Author Topic: Well? Why not?  (Read 6554 times)

pete roper

Well? Why not?
« on: April 23, 2018, 12:48:37 AM »
A crashed Cali 14 came up on one of the auction sites here.

I just won it for $1350.00

Now I just have to slot the motor into my Stelvio and modify the heads and Shazzam! Stelvio 1400!

Mark’s on board for mapping it while I’m away in the US! A 1400cc ‘Dirt’ bike! How stupid is that? :evil:

Pete

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Well? Why not?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2018, 12:53:09 AM »

Now I just have to slot the motor into my Stelvio and modify the heads and Shazzam! Stelvio 1400!

Mark�s on board for mapping it while I�m away in the US! A 1400cc �Dirt� bike! How stupid is that? :evil:

Pete
Wanna' sell your Stelvio donk and drivetrain if surplus to requirement, for duty in an '07 Norge ?
« Last Edit: April 23, 2018, 12:54:08 AM by Huzo »

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2018, 12:54:57 AM »

Mark�s on board for mapping it while I�m away in the US! A 1400cc �Dirt� bike! How stupid is that? :evil:

Pete
Just stupid enough..

pete roper

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2018, 01:01:35 AM »
Wanna' sell your Stelvio donk and drivetrain if surplus to requirement, for duty in an '07 Norge ?

Sure. It’ll need a freshen up. New rings and camchains and a head service and i’ll Slip some shells in and we can talk money :laugh:

Pete

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2018, 01:01:35 AM »

beetle

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2018, 01:28:17 AM »
I look forward to thrashing the buggery out of it carefully remapping it.

Offline smdl

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2018, 01:38:42 AM »
Subscribing to this thread.  I'm really interested to see how this comes out.  I've ridden an Audace, and that engine is epic.   :popcorn:

Cheers,
Shaun
'74 Eldorado Civilian
'17 V7 III Stone
'21 Aprilia Tuono 660
'22 V85TT Guardia D'Onore
'22 V85TT Guardia D'Onore (Yep, two)

Offline Paul Brooking

• Gosling
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2018, 01:50:41 AM »
Subscribing to this thread.  I'm really interested to see how this comes out.  I've ridden an Audace, and that engine is epic.   :popcorn:

Cheers,
Shaun

What would you call this mystical beast?

"Stace" ?
"Stallifornian"?
"Stain"?
 :evil:

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2018, 02:07:01 AM »
Sure. It�ll need a freshen up. New rings and camchains and a head service and i�ll Slip some shells in and we can talk money :laugh:

Pete
No laughing matter..
'Could be the genesis of a good idea.

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2018, 02:08:24 AM »

"Stace" ?
"Stallifornian"?
"Stain"?
Audacio..!

Offline Paul Brooking

• Gosling
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2018, 02:10:21 AM »
Audacio..!

My Italian is non existent ... but that almost looks like a word? :cheesy:

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2018, 02:15:29 AM »
My Italian is non existent ... but that almost looks like a word? :cheesy:
I'm coming over to Bat 11's on or about the 6th of next month to start our ride North.
Wanna' coffee and a pie floater ?

pete roper

« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2018, 02:24:01 AM »

Cheers,
Shaun

Oh we know what fun a single spark 1400 can be having built one for Mark. Some weedy amount more HP but 10-12 ft/lbs of torque everywhere from 2K to where it goes ‘Blurp-Blurp-Blurp’! That in a Stelvio is just going to be ridiculous! :grin:

Pete

Offline Paul Brooking

• Gosling
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2018, 02:25:20 AM »
I'm coming over to Bat 11's on or about the 6th of next month to start our ride North.
Wanna' coffee and a pie floater ?

That would be great ...

PM me details

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2018, 03:43:37 AM »
That would be great ...

PM me details
ok, stay in touch with Ian ( bat 11)

Offline Muzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • On the backside of the planet.
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2018, 04:35:46 AM »
I sense a hooligan bike coming up........ :evil: :thumb:
Muzz. Cristchurch, New Zealand
03 Breva

Life is just a bowl of Allbran
Ya wake up in the morning and it's there

pete roper

« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2018, 05:17:07 AM »
Nah, really, the 1200�s are fantastic bikes. There has been a whole lot of flannel thrown about on how and why they were �Retired�. My belief is that the pack of suits who run the show nowadays sat down, looked at the figures and took the short sighted view that the way forward was to abandon a multi-choice platform and concentrate on big cruisers and the �Convenience�, trendy market.

Now before any of the Nuevo Small Block brigade get on my case let me say I�m overjoyed thet you like and love your bikes but your bikes are a living fossil! Even Royal Enfield India is streets ahead in most ways. They aren�t interesting or innovative mechanically, they are in all ways a triumph of form over function, they have shitty suspension, use a forty year + old chassis that is way beyond its use by date.

The thing is that it doesen�t float my boat. I think it sucks that what used to be one of the most innovative companies in the world has been reduced to making, well, what it does.

The reason why I�m going to build a 1400 Stelvio is the same reason we built the 1400 Griso. Because it is, in a completely silly and un-necessary way it is a big *F#%&* you to a company that turned its back on almost a century of struggle and innovation and prostitutes the history of Moto Guzzi for a hand full of sand.

Forza Guzzi!

Offline chuck peterson

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2018, 05:24:20 AM »
It's not in the workshop manuals, you shouldn't do that, it's cross genetic splicing that could lead to obscene hideous creations of no good use to the world...they'll grow and reproduce spawning generations of tinker mechanics behind you trying to make cafe racers, street trackers and nonsensical mythical beasts...

I'm in.. :thumb:
"I'd like to thank all my friends who have kept my Guzzi's going, but mostly...TOMB."
150k on Verts
750 Nevada
400f
R5 Yammie
BV250
4x 1976 Moto Demm Smily,, now 5, oops now 6, oops now 7
1980 SP1000 in little bits and pieces

Offline Murray

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2018, 05:46:51 AM »

"Stace" ?
"Stallifornian"?
"Stain"?

In the spirit of the Elefant the obvious name would be gigantesco, it translates to english according to google. Scratch that this is a better translation  mammut.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2018, 05:56:25 AM by Murray »

pete roper

« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2018, 05:54:58 AM »
Giantesco? It’s English for big supermarket!

Offline tris

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2018, 06:18:04 AM »
Nah, really, the 1200�s are fantastic bikes. There has been a whole lot of flannel thrown about on how and why they were �Retired�. My belief is that the pack of suits who run the show nowadays sat down, looked at the figures and took the short sighted view that the way forward was to abandon a multi-choice platform and concentrate on big cruisers and the �Convenience�, trendy market......

... and sadly I suspect that this will be the truth

The whole corporate world appears these days appears to run scared of any innovation and forward thinking (Leon Musk being one of the few exceptions)

However, I sure that its safe to say that your machine will be better that the 1400 "Scrambler" that MG HQ will inevitably release at some point :sad: :sad:
2017 V9 Roamer
2005 Breva 1100 (non ABS) "Bruno" - now sold
1995 Cali 1100 - carby   "Dino" -now sold
1993 TW125 "POS" - Resting

Offline Murray

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2018, 06:30:34 AM »
Giantesco? It�s English for big supermarket!

Or an awkward conversation with your GP.

Offline Unkept

• Gaggle Hero
    • Unkept Uncaged- Youtube Channel
« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2018, 09:36:20 AM »
Nice catch Pete!  :thumb:

If they keep making 1400's, at least we'll have big heart transplants for the sporty Guzzi models we love.  :grin:

Offline PJPR01

• Gaggle Hero
  • Norge, Scura, Griso
« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2018, 09:52:47 AM »

Pete

Will you also have to beef up the CARC in some way shape or form here Pete once the heart transplant takes place?  Thinking back to the series of cracked CARC's on the Stelvios - just curious if the larger engine will overwhelm other parts of the drive train?
Paul R
2021 Honda Goldwing Bagger Manual Cement Gray
2015 Red/Black Griso
2008 Silver Norge
2002 V11 Scura

Offline rtbickel

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2018, 11:15:12 AM »
Pete, where will you find the giant gnarly knobby tire it will require, and will you have to graft the 1400 swingarm/drive assembly to the CARC frame?  In any event, I wouldn't want to be behind you when it throws up a 100 foot roostertail of dirt when you nail it!  Can't wait to see the result. :drool:
2020 V85TT
2002 California Special Sport - The Black Widow
2014 California Touring - Stealth (Gone but not forgotten)

pete roper

« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2018, 12:21:18 PM »
Will you also have to beef up the CARC in some way shape or form here Pete once the heart transplant takes place?  Thinking back to the series of cracked CARC's on the Stelvios - just curious if the larger engine will overwhelm other parts of the drive train?

No need to beef anything up anywhere. All of the componentry is grossly ever built. There have been about four cases of swingarm failure recorded world wide over the twelve years of production of the CARC series bikes and they all seem to have been the result of cracks emanating from one of the hose clip holes in the swingarm casting.

As for the motive unit itself I’ll have to look at the gearbox ratios of the Cali 14 box and final drive to work out whether I can use the entire motive unit or if I’ll stick with a 1200 box. The 1400 box has the advantage of having a face cam shock absorber on the input shaft which the 1200’s for some reason lack.

Only other thing required will be a head swap and modifications to the single spark 1200 heads due to the different cooling circuits and we know how to do those as all the development work was done on Mark’s Griso 14.

As for tyres? The Conti TKC’s I’ve been running will do just fine.

Pete

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2018, 01:11:36 PM »
I always get a kick out of people wetting themselves because they can't buy some farkle off a shelf somewhere, or there's something out there that attracts their attention, but they can't use it because the factory didn't put it there. 

I've got a hydro and a 1200 2v driving torque converters.  At a recent national rally, I saw a loop with a diesel engine.  I've seen hydraulic valve 850 engines, and we put flavors in drones, boats, and cars.

The whole point of owning Guzzis is chopping them up and making something else out of them.  So as long as it's some proper big block, ( :evil:) why not, indeed!

Offline JohninVT

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #26 on: April 24, 2018, 10:17:45 AM »
TKC's with a 1400 engine?  They should last about 500 miles...lol.

Cool project!  How much does the 1400 engine and gearbox weigh compared to the 1200?   

pete roper

« Reply #27 on: April 24, 2018, 12:53:19 PM »
TKC's with a 1400 engine?  They should last about 500 miles...lol.

Cool project!  How much does the 1400 engine and gearbox weigh compared to the 1200?   

I’ve been running TKC’s with Stelvio since I bought it, they wear just fine. I’m really hard on tyres for some reason and they’re lasting much better than the PR4’s on the Griso!

As for weight? The 1200 and 1400 engines are essentially identical apart from the heads and the difference with them is simply in the cooling system. Gearbox is slightly heavier due to the inclusion of the face cam shock absorber on the input shaft, that’s all. Dunno yet if i’ll Be using the gearboxas I haven’t checked the ratios.

Pete

beetle

« Reply #28 on: April 24, 2018, 04:31:32 PM »

Online steven c

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #29 on: April 24, 2018, 04:58:27 PM »
 Sounds like a great idea!
2020 V85TT Traveler
74 949 Eldorado

75 Benelli 250
2006 Buell Ulysses
78 Honda XL125

MGNOC 6412

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here