Author Topic: NGC: in-line AC thermostat  (Read 577 times)

Offline Testarossa

• Gaggle Hero
    • Skiing History
NGC: in-line AC thermostat
« on: November 05, 2019, 06:32:29 PM »
I'm sure someone here can solve this simple problem.  I'm happy with DC circuits but 240vac makes a coward of me, and when frightened sometimes I don't think straight.

The electric baseboard heater in Gail's studio won't turn off, so I pulled the circuit breaker and took the thermostat off the wall. The original Mears unit (at least 25 years old) is out of production so I ordered a modern two-pole Honeywell CT410B.

The Mears has three wires: Red for line, black for load and white for neutral, which confuses be because I thought you get a neutral wire only with 110v circuits. The Honeywell has four: L1 and L2 for line (red), T1 and T2 for load (black). I assume the line wire (black) from the box should go to L1 and/or L2.
  • Should I twist the line wire together with both L1 and L2 (red), or just one of them? 
    Should I twist the load wire (black) together with both T1 and T2 (black) or just one? 
    What do I do with the remaining white neutral wire from the box?

Any help?

70 Triumph TR6R, 74 850T, 74 Yamaha TA125, 89 Mille GT, 99 F650, 2013 Yamaha XT250
Gone: 59 Piper Comanche 250, 69 Harley/Aermacchi 350SS, 71 Honda CB500/4, 74 Laverda 750 SF2, 91 Suzuki VX800, 50cc two-stroke scoot, 83 XR350R

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
Re: NGC: in-line AC thermostat
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2019, 09:15:00 PM »
Its using the line and the neutral for the control circuit as 110 Volts, may have hat a relay or some electronics
I think the Honeywell is just a simple mechanical device.
If the Honeywell doesn't require a Neutral just tape it up or put a marette to stop it shorting something out

How to wire it?, that depends on how the heater was originally wired, did the electrician wire it as single pole or 2 pole?
Could you take a picture of the electrical box showing the wires.

I should mention I'm an industrial Electrician, house wiring is not really my thing.
If I was doing it from scratch I would run the two wires from the switchboard to L1 & L2 with the switch wires T1 & T2 going to the heater terminals.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2019, 01:03:12 AM by Kiwi_Roy »
17 V7III Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Moto Guzzi - making electricians out of riders since March 15 1921

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here