Author Topic: Scotland Bound  (Read 1711 times)

Offline Bulldog9

• Gaggle Hero
Scotland Bound
« on: June 06, 2019, 08:54:04 PM »
Wife and I are travelling to Scotland in July, will be based out of Glasgow and Edinburgh. 

Appreciate any suggestions, guidance on what to do not do. We arent into the 'tourist attraction/trap theme park thing' but more interested in the Real Scotland, must see places. We like hiking, biking, and of course would love to spend some time on 2 wheels.  I know Ireland well, hail from the McDonnell clan, with roots in Scotland, but this is our first trip and have little knowledge of the highlands.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2019, 08:45:48 AM by Bulldog9 »
MGNOC#23231
The Living: 1976 Convert, 2004 Breva 750, 2007 GRiSO, 2008 1200 Sport, 2016 Stornello #742,
The Departed: 2017 MGX, 2014 Norge GT, 
In Stasis: 1978 XS750, XS1100SF

Offline tris

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Scotland Bound
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2019, 02:45:53 AM »
This https://www.northcoast500.com/

Not done it myself ... yet ... but it gets lots  of good write ups
2017 V9 Roamer
2005 Breva 1100 (non ABS) "Bruno" - now sold
1995 Cali 1100 - carby   "Dino" -now sold
1993 TW125 "POS" - Resting

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2019, 02:52:41 AM »
I went to John O Groats and then swept down through the Lakes district en route to Dover in 2015.
Way up the top it’s barren and windswept, but you would probably feel cheated if it weren’t.
There’s certainly a rusted on sense of history and culture there that’s indelible.
Another place that I don’t think it’s possible to go wrong, no matter which way you (literally) turn..

Offline stephenm

• New Egg
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2019, 03:47:23 AM »
Riding up to Glencoe is beautiful. Depending on the weather, it will be either atmospheric and mysterious or beautiful. The ride out to Mallaig is delightful; you can feast on Cullen Skink and Fraoch Heather Ale, then catch the ferry to the Isle of Skye. Riding around Skye is an experience you won't forget. You can ride back to the mainland over a bridge.

Stephen

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2019, 03:47:23 AM »

Offline molly

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2019, 03:51:01 AM »
Take midge spray.
Choose 'outdoor' clothing to allow for four season in one day.
Don't have a drink and drive. Stricter laws in Scotland than the rest of the UK.
The NC500 is a lap of Northern Scotland, allow three days.

Enjoy your trip.
Dave

Lincolnshire, U.K.

Griso 1100

Offline Old Jock

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2019, 04:12:58 AM »
Bulldog9

Drop me a PM if you want, I live in Glasgow. Where in Glasgow will you be and for how long (tell me in the PM)?

Not sure why your going to be based in Edinburgh and Glasgow, they are only around 45 minutes by train from each other and the service is every 30 minutes or better

As far as what to see, it depends on how long you have, what sort of transport you're planning on, is it countryside/scenery you want culture in the city or a mix of both.

The advice on weather is spot on, the west particularly is extremly unpredictable, waterproofs and being able to layer up (and down is a must). So far the summer has not been good, but that should help reduce the dreaded midge. Scotland will probably take you longer to get around than you think, not a lot of motorways after you head north out the central belt and the roads way up north are often single track. Depending on when you come, the weather could have changed dramatically there is just no telling

A lot of people miss the borders which is very picturesque.
For rugged scenery west coast up Ulapool area is probly the best IMHO, if you continue further you hit the flow country, which is very marshy windswept and desolate, but lovely to see, very rugged as Huzo said
One of my personal faves is the A832 Destitution Road

As far as the cities, Edinburgh beats Glasgow hands down for tourism a lot more historic buildings. Glasgow was an industrial city in its hey day from late Victorian up until 1950s early 60s. Still some nice buildiings in the West. Glasgow Uni is worth a walkaround too, nice buildings and of course Lord Kelvin spent his time there and a certain Mr Watt came up with some ideas on steam engines.

Here are a couple of shots of Edinbrugh I took a while back (just random they were on my photo account)

To balance it up, Glasgow Uni

« Last Edit: June 07, 2019, 05:48:47 AM by Old Jock »

Offline Cam3512

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2019, 04:30:25 AM »
For starters, watch Braveheart AGAIN!
Cam in NJ
'67 Stornello Scrambler
'71 Ambo Police
'74 V7 Sport
‘20 V85TT

http://mgnocnj.forumotion.com

Offline Old Jock

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2019, 05:12:38 AM »
For starters, watch Braveheart AGAIN!

Most of it was filmed in Ireland!!

Just saying

Offline nobleswood

• Gosling
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2019, 05:58:21 AM »
Old Jock,

I'm going to be in Glasgow visiting my brother & his family, July 10 11 12. Any chance I can stop by & say 'Hello' ?

Tim Noble
2004 V11 Sport Naked / Ballabio
2013 1200 8v Griso

Offline Old Jock

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2019, 08:08:28 AM »
PM'd you Tim

oldbike54

« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2019, 09:04:29 AM »
 Lerwick on the Shetland islands is a bit remote , but somewhere I would want to visit if in Scotland .

Dusty

Offline Old Jock

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2019, 11:34:30 AM »
Lerwick on the Shetland islands is a bit remote , but somewhere I would want to visit if in Scotland .

Dusty

To my shame I haven't visited many of the islands.

I'd quite like to see Staffa (Fingle's Cave) and St Kilda is meant to be stunning but hard to get to because of the weather and geographical location

Went through Little Corrvrekan and Corrvrekan on a rib at a rip tide some years back that was fun but with that damp chilling and bone penetrating cold (alhtough the temperature is nothing compared to what you guy's get) that only Scotland seems to able to dish out.

Corryvrekan is quoted as being the 3rd largest Whirlpool in the world (Japan and Norway are #1 & #2 respectively). It's not it's a tidal race where small but extremely powerful whirlpools form, you can see the rib with 20+people being tossed around like a toy.

View them in Full screen to see it at it's best (aplogies for the music, I was going through my Ibiza phase at the time)

Little Corryvrekan (aka The Grey Dogs)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0W1eMZct1Sg

Corryvrekan
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aoyMRr0zBiA
« Last Edit: June 07, 2019, 11:49:44 AM by Old Jock »

oldbike54

« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2019, 11:43:39 AM »
To my shame I haven't visited many of the islands.

I'd quite like to see Staffa (Fingle's Cave) and St Kilda is meant to be stunning but hard to get to because of the weather and geographical location

Went through Little Corrvrekan and Corrvrekan on a rib at a rip tide some years back that was fun but with that damp chilling and bone penetrating cold (allhtough the temperature is nothing compared to what you guy's get) that only Scotland seems to able to dish out.

Corryvrekan is quoted as being the 3rd largest Whirlpool in the world (Japan and Norway are #1 & #2 respectively). It's not it's a tidal race where small but extremely poowerful whirlpools form, you can see the rib with 20+people being tossed around like a toy.

Little Corryvrekan (aka The Grey Dogs)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0W1eMZct1Sg

Corryvrekan
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aoyMRr0zBiA

Wow !

The Shetland islands look to be an interesting mix of cultures , they still celebrate old Nordic holidays and Nordic traditions , while being very much Scottish . I am acquainted with a retired policeman who served on the Lerwick dept for several years , he was originally from Glasgow (I think?) . He somehow ended up here in Oklahoma , a very interesting bloke , very funny in a really dry way .

Dusty

Offline averb

• Gosling
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2019, 09:59:30 PM »
Wife and I did the NC500 in september on hired Honda NC700's. Would do it again in heart beat
Also enjoyed Edinburgh and Glasgow
Steve

Offline Knuckle Dragger

• Gosling
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2019, 03:29:03 AM »
It's been almost 35 years since I was in Alba, so I'm not going to be of much help.  I do recall that I tried to eat the world's second worst Fish 'N Chips in Inverness (there was even 'deep fried haggis' on the menu; the worst by the way was in Zeehan Tasmania).  I loved the West Coast, Hebrides & Skye, but hated the bleak, wet fortnight spent on St Kilda (my ancestral seat).  Best thing my forebears ever did was to emigrate in 1849.

One incident in particular still resonates:  riding through a tiny fishing village on the West coast perched vertiginously on & above a cliff, I was hailed by a tiny-tot.  Less than 5 YO is my guess, but he seemed short for his age, so it's the roughest of guesses.  After a performing a U'ie I pulled alongside:  "ken ye gi' me a bakkie?"... "pardon?"..... "will ye gi' me a bakkie?"...... "sorry, still don't understand"....... the tot, now exaspertated "joost gi' me a bladdy bakkie will ye?"...."er.... I think you're a bit young to be smoking, aren't you?".

Without further ceremony, he strides up as confident as you please & proceeds to scramble up on the bike behind me!  Aah!  Comprehension finally hit..... a double-dink!  So i passed him my (obviously ill-fitting) helmet & rode somewhat tremulously down the cliffside to the Quay.  Treated both of us to a hot snack (smokies [herring] I seem to recall) & drink at the fisherman's chippie, only to regaled about how boring life was in the village, especially "wif me da aweigh ahl de toime on da herrin' 'n' me ma fussin' o'er the bairns".  The tot (Dugald by name I found out) wanted to know why I talked "sooch shite words ee cannae fesh (understand) ye".  When I explained that I was from Australia, he immediately demanded "tak me thar".

Sorry no can do.  It's simply not allowed.  "Dinna be daft, oi wanna coom wi' ye".  "Sorry it's a long, long way away.  The other side of the world in fact".  "Oi knoo tha', man, oim ney ah bladdy eddeyot!  But oill joost coom ennywayse".

Stalling for time before whilst trying to come up with a more persuasive/dissuasive excuse that wouldn't see me locked up for the 'term of me natural' for child abduction or worse, I played what I thought was my trump-card:  "but won't your ma & da miss ye, & won't you miss all your other pals too?".....  "Fook 'em, fook the bladdy lot 'o 'em!  Me ma sez oim joost a bladdy pest ennywaze, 'n me da's ne'er hoom.  On the bladdy herrin' or roun tha Poob peshed 'n foitin' 'n all!.  Nah...oim coomin' wi ye.  Oil jes be like broothers".

Shit!  This kid can debate me under the table!  How to extricate myself from this impending doom?  Finally, in desperation, I lie.  "But I already have a brother.  Just down the coast in Ayr.  He stayin' with his auntie, & waiting for me to pick him up & take him home.  That's his place on the back.  He's a jealous bugger, & simply won't stand for anybody else coming along.  Plus, there just won't be any room on the bike for 3 of us anyways, will there?  Maybe I should just take you home, eh?"

"Fook it, orright den" as he desultorily kicked at a bollard (or whatever those things are called that the fishing boats tie up to).  Having dodged a bullet, yet still feeling fairly guilty about my barefaced lie, I raced at top-speed back up the cliffside & deposited him home.  Leaving him peremptorily by his doorstep & zooming off whilst he, forlornly waving, receded into the distance in my mirrors, never to be seen again. 

I occasionally wonder what it might have been like to have had a little brother..... and if at the age of 40-odd he's maybe a fisherman too like his "da" or whether perhaps in young adulthood he instead sought those fabled greener pastures elsewhere?

« Last Edit: June 24, 2019, 09:38:26 AM by Knuckle Dragger »
Severus bastardis

Offline Simmoto

• New Egg
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2019, 02:10:36 PM »
I live there, NC500 excellent ride; NE250 a good add that includes Royal Deeside and Balmoral Castle. Id reccomend Orkney if youre taking a sea journey; closer than Shetland and Kilda and can be worked into NC500, it has amazing standing stones and landscape. You can hire bikes in Muir of Ord in the Highlands. Skye is amazing ona good day and no boat journey needed. Distances are not huge and roads are small and twisty. You need good full body warmth and waterproofs. PM me if youre doing tge NE250 and drop by for a cuppa

Offline giusto

• Gaggle Hero
  • Giusto il canne del Como
    • photobucket
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2019, 07:41:11 PM »
I was fortunate to spend a bunch of time in Northern England and Scotland when I was younger....you mentioned hiking...Fort William is the place....I found guide services at Nevis Sport or go right to the source and look up Hunter Mountaineering....a sk them to take you up onto Ben Nevis (highest mountain in Great Britain) and they will cater to your abilities....it's worth the guide thing as it makes best use of your time and will get you to some awesome places.

Go to Skye is you want the real Scotland. Drink highland, lowland and speyside single malt scotches...mmm omg good

Ask the locals...take their advise...go where ever they send you :)  Whit's fur ye'll no go past ye....= "what ever is meant to happen will happen"

Lucky you !!! 

2020 V 85 TT Travel
76 V1000 Convert Mr. Slate
76 V1000 Convert...in restoration process
2008 Norge Mia
2007 Breva
66 Benelli 125
68 Gilera 106
è il viaggio non la destinazione che è importante

Offline Bulldog9

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2019, 09:24:57 PM »
Thanks for all the feedback, really appreciate it. 
MGNOC#23231
The Living: 1976 Convert, 2004 Breva 750, 2007 GRiSO, 2008 1200 Sport, 2016 Stornello #742,
The Departed: 2017 MGX, 2014 Norge GT, 
In Stasis: 1978 XS750, XS1100SF

Online PJPR01

• Gaggle Hero
  • Norge, Scura, Griso
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2019, 09:15:43 AM »
That was entertaining Knuckle dragger, you wrote it perfectly!  A good laugh this morning!
Paul R
2021 Honda Goldwing Bagger Manual Cement Gray
2015 Red/Black Griso
2008 Silver Norge
2002 V11 Scura

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here