Author Topic: Science Experiments Continue on the Hi Cam  (Read 774 times)

Offline Old Jock

• Gaggle Hero
Science Experiments Continue on the Hi Cam
« on: October 06, 2019, 12:00:39 PM »
So for those fans who have been following my less than stellar attempts to track down where my oil pressure has gone  :rolleyes:

I filled it with oil, the oil cooler is looped out, the plugs are out and the cams rotated to ensure the valves were closed.

It was then turned over on the starter motor. As I've never done this before I had no idea what to expect, but I was pretty surprised the oil leakage I'm getting out the front mains into the timing chest.

As I have no clue this could be completely normal, but it caused me mild surprise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3y2l24OZ1Lg

Obtained 49-50 psi when turning it on the starter, of course that may seem good, but with the plugs out (no compression) and no valve springs to work against (the belts are off so the valves are stationary) the starter hasn't got much load on it and will therefore spin faster than normal.

Comments good bad or indifferent welcome

The plan at the moment is to put it back together get a new Mocal oil cooler and lines that don't use banjos to reduce the pressure loss. I may even fire it before that with the cooler looped out for a few minutes just to see what sort of pressures I get.

If that all just ends in a repeat of what I've previously seem then the next move would be to check the big ends. I abandoned that idea initially as the rod bolts seem horribly tight and I don't want to reallly want to screw with $1k + rods unless I have to (they are Carrillos).

John

Online Frenchfrog

• Gaggle Mentor
Re: Science Experiments Continue on the Hi Cam
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2019, 12:10:10 PM »
Once the engine fires you should get the same pressure at least though..as you say see if there is any loss from the cooler arrangement.I guess you still have not been able to check the cases for faults there...but the loss you talk about never seemed excessive to me but frankly I'm not an expert in any way !
Like you I'd still be trying to hunt down the problem....
« Last Edit: October 06, 2019, 12:10:53 PM by Frenchfrog »

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here