Recent Posts

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10
General Discussion / Re: V7 II Cylinder Knock
« Last post by Dirk_S on March 18, 2024, 01:31:13 PM »
Any updates?
I'm thinking I may have the same issue to resolve but no one knows the cause of the sound.

Not yet. Had to take a step back due to moving and a good load of freelance on the plate. My next attempt at locating the source will be replacing the rockers. I’ve since purchased a salvage V7 III, and want to try to fix the remedy the issue causing the chatter on the V7 II before I sell it.
General Discussion / Re: V7 II Cylinder Knock
« Last post by Stingray on March 18, 2024, 01:13:21 PM »
Any updates?
I'm thinking I may have the same issue to resolve but no one knows the cause of the sound.
General Discussion / New Battery for 850 T3
« Last post by tonyduc on March 18, 2024, 01:12:33 PM »
All
The battery I have used for the past 3 seasons always was a bit weak for cranking power but now it’s in decline. It’s a Yuasa YB16hlacx rated at 20ah(20hr) and 240A(CCA). I’ve seen posted elsewhere here that Cali owners have had luck with Odyssey's PC680. This would fit my T3, the 925 is a tight fit.
Haynes says the battery should be 32 A. Just curious what is the rating specification that matters, 20 hrs or CCA ? The specs for Odyssey pc 680 says 170 CCA, but Cali owners seem happy with it.

BTW, as far as charging the voltage at the battery terminals is 13.9 - 14.2 @ 2,000 rpm, so it seems my alternator is good.
Thanks
Tony
General Discussion / Re: Introductions thread...Introduce yourself to the group !
« Last post by MCRIV on March 18, 2024, 01:02:54 PM »
Matt
Age 47
From VA
Active Duty
1974 750S full restoration

The "brass thrust bearing" is only there for the roller needle cage, nothing else. If you add more than the original one, the outer race will be protruding from the housing.

I'm puzzled as to what you're trying to fix. Assembled the way they come from the factory, a properly shimmed and maintained rear drive will last 200k miles or more.
General Discussion / Re: Italian Cousin Moves in
« Last post by vintage53 on March 18, 2024, 12:29:18 PM »
Congratulations on the Vespa.   

My wife's 2021 75th Anniversary Primavera. 

I always want to ride it.  It always puts a smile on our face.
General Discussion / Re: V7II rear tire
« Last post by jcctx on March 18, 2024, 11:55:20 AM »
I always liked the round black ones!!  :>)
General Discussion / Re: Italian Cousin Moves in
« Last post by Griso8V on March 18, 2024, 11:23:33 AM »
I love Vespa's!  Yours is VERY nice!  Beautiful!  I always thought about getting one.
Good job!
Tony C
General Discussion / Re: Rear Gear box rebuild-which needle bearing type?
« Last post by John Croucher on March 18, 2024, 11:22:35 AM »
You are correct that you should load the crown wheel away from the pinion when checking contact patch. But you don't want to introduce a preload on the big bearing when it is in service.

I'm also used to finding the big bearing being an intimate fit on the ring gear and in the housing cover. None of the assembly is floating.

Remove the pinion gear, drop the crown gear mounted to the shaft into the needle bearing.  It comes to rest on the brass thrust bearing. 

If the crown gear mounted to the shaft is installed with the roller bearing seated on the shaft shoulder face and fully seated in the cover, the opposite end will not be touching the brass thrust bearing (on my gear box) .o52 inch. With the two paper gaskets and .050 shim. 

If the roller bearing is installed in the cover first, crown gear and shaft dropped into the needle bearing and resting on the thrust bearing, Cover with bearing installed on crown gear shaft, there is .052 clearance between the inner roller bearing race and the shaft shoulder face on the crown wheel shaft when the cover is installed. With the two paper gaskets and .050 shim 

The crown gear shaft has to be sandwiched between the brass washer and the inner race of the roller bearing seated on the crown wheel shaft shoulder face with some amount of clearance and no side loading.  .052 seems a little excessive with the shim installed. 

The procedure of installing the pinion and then raising or lowering the crown wheel with shims (and adjusting the pinion) raises or lowers the crown wheel shaft off or onto the thrust washer.  Allowing the shaft to float if the clearance is excessive.  To me, it looks like it is a combination of adding or removing brass thrust washers on the needle bearing end and shims in the cover to get proper positioning on the crown wheel and pinion and to make up for the end play of the crown gear shaft.

If there is clearance between the end of the crown wheel shaft and the brass bushing, the crown gear will be using the pinion gear as a stop instead of the brass bushing at the end. 

Installing the big bearing in the cover fully seated, the big bearing on the crown wheel shaft fully seated.  When the cover with the crown wheel is installed  using 2 paper gaskets to get .0025 end clearance between the thrust washer and the crown wheel shaft end.  Recheck the pinion to crown wheel fit.  A paper gasket is .0075 thick.  If I only use two, I get .0025 clearance between the end of the shaft and bushing. Since the crown wheel is pushed toward the big roller bearing under load, this small amount clearance should no allow excessive pressure on the pinion and crown gear if the shaft moves toward the thrust washer when not under a load. 

The brass thrust bearing is there to stop the crown gear and the pinion gears from being too tight or loose. The two gears are not suppose to be the side thrust stop when meshed. The inner race on the big gear and the thrust ring are.

General Discussion / Re: Irish food for St. Patrick’s Day
« Last post by Guzzistajohn on March 18, 2024, 10:52:34 AM »
My mother, even though not Italian, was a dreadful cook. However when it came to baking I never had better. The best part she was always baking something.
kk

I watched a youtube on colcannon. I'll be makin' that stuff! Maybe w/ boiled turnips when my harvest comes in  :thumb:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10
Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here