Author Topic: Input request on this MG  (Read 1997 times)

Online Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
Re: Input request on this MG
« Reply #30 on: November 03, 2021, 01:22:07 PM »
Do you have access to Moto Guzzi Big Twins, by Greg Field?   He has very good info on all the iterations of the Cal III, of which there were many.
I don’t have that book Chad but I’ll try to locate it or maybe see if I can get it on line.
Thanks for the the response and tip 👍

Online Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #31 on: November 03, 2021, 01:42:14 PM »
I’m going to come clean here and now, so please be easy on me regardless of which side of the discussion you may be on. Fortunately there are some here on both sides snd even some that may be, as I am, on the fence.

All four of my Guzzis I’ve had now has had Issues related to the EFI system. If it would have not been for a couple of the guys here that came to my aid, I would have been in trouble. NC had one dealership 100 miles away and the one time I called to try and get work done, TPS reset, TB balance and c
Valves adjusted, the service manager told me he didn’t have a certified MG mechanic and advised me to take if elsewhere.
Then my 2015 1400, ate 2 TPS sensors in 5K miles.
Therefore I’ve been looking for an older MG without EFI.
I realize there are pros and cons for both fueling systems. I also realize that EFI is superior to carbs, overall. I also realize that folks that are capable of dealing with the EFI ECU systems do really well owning  these bikes, However I’m just not one of those people. I’m as bright as a burned out lite bulb in that field.
Sooo, when this one came up on Craigs list, it caught my eye.
So there, cats out of the bag, so let’s discuss this very much motorcycle and MG related thread.

Online sdcr

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #32 on: November 03, 2021, 01:44:26 PM »
Dan,

Here is the ad. Looks like it’s still available, and just a few states away

https://baltimore.craigslist.org/mcy/d/pasadena-moto-guzzi-california-iii/7392800840.html

Do u remember what the asking price was or brought?
« Last Edit: November 03, 2021, 01:45:35 PM by sdcr »
John
2000 BMW R1100 RS
1983 BMW R100
2009 Jaguar XK

Offline nc43bsa

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #33 on: November 03, 2021, 08:13:56 PM »
Watch out if it has 40mm dell Ortos.

A few of the Cal3 bikes in that time frame had full-on LeMans motors.  A WG member in NC has one of them.
1990 MilleGT

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: November 03, 2021, 08:13:56 PM »

Offline chuck peterson

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #34 on: November 04, 2021, 07:19:12 AM »
Watch out if it has 40mm dell Ortos.

A few of the Cal3 bikes in that time frame had full-on LeMans motors.  A WG member in NC has one of them.

That would be a Big valve motor on a cal3…they’re out there…test drove one and it wanted to go 90 all day…before you shifted to 5th!

In general I offer my opinions without trying to say you should do this or that..my experience may not be what happens to you

If you were to ask me, and you have…the standard blank slate cali’s make a lot of sense because you can add or subtract front fairings as needed or wanted. The FF cal 3 is a very special bird…more a collectible than a 200k beast..i loved the style/look…but..i was spoiled by 100k on a convert w windjammer as far as ride ability. The taller steering stem/longer swingarm higher center of gravity and different rotating balance of a squareblock was just plain …..ummm ….annoying by contrast …so the quibbles i have were easy to see, and solve.

It is definitely one hell of a road going beast…a cross continental ballistic missle that will meet your desire, that’s for sure
"I'd like to thank all my friends who have kept my Guzzi's going, but mostly...TOMB."
150k on Verts
750 Nevada
400f
R5 Yammie
BV250
4x 1976 Moto Demm Smily,, now 5, oops now 6, oops now 7
1980 SP1000 in little bits and pieces

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here