Author Topic: School me on 2012 Stelvio NTX  (Read 1060 times)

Offline JayDee24ca

• Gosling
School me on 2012 Stelvio NTX
« on: August 15, 2018, 10:01:05 PM »
There is a 2012 NTX for sale a few provinces east of me that I am kinda pondering purchasing. What are any known issues with these bikes? It has 53000 kilometers on it, which is not too bad, asking 7G Canadian. Were there problems with these bikes?  I miss my Quota, and people keep telling me that the Stelvio is a way better bike.
Thanks!
John D.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2018, 11:09:41 PM by JayDee24ca »
'74 Nuovo Falcone
'79 Convert
79 G5
the rest are all gone.....

pete roper

Re: School me on 2102 Stelvio NTX
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2018, 10:20:24 PM »
It is, but 2012 was the changeover year from flat to roller tappets. The only way to know for certain is pull a rocker cover and look. If the owner/dealer refuses to do this? Walk away. There are plenty more Stelvios in your country without the flat tappet headache.

Pete

Offline Paul Brooking

• Gosling
Re: School me on 2102 Stelvio NTX
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2018, 10:52:48 PM »
John D
I bought a 2012 Stelvio NTX last year. I have already put 12,000 Km on it winding my way around Outback Australia,
This bike had been "Roperised" (Translation  ... Peter R installed the relevant Roller Tappet Kit for the previous Owner).

I've learnt how to remap the bike (Thanks Mark - Beetle) using Guzzidiag and the relevant cables
I've also learnt how to balance the TB's using a manometer .
My next job is to pull the swingarm off to ensure that the bearings have been greased (Not done by the factory)
Again, there is a great pictorial by a forum member locatable using the search function.

http://wildguzzi.com/forum/index.php?topic=66579.msg1021807#msg1021807

This is a mostly complete list of the known issues
http://wildguzzi.com/forum/index.php?topic=88274.msg1395347#msg1395347

Am in the process of planning an international trip on this bike for 2020.

Would I recommend buying the bike you are looking at?
Yes - subject too -
- What Pete Said and;
-  if that is the market price for the Stelvio in your neck of the woods?

Offline JayDee24ca

• Gosling
Re: School me on 2012 Stelvio NTX
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2018, 12:15:09 AM »
I don't know if this bike has roller valve gear or not yet. I wanted to get some background info prior to contacting the seller, so that I sounded at least a bit knowledgeable when I spoke with him.
Reading older posts from the early years it sounded as though the flat tappets might be okay so long as the bike was serviced properly, but I take it that as time went on there have been disastrous consequences to some bikes as a result of the flat tappets. Is that a  correct assumption?
 Assuming that this bike has flat tappets, and an appropriately adjusted sale price, what would it cost me to install a roller kit? Or is that something that I should not consider.
Thanks!
JD
'74 Nuovo Falcone
'79 Convert
79 G5

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2018, 12:15:09 AM »

pete roper

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2018, 12:32:11 AM »
Sadly, part of that misconception is down to me. I very publicly defended the flat tappet design for many years because I wasn't seeing them fail. The thing was they were failing but I simply wasn't looking in the right place.

The sad truth is they are allgoing to fail how long it takes to happen depends on a variety of factors but I've not seen one over 20,000km that doesn't show damage. Usually it is apparent long before that.

The cost of rollerising varies from bike to bike but if you're paying factor in 1.5 to 2K foe the parts and the job to be done right.

Pete

Offline JayDee24ca

• Gosling
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2018, 11:30:36 AM »
Thanks Pete for that info on the tappets, I will heed your advice and run for the hills if it turns out to have flat tappets.
And thanks Paul B. for the link to the additional information. If the bike does indeed have rollers and I pull the pin on the purchase, these links wil come in handy.
John D.
'74 Nuovo Falcone
'79 Convert
79 G5

Offline Darren Williams

• Finally got me a Griso!
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Life is too short to go slow!
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2018, 12:05:50 PM »
Jay...

You've received good advice here and sounds like you have a good plan of action. Good luck.

I had a 2013 factory rollered NTX and really loved the bike, that is until a deer decided he liked it too and tried to take it from me! Like all Guzzi's, they take some owner involvement but the rewards are worth it. Set up right it can be a fantastic touring bike.
The best part of riding a motorcycle is to tilt the horizon and to lift the front coming out of a corner and to drift the back end powering thru loose dirt and to catch a little air topping a hill and... yeah it's all good!

Offline Luap McKeever

• Owner, WildGuzzi.com
  • Administrator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Lead, follow, or get out of the way!
    • Wildgoose Chase Moto Guzzi
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2018, 12:22:40 PM »
I had an 09 Stelvio and the '12. The 12 is awesome. Was leaps and bounds ahead of the prior model.  They are a complete cinch to wrench on, fun handling, fast and comfortable. Wish I could have kept it.  The only concern is the rockers. If those are rollers, jump all over it. I'm betting it is with that many miles on it though.
Founder, Wildguzzi.com (est. 1998)
2021 V85TT Centenario E5
2001 California Special
2001 California EV
2020 Indian Challenger Limited
2021 TaoTao TBR7

Offline kirb

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2018, 12:50:56 PM »

Offline Markcarovilli

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2018, 01:01:59 PM »
mine is a 2012 with factory rollers that I got from ChuckH.

great bike and you won't be disappointed.....

Mark

Offline leafman60

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2018, 05:52:51 AM »
I suggest trying for a later model and then being sure to attend church every Sunday and say your prayers before going to bed at night.

Many, many posts on this and other sites regarding "normal" issues with these bikes. You will be best served by reading these things and taking preemptive measures.

Performance-wise, the Stelvio is an unmatched contender in the large dual-purpose bike category.  They offer the low-end grunt and visceral appeal lacking with more "developed" versions in this genre.

Good luck and may God bless you.

« Last Edit: August 17, 2018, 07:13:06 AM by leafman60 »

Offline Cage Free

• Gosling
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2018, 11:35:16 AM »
They are now very cheap new or used. A used 13 at a dealer in San Diego with 30k ish miles for $4999. or new 17's for $11999. in Vegas. I love my 13, its been really great (38k miles) and seeing how its not worth crap Ill probably keep it forever.

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here