Author Topic: Azusa Canyon and the GMR ride today  (Read 666 times)

Offline BedMac

• New Egg
Azusa Canyon and the GMR ride today
« on: October 22, 2019, 06:47:03 PM »
I'm fortunate to live close to two great riding roads: Angeles Crest Highway (ACH) and Azusa Canyon.  They used to be connected, but the road that connected them suffered damage and it has been closed for years with no plans to reopen it.

ACH (HWY 2) has a gazillion permutations including Angeles Forest Highway and Upper Big Tujunga Canyon.  You can stop at Newcomb's Ranch or head all the way to Wrightwood.  You can come back through the desert.

Azusa Canyon (HWY 39) has fewer options and is shorter.  You can head up to Crystal Lake or turn across the bridge and go through Camp Williams and up to the Glendora Mountain Road (turn right) or the Glendora Ridge Road (turn left) (You could do it all, of course.)  I refer to the two Glendora roads together as the GMR, though perhaps others may reserve GMR for the Glendora Mountain Road section only.

The Glendora Ridge Road is lightly traveled, more so on a weekday.  This is good because much of it is a single lane for traffic heading in either direction.  This can be a bit nerve racking on blind corners.  At least it is a wide singe lane.

I headed up Azusa, turned at the bridge and then left on the GMR to Baldy.  It was in the 90sF down the hill; a pleasant 77F in the mountains.

My Rough still hasn't hit its first service, but it was a fun ride.  Its light and nimble character made the tight sections a breeze.

« Last Edit: October 22, 2019, 08:16:01 PM by BedMac »
Now:
2018 Moto Guzzi V7III Rough
2016 Ducati Multistrada 1200S
2009 Aprilia SR50 Factory
1970 Honda Mini-Trail 50

Then:
2011 Suzuki DRZ400S
1980 Yamaha XS400 "cafe conversion"
2011 Ducati Hypermotard 1100
2009 Ducati 1198S
2003 Ducati 999
2007 Ducati ST3
1981 Yamaha XS400 Special

oldbike54

Re: Azusa Canyon and the GMR ride today
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2019, 06:50:27 PM »
  :thumb: You should contact SoCalRob , here is nearby , and a good guy .

Dusty

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here