables--he agreed, while looking a bit exasperated (he  preferred beer).

The Dolomites are part of the Alps, but they're so distinctive that it's  no wonder that people speak of them as something separate.  These are  rough and jagged mountains that it might seem impossible to build roads  through.  I'm riding west out of Bolzano.

The bit of green (below) is the upper part of the most mild ski slope any  beginner could want.

Wonderful roads, but be careful in the turns for the next bus to swing across  the full width.

For even this mild hairpin turn (below, right) I noticed a bus would  first stop to make sure that there was no traffic before proceeding around the  curve.

Cortina d'Ampezzo, Italy.  Years ago, I stayed in this resort town, but  today I'll be skirting around it.

The village of Valle di Cadore, Italy.

Large parts of the Dolomites are impassible, so while points A and B  might not be far apart, the road between them might take a couple of hours.   I think were these mountains in Switzerland, there'd be more tunnels.   As it is, there are very few.

Tolmezzo Sud.  It'll be eons before the supply of building stone is  exhausted.

Austria

Villach, Austria.  I was trying to avoid roads I've already ridden,  but I find that's difficult to do when there are only so many ways through.   Villach was a frequent bombing target during the second world war, but  they've done a good job at rebuilding and maintaining the historic center.

I think the architect for the hotel was making a deliberate effort to  break from all the historic constraints--let's have boxes on stilts.

Offline Daniel Kalal

• Gaggle Hero
    • Trip Reports
Re: ...to the High Tatras Mountains
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2019, 11:17:57 PM »
Things are pretty quiet this evening.

During the middle-ages, churches often made it a point to remind people  of their mortality (below, right).

Dinner at the local brewery.

The sign said “Tschaukofall”, but said nothing of how far I needed to walk to  reach the falls.  The answer: “about thirty minutes.”

Fresh running drinking water is a nice touch along the trail.   Motorcycle boots are not the very best hiking boots.

Tschaukofall is pretty impressive.  I'm standing in a natural grotto  where the roof has long collapsed--which means I'm looking through an arch at  the falls.  Having climbed plenty of steps to reach this view-point, I  saw no reason to descend all the way down to the pool (only to have to climb  back up, again).

Riding through a long, flat, narrow valley in southern Austria.   Plenty of corn, but this sure isn't Nebraska.

I'm not too impressed by the suspension on this V85TT.  I've  adjusted the settings on the forks and the rear shock to full-soft, but it's  still an unreasonably harsh ride compared to the Stelvio I'm more used to.   Anybody who takes this thing off-road has my respect.  In any case,  I've got full pavement tires, so I'm not going to be tempted.

It wasn't until I was right on the divide where one road splits right to  Slovenia and the other stays left in Austria that I decided to drop down to  Slovenia.  Right turn, it is.

Slovenia

Brezno, Slovenia

I'm following the Drava River.  Years ago, you'd be seeing vast log  rafts floating down this river.

Maribor, Slovenia.

Hrastovec Castle (built ~1200).  Today it's either a prison or a  psychiatric hospital (depending on what you think “Social Protection Center”  might mean--I don't know).

Murska Sobaota, Slovenia.

This seems an unlikely place for a hotel, but here it is.  It took a  couple of phone calls to track somebody down who could help check me in.

My dinner is buchweizen mit steinpilzen followed by bograč.  I've found  that regions where buckwheat is a staple always have good food--you cannot go  wrong even if you're not sure what you've orfdered.

Hodoš, Slovenia.

Small gardens like this one are quite common.  They're often just  outside the town and it isn't obvious who might be tending it.  As to  the sign--I saw more than one like this, but I never saw the animal that is  to be avoided.

Hungary

I'll be aiming for somewhere north of Budapest.

Dáka, Hungary.

Béb, Hungary.

Bakonykoppány, Hungary.

The Bakony Mountains are a fairly rugged area just north of Budapest.

The Cistercian Abbey of Zirc dates from somewhere around 1100.  It  has been reorganized and dissolved a number of times since then, but is  currently an abbey, once more.  It was a monk who unlocked the church  door and let me in to take these photographs.

The church is today full-on baroque, so it's clear that the buildings have  been remodeled substantially over the years since the beginning.

I'm not sure they didn't spend more time and money on embellishing the  organs than they did the organs, themselves.

Looking up at the ceiling.  Goodness!

Tata, Hungary is on the direct route between Vienna and Budapest, so it  has always been a particularly important town for travellers.

The Kristaly--Hungary's oldest running hotel--is on the road to Vienna.

Offline Daniel Kalal

• Gaggle Hero
    • Trip Reports
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2019, 11:20:10 PM »
Castles and fortresses and palaces have come and gone through the  centuries.

Near Neszmely, if you walk between the vineyards down the hill, you'll  meet the Dunav (aka Danube) River.  Swim across the river and you'll be  in Slovakia.  I'll be staying on this side for awhile, yet; there are  fewer places to cross than you might expect.

Esztergom.

The ferry from Tahitótfalu to Vác across the Dunav Rive.  I see my  ferry on the other side, so I'll be here for a spell.

I may not be able to read Hungarian, but I can figure out that It'll be  1290 Forints to get across.  I had money from a previous ride through  Hungary, but I only now find that my money is no good--it has expired.   Bother.  This has happened before and in other countries, so I have  only myself to blame. 

The ferryman didn't speak English (why should he?), but eventually he did  agree to accept €5.00 (which is doing pretty well for himself,  since the actually conversion from Forints to Euros would be €3.88)

Note: Europe is largely cashless, and most people  (including myself) use a contactless bank card--or phone.  I noticed  that often service stations didn't even have the equipment to accept cards  that were not capable of contactless transactions.  Larger hotels will  still accept old-fashioned American cards with magnetic stripes, but you'd  be best advised to get a proper card if you're traveling away from the more  popular cities.

These roadside shrines are quite common, particularly on the smaller  back roads.  They're older than you might think (I saw some that were  over two hundred years old), but are still maintained with fresh flowers.

These roads are giving my much-to-stiff shocks a workout.  In this case,  the bridge was built wide enough for two vehicles, but the road clearly is not.

Hollókő, Hungary and it's connected fortress in the Cserhát Mountains,  dates from around 1300 (after the Mongol invasion) and is now a UNESCO World  Heritage Site.

There's a whole mythology about the town that concerns magic ravens and  empowered women who will stand against anybody, but it's a bit confusing,  and I've forgotten it.

It must be difficult to live in a town that's also a showplace.

I wouldn't expect to find a hotel of this quality anywhere near here, but  you never know what you'll find if you're not looking.

It seems the whole town is taken up by constant needlework (as it  evidently has for centuries).

The castle is on the top of an old volcanic outcrop.  It would have  relied on a cistern and the systematic collection of rainwater.

There has been a general preservation and reconstruction of the castle,  but not so much as to destroy what is historic.  The video did a really  nice job at using CGI to show how the castle was built and how it eventually  came to decay over the years.  It's an especially good way to show the  original form of these historic buildings without the damage of actual  reconstruction.

The view of Hollókő from, the ramparts of the castle.

And, the view from the castle in the other direction.

The castle interior.

Which way?  Turn left.

Slovakia

Crossing over the Ipeľ River into Slovakia.

Figa, Slovakia.

The V85TT dash.  It's pretty and even entertaining at start-up (what  with the dynamic graphics).  But, I'm afraid it's not the best at giving  you the information you need at a glance.  With black-on-white,  white-on-blue and grey-on-white words and numbers as well as a bunch of unneeded  shapes and pictures, it could be much better.  It will also give you  information telling you when to shift gears, but thankfully, that can be turned  off.  Most odd, in the dark area outside the lit rectangle--where all the  annunciator lights hide--are even more graphic lines that don't mean anything at  all.

When it comes to instrumentation, clean-and-simple should be the guide  and the goal.

Paskova, Slovakia.  Do you see those flowers along the wall in  alternating colors?  It's a bit of beauty common in most all these small  towns.

Kunova Teplica, Slovakia.

Krasnohorske, Slovakia (Krasna Horka on the mountain).  I've been to  the castle on an earlier trip, so I won't be stopping this time.  It's  worth visiting.

The last time I was here (in 2011) this road was about half gravel.  I  see they've spread a bit of asphalt.  It's still rough, but it's an  improvement.

Mnisek Nad Hnilcom, Slovakia.

Wood fires smell so good on a cold and wet day.

Prešov, Slovakia.

This Soviet-era hotel might have four stars on their sign, but I'm not so  sure.

The long mural along one side of the hotel shows the history and glorious  struggle of peasants and the laboring classes up to the current day (meaning  1950).

Katedrálny chrám svätého Jána Krstiteľa (Cathedral of St. John the Baptist).

The historic town center is an amazing mixture of styles over the  centuries.  If you wander too far, however, you'll be in neighborhoods  of grey concrete boxes.

Kostol sv. Mikuláša.

Hearty bread, goulash, pork and dumplings (and beer).  Excellent.

Cigla.

I mentioned at the start that I never used my electric vest.  That  isn't to say that there weren't times when I would have turned it on if I  had only been wearing it.

I love these narrow, empty rural roads that will still take you across the  country for a hundred miles.

Offline Daniel Kalal

• Gaggle Hero
    • Trip Reports
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2019, 11:21:25 PM »
Riding north towards the Poland border.  The Tatras Mountains are to my  left.

Poland

I'm in the Tatras Mountains--my original goal--so, now I've only got to sort  out where I can go next.  The map has quite a few roads shown that are X'd out  as being permanently closed to traffic.  I'm not sure my GPS knows that  detail, so  I'll need to pay attention.

In Jurgow, Poland, looking south to the Tatras Mountains.  There are  no roads that will cross over these mountains (this isn't Switzerland), but  there are valleys that will get you through them.

Slovakia

Starý Smokovec, Slovakia.

There are grand hotels that long predate the Soviet occupation, and this is  one.  It deserves all its stars.  My room is essentially up high in the  attic, but that's no matter.

The ground floor has a series of lounges for whatever mood or form of  relaxation might suit you.

The train comes to Starý Smokovec, which makes this an attractive place for  people from all over Europe.

Just behind my hotel is the start of the inclined railway (funicular)  that goes partway of the mountain.

The steps you need to know: 1) get a blank card from the nice lady in the  office, 2) insert the card in the self-service machine and load it with  appropriate credits using your credit card, 3) wave the card at the  turnstile to deduct your credits and board the train.  This same card  can be used at several other locations.  Yes; you might select English  as your preferred language, but, the menu will at some point revert to  Slovakian.  Carry on, figure it out.

We're only part way up, but the view to the south is spectacular.

Several walking trails start from the top of the funicular.  Truly,  hiking is the only way to really see the Tatras Mountains, and there are  people staying in my hotel who have come to do just that.

The High Tatras Mountains.  These are the highest peaks in the entire  Carpathian Mountains, stretching all the way to Romania.  After all the  rain I've had, the clouds have cleared and it's just an amazing evening--it's such a  beautiful place.

In the dining room after returning by the same funicular.  Some chose to  walk back down.  I did not.

The Belá River, which originates in the High Tatras.

This morning, it's rain and fog; I'll have much more before it's done.

I like this.  It's a roadside spring with mineral water.  I  stopped here to get out of the rain for a bit.  I prefer my water to  be clear, but no doubt there's some health benefit from whatever is in this.

I'm standing under the (mostly) protective cover of a service station.   I don't know that this downpour is going to get better anytime soon. There  is a lot of water coming down.

I've been on lots of amazing mountain roads, but there will not be any  photographs until the rain stops.

Let's check the radar to see if things are going to improve this evening.   No; it doesn't look like it.  Wave after wave of green, yellow and red  blobs are moving through.  I'll look for a likely town to call it quits  for the day.

Bojnice, Slovakia.

The Bojnice Castle dates from around 1100.  Like nearly all castles of  this age, it has been rebuilt and remodeled countless times.  The current  look is a romantic notion of what the 19th century owner thought castles should look  like.

The menu was in Slovakian, but I think this is really an interpretation of  Carolina BBQ and nothing to do with Slovakia food at all.  Even so, it's  fine (but not exactly Carolina, either).

Czech Republic

The train station at Svatý Štěpán.  I'm guessing that it will  stop if you wave at it.  The trains I've seen on this line are not  exactly trains, as typically there's just a single car.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2019, 11:21:25 PM »

Offline Daniel Kalal

• Gaggle Hero
    • Trip Reports
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2019, 11:24:23 PM »
This weather is much more like it.

Štítná nad Vláří-Popov  This nice little town could be a  stand-in for hundreds of other small towns, just like it.

Bedihošť.  Notice the large factory behind the church.  I'd  see quite a few decommissioned factories, but it was not easy to tell what,  exactly, they once made.

Litomyšl, Czech Republic is as ideal and pretty a Czech town as you'd want to  find.  I understand that this is one of the larger market squares (that  word used figuratively as there is nothing square about it) in the Czech Republic.

I'm again in the attic.  Do you see that narrow vertical window at  the top of the white building?  That's my room.  It also has a  couple of skylights.

That stylish table and chair in the corner of my room is where the  narrow window is.  Would anybody use that table?  I didn't.   Today, as is everyday, is laundry day.

Litomyšl is not large, but there's a lot to see.  This is a photo of a  helpful sign I saw down in the market square.

The covered arcade extends on both sides of the street.

Kostel Nalezení svatého Kříže (Church of the Discovery of the Holy Cross),  built in 1716.

Litomyšl Castle was built in 1568 in the Italian Renaissance style.   It remains remarkably complete and the rooms are much as they were when the  castle was last occupied.

The painted exterior (called sgraffito) is just amazing.  The  extensive painting continues throughout the interior.

Sgraffito is a technique produced by applying layers of plaster tinted in contrasting  colors to a moistened surface
 - Wikipedia

The castle courtyard

The original 18th century castle theater is one of the few left in Europe.  Even  the stage mechanism is intact.

My guide for the tour (below) spoke only Czech, but I at least had a  printed pamphlet for each room that was written in English.

The castle interior.

The illusions of the exterior are continued inside.  That hanging portrait and all the  molding you see on this wall is not real.  The wall is completely flat.   It's all an illusion.

The floor, the wall and the ceiling are all smooth.  It's an  illusion, too.

The castle and the interior are in the style of the Italian Renaissance,  but the castle church is Baroque.

It takes two separate tours to see this entire floor (which I did).

Bedřich Smetana was born and first learned music in Litomyšl.   These are his rooms, although there are very few things here that belonged to  him.

Of course, I'm having a koláč.  I would have preferred a poppy  seed, but I think you've got to get to the baker earlier in the day if you're  going to be picky.

The cemetery.  Naturally, I looked for the last name of my two ancestors  who came from Bohemia (Kalal and Benda) but, didn't see any markers with those  names.

In a small cafe at the end of the market square, this might have been my  best dinner in the Czech Republic, and easily the least expensive.

For my remaining days, I'd have perfect weather.

Habry.  I need to spread open a map and figure out just where I'm going.   Of course, it's nice to just wander, but eventually, you really need to make  progress.

Offline Daniel Kalal

• Gaggle Hero
    • Trip Reports
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2019, 11:25:34 PM »
Ledeč nad Sázavou...

...is on the Sázava River.

I begin to dread these marked-out destinations.  At times it seemed  that all the roads were closed except the road back the way I had come.   In this case, I don't want to go to Brno, so I'll need to figure out  something.  It'll be much worse in Germany.

Březnice.

Are we looking at carrots, or could it be something else?  I didn't pull  one up to find out.

Narrow smooth and no traffic.  It's just what I'm looking for.

Nepomuk, Czech Republic.

Once more, I'm in the attic.  Do you see that interesting round  window, below?  That's my room.  No; I did not succeed in avoiding  hitting my head on a beam.

It's not every hotel that has a theater, but this hotel has been around  for a long time.  For the time being, this is the breakfast room.

Saint John of Nepomuk (c. 1345 – 20 March 1393) is  the saint of Bohemia who was drowned in the Vltava river at the behest of  Wenceslaus, King of the Romans and King of Bohemia. Later accounts state  that he was the confessor of the queen of Bohemia and refused to divulge the  secrets of the confessional. On the basis of this account, John of Nepomuk  is considered the first martyr of the Seal of the Confessional, a patron  against calumnies and, because of the manner of his death, a protector from  floods and drowning.

--Wikipedia

The church is on the foundation of Saint John of Nepomuk's birthplace.

Dinner at an outside table.  That's an egg, and those are rather  interesting dumplings; don't ask what else is there, but it was all good.   The beer is Pilsner, of course (I'm not sure anything else is even available).

The Czech Republic is an amazing place to ride.  The roads are  almost universally excellent, the towns are clean and the food is terrific.   This is my third time crossing the country, and it's been the same each  time.

Měcholupy, Czech Republic.

Germany

Rapeseed or any number of variations.  And, corn.  It's funny; both  these crops might be destined for a fuel tank (diesel for one and gasoline for  the other) and not a table.

Kelheimwinzer.

Miles and miles of hops. At least, I'm quite sure that this crop is not destined  for a fuel tank.

Augsburg, Germany.

I'm at the top, but it's not the attic this time.

After Neuss and Trier, Augsburg is Germany's third oldest city, founded in 15 BC by the Romans as Augusta Vindelicorum, named after the Roman emperor Augustus. It was a Free Imperial City from 1276 to 1803 and the home of the patrician Fugger and Welser families that dominated European banking in the 16th century. The city played a leading role in the Reformation as the site of the 1530 Augsburg Confession and 1555 Peace of Augsburg.

--Wikipedia

Dom Mariä Heimsuchung (Cathedral of Augsburg), built 1065.

Offline Daniel Kalal

• Gaggle Hero
    • Trip Reports
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2019, 11:26:41 PM »
I think people will far sooner donate funds for a second organ (perhaps  not even wanted) before donating money to upgrade the plumbing

The Evangelical Church of St. Ulrich (foreground, Lutheran) and the Basilica of St. Ulrich und Afra (background, Roman Catholic).   This unusual pairing was part of the Peace of Westphalia of 1648, which  ended the Thirty Years War (where some twenty percent of the German  population was killed).

I'm sure I didn't order that plate of fries, although I did order the  sausages and the dumpling soup.  Perhaps the waitress just thought “I've  no idea what he wants; I'll just bring this.”

The V85TT doesn't hold much oil, so I was watching it every morning.   The level had reached the lower mark, so I needed to top it up.  There's a  Guzzi dealer not far south, so I stopped at Finkl's Erlebnis Motorrad GmbH in  Königsbrunn to buy a liter of 10W60.  I used just half the bottle, so gave  the parts guy the rest.  At $20 per liter, it's not a trivial thing.

Church of St. Stephan, Kammeltal, Germany.

Ettenbeuren.

One more thing.  The side stand of the V85TT incorporates a shield  from the exhaust.  The trouble is that this mousetrap assembly also  tries to capture the heel of your boot, which isn't what you want.

Heidengraben.

Heidengraben ("pagans' moat") is the name given to the remains of a large Celtic fortified settlement (oppidum) dating to the Iron Age, located on the plateau of the Swabian Jura (Schwäbische Alb) in the districts of Reutlingen and Esslingen in Baden-Württemberg, Germany. The settlement was in use from about the late 2nd century BC to the early 1st century BC. By surface area, Heidengraben is the largest oppidum in all of mainland Europe.

--Wikipedia

Hohenneuffen Castle, built around 1100.

Hechingen-Stein, Roman villa ruins.  These ruins were only recently  discovered (post war), but the thinking of archeologists has changed quite a bit  since then.  Today, I don't know that anybody would rebuild on top of  ancient Roman ruins, even if the result is pretty interesting and quite helpful  in seeing how things once might have been.

We're just at the northern limits of the Roman territory in today's  Germany.

The aerial view shows what it is, today, and the scale-model gives an  idea of what it might have once been.

The baths.  I recognize this from the ruins along Hadrian's Wall in  Great Britain.

Things found in addition to bits of the actual colors that things once were.   This helps the reconstruction to be as accurate as can be known.

Hohenzollern Castle.  A castle of some sort has been here since the  11th century, however, this fanciful version dates from the mid-1800s.

The Haigerloch Castle dates from around 1200 and the town down below  would have developed at the same time.

The castle is high on a steep hill, overlooking the river and the town.   Today, the castle is a remarkable hotel.  And yes; I'm in the attic, again  (the far left window, lower right photo)

There are quite a few stairs if you want to walk down to the town.

Schlosskirche (1584).

On my return up the stairs after walking through the town early in the  morning, I followed the priest, who unlocked the door to the castle church.   Wow!

Offline Daniel Kalal

• Gaggle Hero
    • Trip Reports
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2019, 11:27:41 PM »
The view looking up.

This is a famous and busy (with motorcycles) riding area in southern Germany.  The photo is  one of the more boring bits.

Switzerland

Romanshorn, Switzerland.  You might guess that this town on Lake  Constance was founded by Romans, but it actually dates from the 7th  century.

In the valley of the Rheine River, riding south.

This time there is no question as to the crop.  Carrots.  Yes;  I put this one back in the ground (I hope I didn't kill it).

Chur, Switzerland.  It's a place I've stayed at several times and  it's a nice town to spend the night before returning to Italy.

A Redwood tree grows in Chur?  Yes, it does.  Several, in fact.

The view from Brienz to Tiefencastel, across the valley.  I've been on  all the passes into Italy, but I've not been on this one for several years.

Following the Albula River.  What a crazy place for a road.  But,  even more so that there's also a railroad that comes through (often inside the  mountain).

Albulapass.

The view south towards Italy, but, there's still one more pass to go.

Berninapass.

Bernina Pass takes me into Tirano and then to  Sondrio and Mandello.

Italy

Mandello del Lario and Lake Como (or Lario is it would be called here).

Each flavor is also labeled with a Moto Guzzi model.  I had  “Stelvio” (Fragola) and “V85” (Caramello Salato) and “Otto Cilindri”  (Grignetta) in a waffle cone.

My room is on the third level.

Where all birds are welcomed and given fresh drinking water.

The next morning I'll take the train back to Lecco and then Milano.

Offline Daniel Kalal

• Gaggle Hero
    • Trip Reports
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2019, 11:28:39 PM »
Milano.

The Palazzo Reale (Royal Palace) has revolving art exhibits (usual three  at a time) so there's always something new.  This is an exhibit on the  Raphaelite Brotherhood, which was largely put together by the Tate Museum  (of London).

It's always interesting to see paintings that are so famous, you forget  that there even is an original.  It's nice, too, when a museum allows  photography.

Taking the Yellow Line back to my hotel.

Forget dinner; I think I'll just have bar food in my hotel. Buy a drink (a  Spritz, naturally) and the good food just keeps coming from the kitchen.   Meanwhile, there's a soccer game playing on the television and a local team is  playing.

I don't know that I've seen the original “Sound of Music” since I saw it on  first release in 1965.  What's been on broadcast T.V. has been drastically  edited for length.  So, that's what I'll be watching on the long flight  back to New Jersey.

Its nice to see the Alps once more.

An excellent trip.  The goal was to see the High Tatras Mountains  and they did not disappoint.

Online Tom H

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2019, 12:37:34 AM »
Very nice! :cool:

Thank you!
Tom
2004 Cali EV Touring
1972 Eldo
1970 Ambo V1000
1973 R75/5 SWB with Toaster
2007 HD Street Bob
1953 Triumph 6T (one day it will be on the road!)

oldbike54

« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2019, 12:52:12 AM »
 Amazing  :bow:

Thanks for the post card Deke , it made my day .

Dusty

Offline jacksonracingcomau

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2019, 02:14:44 AM »
 :thumb:
Thanks

Online Gliderjohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2019, 07:50:27 AM »
Fantastic pictures and travelog. Thanks! :thumb:
GliderJohn
John Peters
East Mountains, NM

Offline Aaron D.

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2019, 07:51:41 AM »
That was great!

You travel alone. Though we enjoy riding over your shoulder.

Offline JJ

• Gaggle Hero
  • Life is meant to ENJOY...not "endure."
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2019, 09:09:24 AM »
Fabulous photos and adventure, as always...thanks for sharing, Daniel!! :thumb: :cool: :boozing:
Life Member: MGNOC L-772, AMA, HOG
'98 V10 Centauro GT
Village of Oak Creek, AZ

Online LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2019, 10:15:07 AM »
 :thumb:
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Online nick949

• All you have to do is decide what to do with the time that's given to you.
  • Gaggle Hero
    • Nick Adams Writing
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2019, 12:32:34 PM »
Wow - I'm exhausted.   :bow: :bow: :bow:

Nick

Offline fossil

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2019, 01:13:26 PM »
Thank you for sharing! Better than a TV documentation.
Greetings from Germany!
Thorsten

Online frozengoose

• To eaches his onus...
  • Gosling
    • smiles from nowhere
  • Location: Just a little ways past Fairbanks, Alaska on the locally world famous Chena Hot Springs Road
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2019, 03:18:03 PM »
Great photos, like to read more of the adventure.

I grew up in a Czech neighborhood in Chicago area, so have thought about a trip back to the "old country."

Did you learn any of the languages or just got by with English? Like I said, it'd be great to read more.

Big Jon

Two old Guzzi's (V65 & T), 250E CZ, and 6 happy huskies.

Well, I've got a baby, she's a bad motorcycle
Brrooom-pa-pa-pa, pa-pa-pa-pa-paw
When we ride together, all through the night
She's got a real wild machine and it's out of sight
She goes brrooom-pa-pa-pa, paw-paw, motorcycle
Jerry Zee

Offline Daniel Kalal

• Gaggle Hero
    • Trip Reports
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2019, 03:57:57 PM »
I grew up in a Czech neighborhood in Chicago area, so have thought about a trip back to the "old country."  Did you learn any of the languages or just got by with English?

Are you of Czech or Bohemian heritage?  If so, what town(s) did your people come from?  Two of my ancestors came independently from Bohemia and settled in the Chicago area, which is where they met.  The small towns they came from are not far apart, but they only met in Chicago.

Of course, it would be terrific to know the language, but you can still get by.  Today's technology is quite remarkable.  You can use your phone to translate written things (menus and such) and your phone will also serve as a two-way device for talking back and forth in two languages.  I've used Microsoft Translator with good success for that.

If you are interested in going, I'd suggest booking a ticket and then you can sort out all the details.  Don't wait for a sign.

Online frozengoose

• To eaches his onus...
  • Gosling
    • smiles from nowhere
  • Location: Just a little ways past Fairbanks, Alaska on the locally world famous Chena Hot Springs Road
« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2019, 04:20:46 PM »
Are you of Czech or Bohemian heritage?  If so, what town(s) did your people come from?  Two of my ancestors came independently from Bohemia and settled in the Chicago area, which is where they met.  The small towns they came from are not far apart, but they only met in Chicago.

My paternal grandparents were from Bohemia when it was part of the old Austria/Hungary (pre WW1). Don't know where, guess I never asked when they were around. But I googled up our name once and one site said it originated in several villages in SE Bohemia.

What part of Chicago did your relatives live? I grew up in Berwyn, which was largely a Czech speaking area then, tho I never did learn much of the language. Our high school was nicknamed Czech Tech!

The wife's father was from Germany, the Rhineland we think, so we're talking about a trip to both places. Be great to do it on a Guzzi! How did you hook up with the bike?
« Last Edit: October 06, 2019, 03:54:07 PM by frozengoose »
Big Jon

Two old Guzzi's (V65 & T), 250E CZ, and 6 happy huskies.

Well, I've got a baby, she's a bad motorcycle
Brrooom-pa-pa-pa, pa-pa-pa-pa-paw
When we ride together, all through the night
She's got a real wild machine and it's out of sight
She goes brrooom-pa-pa-pa, paw-paw, motorcycle
Jerry Zee

Offline Markcarovilli

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2019, 07:16:57 AM »
Nicely done as always .....

Thanks

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2019, 07:54:20 AM »
Awesome, Daniel.. thanks.  :thumb:
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Online bikeridertim

• Gosling
  • Just ride it!
« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2019, 09:19:04 AM »
 :bow: :bow: :bow: WOW! Thank You for a wonderful way to start my Sunday!!  :grin: :grin: :thumb:
2017 MOTO GUZZI MGX-21
1999 MOTO GUZZI EV11
1973 MOTO GUZZI ELDORODO
MGNOC L-201
AMA LIFE MEMBER 543509
IRON BUTT 12038

We struggle our whole lives so that we don’t have to struggle.  Huzo

Offline RaceyStoner27

• New Egg
  • Bigly Strictness
« Reply #24 on: October 06, 2019, 01:09:52 PM »
Other people TALK a good game...this Daniel guy actually goes out and nails it!  :thumb:

Very enjoyable...
A che serve una macchina senza anima?

Online PJPR01

• Gaggle Hero
  • Norge, Scura, Griso
« Reply #25 on: October 06, 2019, 03:23:40 PM »
How nice to see such a great pictorial again.

Ironic to see Klaus Walter playing in Piazza Walther...in Bolzano.  I may have mentioned it to you a few years ago perhaps sitting around the camp fire in Cedar Vale, this is a town my parents spent much time in years ago, so much that my sister was born there in fact.  I have visited a few times as well...always enjoy Alto Adige, and the wonderful ride over the Brenner pass to Innsbruck and beyond.

Interesting to note that you went thru Villach...did you make it to Klagenfurt as well?  Another favorite place of mine I have spent many weeks visiting over the last 30 years as a best friend lives there and Vienna, and the middle pier on the Worther See is our favorite place for an afternoon swim fest in the lake.

Lovely pics and narration as always!
Paul R
2021 Honda Goldwing Bagger Manual Cement Gray
2015 Red/Black Griso
2008 Silver Norge
2002 V11 Scura

Offline Daniel Kalal

• Gaggle Hero
    • Trip Reports
« Reply #26 on: October 06, 2019, 03:40:17 PM »
...did you make it to Klagenfurt as well?

No.  I've been through the valley a couple of times, but both times I was on the smaller road along the south side, avoiding the E66 motorway that goes through Klagenfurt.  Perhaps, next time...

Incidentally, the day I was in Villach, there were a LOT of Harley-Davidsons on the road.  Evidently, one of the larger European H-D rallies was happening that week.  That is, I'm guessing it was for H-D as that's what the majority of motorcycles were, when usually BMWs out-number everything else.

Online PJPR01

• Gaggle Hero
  • Norge, Scura, Griso
« Reply #27 on: October 06, 2019, 06:29:29 PM »
No.  I've been through the valley a couple of times, but both times I was on the smaller road along the south side, avoiding the E66 motorway that goes through Klagenfurt.  Perhaps, next time...

Incidentally, the day I was in Villach, there were a LOT of Harley-Davidsons on the road.  Evidently, one of the larger European H-D rallies was happening that week.  That is, I'm guessing it was for H-D as that's what the majority of motorcycles were, when usually BMWs out-number everything else.

:thumb: :thumb:
Paul R
2021 Honda Goldwing Bagger Manual Cement Gray
2015 Red/Black Griso
2008 Silver Norge
2002 V11 Scura

Offline kidsmoke

• Gaggle Hero
  • It's never too late to be what you might have been
« Reply #28 on: October 07, 2019, 07:35:19 AM »
Thank you. Seldom does a thread on a forum cause me to re-evaluate my life choices and consider where I shall go from here....
'79 G5
'93 1000S
'00 Jackal
'09 GRiSO

Offline Daniel Kalal

• Gaggle Hero
    • Trip Reports
« Reply #29 on: October 07, 2019, 02:04:00 PM »
and consider where I shall go from here....

now, that's about as unnerving a response as I've had from just a bunch of ride photographs.  good luck!

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here