Author Topic: V7III Throttle Cables  (Read 561 times)

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
V7III Throttle Cables
« on: January 22, 2022, 07:32:17 AM »
I was shocked to find the return throttle cable rusted through in 3 places.
Water had sneaked down the steel core and rusted it right through in a low spot under the tank

I stripped the outer jacket off and cut the cable into short pieces with the Dremmel

Although I pre-lubed the replacement in hindsight the inner wire is still not oiled, the Nylon sheath prevents that.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2022, 07:38:42 AM by Kiwi_Roy »
17 V7III Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Moto Guzzi - making electricians out of riders since March 15 1921

Offline Beowulf

• Gosling
Re: V7III Throttle Cables
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2022, 09:55:48 AM »
Man thanks for posting. I seem have run in to problems with my throttle cable. Sure you seen my post will report back. Had no idea that could happen this soon.

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
Re: V7III Throttle Cables
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2022, 08:57:57 AM »
Bump,
I didn't think this post got the attention it should have, My V7 has been kept in a warm garage all its life although I don't hesitate to ride in the rain.
I'm sure there are hundreds of cables out there quietly turning to rust. I was lucky the return cable broke first and I was able to carry on riding with just one while I waited on a new pair from Italy >$100 for the pair with a discount. In hind site I think I should have oiled these OEM cables by making a hole through the Nylon sheath and wicking a light oil through the steel strands, protected against rust the cables should last the life of the bike.
For what its worth I think this is the result of sourcing parts from the lowest bidder, they never thought it through.
----------
I made a pair of replacement cables from stock using the old outer end fittings and screw on nipples these were well lubed with engine oil, hopefully I will never have to instal these.

« Last Edit: June 10, 2022, 10:36:40 AM by Kiwi_Roy »
17 V7III Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Moto Guzzi - making electricians out of riders since March 15 1921

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here