Author Topic: 75 850T Puzzle of parts! Need photo help  (Read 1368 times)

Offline denisj

• New Egg
75 850T Puzzle of parts! Need photo help
« on: September 29, 2022, 12:08:51 AM »
Hi All!
Just scored me a 75 850T

It's a complete basket ..the kind where it seems the previous owner was more curious than he shoulda been as he was trying to only paint the frame.

I am truly at the point of guessing. I've got all the books including Guzziology and I am searching the net including here and This old Tractor looking for where the parts go. I'm striking out.
I've stumbled my way to some mountings but they really don't fit right. Here is where I am at:

-Harness routing..left or right side of backbone? Threading through where?
-Fuse box...does the bulk of the wiring exit out of top side? There is a pic on the service manual of the V7sport that shows the bulk of wires exiting the top side of the box and the few wires on the opposite side pointing to the battery tray
- Regulator/diode board and relay..they are very close together and nearest the horn. I can see where the diode board mounts, but the bracket is not the same width as the tabs on the frame. Maybe it's bent? Looks straight. The relay adjacent to the board is translucent and I believe it's the starter relay. The horn wiring is right there too and it lines up well.

This is a tough one. I spend my days on Bimmers, Brits and Japanese bikes. Routing and locations are so prevalent, but not this Guzzi It's a new challenge for me! I'm eager to assemble it, check for the missing parts then perform the

refurb it needs.

monitor size check

Offline Canuck750

• Gaggle Hero
Re: 75 850T Puzzle of parts! Need photo help
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2022, 12:19:56 AM »
Try here, I think the T is similar to the T3 / S3 for the diode board mounts

https://wildguzzi.com/forum/index.php?topic=75654.0

Or here for the 750S / V7 Sport

https://wildguzzi.com/forum/index.php?topic=81304.30

48 Guzzi Airone, 57 Guzzi Cardellino, 65 Benelli 200 sprite, 66 Aermacchi Sprint, 68 Gilera 106 SS, 72 Eldorado, 72 Benelli 180, 74 Guzzi 750S, 73 Laverda SF1, 74  Benelli 650S, 75 Ducati 860GT, 75 Moto Morini 3-1/2, 78 Moto Morinii 500

Online Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2022, 08:52:29 AM »
-Harness routing..left or right side of backbone? Threading through where?
-Fuse box...does the bulk of the wiring exit out of top side? There is a pic on the service manual of the V7sport that shows the bulk of wires exiting the top side of the box and the few wires on the opposite side pointing to the battery tray
- Regulator/diode board and relay..they are very close together and nearest the horn. I can see where the diode board mounts, but the bracket is not the same width as the tabs on the frame. Maybe it's bent? Looks straight. The relay adjacent to the board is translucent and I believe it's the starter relay. The horn wiring is right there too and it lines up well.

This may help with harness installation: https://www.thisoldtractor.com/moto_guzzi_tonti_wiring_harness_install.html

There are rubber washers that go between the diode board bracket and frame tabs - that should fill the space you're seeing. There's a wire to ground the diode board to the frame due to this rubber mounting.

That translucent relay is likely the headlight flash relay. Horn wires connect there too, but just as a connection point, the relay doesn't operate the horns. It's not a bad idea to add a relay for the horns and also one for the ignition circuit. The starter relay was originally mounted to a metal bracket near the starter, bolts to the transmission at the neutral switch, a rubber cover goes over the relay and bracket.
Charlie

Offline denisj

• New Egg
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2022, 11:47:38 PM »
Thank you, seems very helpful. This bike has no provisions for the electrics on the side..behind the toolbox.

I'm still a bit stumped on the relays. There are 2 translucent relays..one near the battery area and one nearest the steering neck.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2022, 11:47:38 PM »

Offline denisj

• New Egg
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2022, 11:50:44 PM »
This may help with harness installation: https://www.thisoldtractor.com/moto_guzzi_tonti_wiring_harness_install.html

Thank you...I've read every word. Very helpful, but I'm stuck at the few holes in the information. I'd really like it to be original in it's setup.

I'm starting to see that maybe the 850T is unique in is organization.

« Last Edit: September 30, 2022, 11:51:44 PM by denisj »

• Gaggle Hero
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2022, 08:42:19 AM »
Thank you, seems very helpful. This bike has no provisions for the electrics on the side..behind the toolbox.

I'm still a bit stumped on the relays. There are 2 translucent relays..one near the battery area and one nearest the steering neck.

The relay at the steering head is the headlight flash relay, the one near the battery is the starter relay.
Charlie

Offline denisj

• New Egg
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2022, 12:22:30 AM »
Ok,
With the help here and lots of attention to wire memory I think I've got it.
Input ease
-I've placed the winker relay upside down on the right side of the frame within the headlamp bracket. Not sure at all of this is correct
-I see the bracket for the diode board needs the rubbers and the mounting points are both on the left side of both frame brackets
- I've located a bracket that fits the starter relay just fine, I imagine the other end of the bracket mounts on the engine?
- I do not have any wires for the rear brake light switch..but there is a neutral switch wire?
- The wires to the tail lamp? Not sure what's going on here, correct routing not yet explored
- I think the routing of the harness is correct...thoughts?
Suggestions? Input? Anything is welcomed.

Thanks you again! Very excited to have me a T bike.

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2022, 12:41:10 AM »
I like the seat.. :popcorn:

Offline Canuck750

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2022, 06:03:08 PM »
I hear you may be looking for switch gear info, If I recall correctly the 850 T uses the same switches as the Convert and Le Mans??

I think these are the worst switches ever made! If your not too hung up on original I would replace the switches with a universal type like the ones MG Cycle sells

The left and right switches come apart like this, pry the plastic clip out of the main plastic body and catch the spring

The light switch slides off the handle bars like this

48 Guzzi Airone, 57 Guzzi Cardellino, 65 Benelli 200 sprite, 66 Aermacchi Sprint, 68 Gilera 106 SS, 72 Eldorado, 72 Benelli 180, 74 Guzzi 750S, 73 Laverda SF1, 74  Benelli 650S, 75 Ducati 860GT, 75 Moto Morini 3-1/2, 78 Moto Morinii 500

• Gaggle Hero
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2022, 07:24:46 PM »

- I've located a bracket that fits the starter relay just fine, I imagine the other end of the bracket mounts on the engine?

As I wrote previously, that bracket mounts to the neutral switch on the left side of the transmission.
Charlie

Offline yamaguzzi

• New Egg
  • I ride I wrench I ride some more
    • Riding The T And The K
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2022, 08:57:35 AM »
I used switches for a 2000? Ducati on my 75 850T but then again mine isn't a restored original it's a semi custom rider . Been riding it since '07 and travel real long distances with her .I found much of the electrics can be replaced easily with better stuff.I used the Dyna electronic ign and coils, the Euromotoelectric adjustable voltage reg , the Ducati switches , a lawn tractor battery that I got from K mart  ,a Valeo starter (lighter weight) .She's treated me real good over the years and the 140,000 miles I have put on her since I got her.

If you need any help figuring it out I'm pretty familiar with the T

Offline Scout63

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2023, 07:27:43 AM »
Kind of a long shot but if you can find an original 850T in your area to borrow for a few weeks, you can refer to it as you work.  I was fortunate to have a friend with an untouched old Commando when wiring mine.  I parked it in the garage next to the project.
Ben Zehnder - Orleans, MA USA

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here