Author Topic: Routes through AR, MO, OK, KS  (Read 4015 times)

Online rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
Re: Routes through AR, MO, OK, KS
« Reply #30 on: April 26, 2018, 09:44:45 AM »
For all youse guys reading this who are thinking about riding between NW Arkansas and NE Oklahoma, and would like to avoid the "5-miles of horror" that is US-412 through Springdale, there is another way.  One of the best little motorcycle roads in NW Arkansas connects Fayetteville and Siloam Springs:  AR-16.

Here's the map, for your viewing pleasure:  https://goo.gl/maps/9LRQJZPPHDw

This is the way to go, if you're using AR-16 (Huntsville Road) or AR-45 (Mission Blvd) east of Fayetteville.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2018, 09:55:09 AM by rocker59 »
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

oldbike54

« Reply #31 on: April 26, 2018, 10:09:17 AM »
For all youse guys reading this who are thinking about riding between NW Arkansas and NE Oklahoma, and would like to avoid the "5-miles of horror" that is US-412 through Springdale, there is another way.  One of the best little motorcycle roads in NW Arkansas connects Fayetteville and Siloam Springs:  AR-16.

This is the way to go, if you're using AR-16 (Huntsville Road) or AR-45 (Mission Blvd) east of Fayetteville.

16 is a wonderful stretch of road  :thumb:

Dusty

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #32 on: April 26, 2018, 01:16:07 PM »
Or you might ride from Fayetteville to Tahlequah. 

Hwy 62 from Westville to Tahlequah is my favorite road in the state.
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline alanp

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #33 on: April 26, 2018, 03:25:39 PM »
Great ideas guys!  Sorry I can’t take ALL of your advice.  But here is a serious question:

I have roughly plotted this out. 
Day 1 - Birmingham to Mena, AR, minimal interstate.  Seems doable.
Day 2. - I was shooting for Clayton, NM via the Talimena, OK 82, OK 66, US412.  Estimated arrival in Clayton if I travel National Lampoon Vacation style is about 8:00 PM (with gaining an hour).  That’s too far, too late:

So my question for you sages is should I bite the bullet and run some I40 and stick with making Clayton, or is there a reasonable alternative place to stay?  Guymon and Boise City don’t look too appealing....
« Last Edit: April 26, 2018, 03:26:34 PM by alanp »
Niwot, Colorado
'08 1200 Sport - Black
'16 V7II Stone - Black
Previous Guzzis
'07 Griso, '07 Norge, '03 California SS, '02 California SS, '02 V11 Lemans,  '83 Lemans III, '77 Lemans

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: April 26, 2018, 03:25:39 PM »

oldbike54

« Reply #34 on: April 26, 2018, 03:51:49 PM »
 I 40 would be quicker for sure , I mentioned going towards Sieling from just West of OKC , putting you on 412 just East of Woodward OK . Guymon is fine , Boise City has pretty limited places to stay.
Lowryter mentioned the Gloss Mtns , which are on 412 , that would require shooting for Fairview from the South and the turning West on 412 . Those are really mesas , and kind of unique , but would mean a few more miles of travel . I 40 West of OKC is very high speed with lots of trucks , 412 out West has always seemed a better option , you can visit Slapout OK  :laugh: That said , there is kind of a cool RT 66 museum in Clinton OK , just off the interstate .

I should mention the motorcycle museum on RT 66 at Warwick OK . It is very cool , and an hour spent sitting in the shade at the front will allow you to come in contact with folks from exotic places , like England  :laugh:

PM sent the other day , let us know what you decide Alan .

Dusty

Online rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #35 on: April 26, 2018, 05:45:53 PM »
Great ideas guys!  Sorry I can’t take ALL of your advice.  But here is a serious question:

I have roughly plotted this out. 
Day 1 - Birmingham to Mena, AR, minimal interstate.  Seems doable.
Day 2. - I was shooting for Clayton, NM via the Talimena, OK 82, OK 66, US412.  Estimated arrival in Clayton if I travel National Lampoon Vacation style is about 8:00 PM (with gaining an hour).  That’s too far, too late:

So my question for you sages is should I bite the bullet and run some I40 and stick with making Clayton, or is there a reasonable alternative place to stay?  Guymon and Boise City don’t look too appealing....
I'd shoot for Clayton, and it's historic hotel.  Nothing in Boise City, and nothing cool/historic that I can recall in Guymon .

600 miles, Mena to Clayton. You can do it!  What is that? 3 tanks of fuel?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

twowings

« Reply #36 on: April 26, 2018, 05:49:14 PM »
OK-33>OK 47 or OK-51>US270>US60 into Texas are a LOT more scenic (relatively for Oklahoma) and less hectic than US-412 or I-40...besides a small detour off OK-47 on OK-34 will take you to Leedey, OK birthplace of Darla Hood better known as Little Darla of the Our Gang comedies...need I say more?

« Last Edit: April 26, 2018, 05:50:00 PM by twowings »

Online Luap McKeever

• Owner, WildGuzzi.com
  • Administrator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Lead, follow, or get out of the way!
    • Wildgoose Chase Moto Guzzi
« Reply #37 on: April 27, 2018, 06:26:17 AM »

Hehe. Trying to avoid thread drift here. But I remember one year I rode to Fayetteville to attend a charity poker run. I paid the entry fee, got the map and then just couldn't believe it. The ENTIRE poker run was from Fayetteville to Siloam on 16.  I said "you all just keep my entry fee. I rode 45 miles to get here, I won't spend all day on a 28 mile poker run".  Evidently, they had 4 stops along the way. I thought...4 stops in 28 miles? Nope. Not for me :evil:
Founder, Wildguzzi.com (est. 1998)
2021 V85TT Centenario E5
2001 California Special
2001 California EV
2020 Indian Challenger Limited

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here