Author Topic: Home Cured Bacon  (Read 903 times)

Online Perazzimx14

• Gaggle Hero
Home Cured Bacon
« on: December 16, 2018, 11:38:19 AM »
5,041g skinless pork belly

Salt 2.75% by weight = 123.5g
Dark brown sugar 1.1% by weight = 50.41
Cure #1 - 0.25% by weight = 16.13g
Black pepper 1.9% by weight =  95.78g

All the dry ingredients thoroughly mixed together and then spread even on the belly. 20% on the fat side and 805 on the meats side. Into a 37 degree refrigerator in a non-reactive food safe bus pan for the next 14 days to cure. The meat will get flipped over every day or so. 

In 14 days I'll remove the meat from the cure and rinse with cold water and some white wine. Then back into the fridge uncovered for 3 to 5 day to equalize nd dry out a bit before cold smoking over apple wood for eight (8) separate 10 hour cold smoke sessions. Smoke for 10 hours then back in the fridge for 14 hours to rest then repeat. After cold smoking i complete rest again in the fridge uncovered for 3 to 5 days to mature.

No pictures of this but eerily similar to the pancetta I posted on 12/15/18. Biggest glaring difference between bacon and pancetta other than the spice mixtures are Cure #1 and Cure #2. one is for short curing the other is for long curing.

Home cured bacon verses store bought is very different. Home cured bacon for one can be made to your exactin taste and texture. The other difference is when you fry up home cured bacon it doens't shrink and shrivel like store bought that is pumped full water. I 9 instrip of my bacon will finish at 7-1/2" long whereas a 9" strip of store bought will be about 3 or 4" once fried.

Its worththe extra time to roll your own!

2021 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2017 V7 III Carbon Dark #0008 of 1921
2017 Road Glide Special
2020 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2016 Suzuki Van Van 200

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here