Author Topic: Orphan Convert Hack, Coming Back  (Read 1316 times)

Offline Vecchio Lupo

• Diplomatico Di Moto
  • Hatchling
  • "sounds like me"
Orphan Convert Hack, Coming Back
« on: January 15, 2023, 01:03:55 PM »
Well gang, Im not 100% sure I belong in major restorations, at least I hope I don't. I just dragged home this 77 Convert that had been set up for sidecar duty. I like sidecars, Ive owned several, but Im not sure this one is going to stay a 3 wheeler. Stored inside a dry garage for 5 years, since the owner passed away, last registered up to 2020, so he must have renewed just before passing. Its not butchered, but it has been disrespected. the lower frame rails have been modified to accept giant HD floor boards, the side stand is gone and parking brake relocated to right side, sidecar mount. Odd pieces are missing but not enough to get angry about. Here are the pictures of just after the unloading and before anything has been done. I have no idea which flywheel it has, or anything else for that matter. After I post this, Im off to secure a battery and start to see what's what. I won't Bragg about price but it was under 2k with a clear title.

Moto Guzzi "Going out of business since 1921"
Italian motorcycles are like Italian women,...sometimes they stab you for no reason.
RIP Harold "Dutch" Prattini ,...you taught me more than you know.

Offline Vecchio Lupo

• Diplomatico Di Moto
  • Hatchling
  • "sounds like me"
Re: Orphan Convert Hack, Coming Back
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2023, 04:52:51 PM »
Ive been on an eBay shopping spree (careful boy, there are limits) and sourced a side stand , floor boards, and an unmolested pair of lower frame rails (yes,Convert specific) . I also dropped a little bit at MG cycle and Im waiting for Curtis Harper to call me back (It's only been 3 days, Im not worried) So I can ask him a couple stupid questions before I make a bigger parts order with them. I opted for the premium 400ca battery from the distributor rather than the 300ca at autozone since you can't bump start a convert. Lastly Im eventually going to replicate an LAPD bike with lights and police radio, but in regards to windscreen, the Guzzi factory screen looks good. the American HD windscreens look ok and are priced fair, but the mounting escapes me at the moment. I thinking of using the G5/Cal II windscreen because Ive heard great things about it.
Italian motorcycles are like Italian women,...sometimes they stab you for no reason.

Offline Canuck750

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2023, 07:46:59 PM »
Your Convert looks to be in real nice shape, just dusty from storage, I bet it cleans up real nice. Good to see the original switch gear and the plastics look pretty good👍
48 Guzzi Airone, 57 Guzzi Cardellino, 65 Benelli 200 sprite, 66 Aermacchi Sprint, 68 Gilera 106 SS, 72 Eldorado, 72 Benelli 180, 74 Guzzi 750S, 73 Laverda SF1, 74  Benelli 650S, 75 Ducati 860GT, 75 Moto Morini 3-1/2, 78 Moto Morinii 500

Offline Scout63

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2023, 09:03:54 PM »
Looks like a great project.  Luckily for you G5/Convert body parts are at the low end of the MG price scale online. For me it’s the endless drip drip drip of new small parts that drives up restoration costs. Please post many pictures.
Ben Zehnder - Orleans, MA USA

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2023, 09:03:54 PM »

Offline Vecchio Lupo

• Diplomatico Di Moto
  • Hatchling
  • "sounds like me"
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2023, 02:42:38 PM »

PROGRESS REPORT:    The Convert started today, I removed the tank and drained the 5 years old gasoline. Hooked up a fuel source and a fresh battery and it started on choke without much drama, even ran fairly smooth. won't run off choke and carb started puking gas. So...carbs off, kits ordered...utrasonic cleaner fired up and we shall see. ATF was very pink and at correct level, oil was good for a first heat cycle although we did not achieve operating temp. Will try in a few days after carbs are done.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2023, 05:18:55 PM by Vecchio Lupo »

Online Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2023, 08:32:42 AM »
The ATF shouldn't really be "pink", but rather a burgundy color. Pink means it's been aerated, like when the hex piece driving the ATF pump rounds off. 
Charlie

Offline Vecchio Lupo

• Diplomatico Di Moto
  • Hatchling
  • "sounds like me"
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2023, 09:42:53 AM »
I'll take another look and give a better, more accurate report. Thank you for the information. At the time of checking it, the fluid had not been disturbed for at least 5 years. Great catch, thank again.

Online bigbikerrick

• Gaggle Hero
  • 73 Eldo, 98 V 11 ,12 Ural Gear Up, 76 Convert,
  • Location: Southeastern corner of Arizona, right next to "Old Mexico, and New Mexico"
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2023, 10:13:47 AM »
I think your project is going to turn out real nice. Its all there ,pretty much. be sure to replace all the ATF hoses, and other rubber bits that are "aged".  I just went through this with a 76 convert I have been restoring. They are fun projects, and very satisfying machines to work on.
I have owned a convert sidecar rig in the past, and they make great tugs. Please post lots of pictures, of your progress, as you restore it.
Rick D.
"You meet the most interesting people on a Guzzi"

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2023, 03:30:14 PM »
Did you drain the old oil and put in new stuff before firing it ?
 I don’t know much about older stuff, but I believe dropping the sump and de lousing it might be a thing to do.

Offline Vecchio Lupo

• Diplomatico Di Moto
  • Hatchling
  • "sounds like me"
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2023, 11:25:24 PM »
the oil looked and smelled good, so it was my intention to get the motor to cough and sputter, and build up just enough heat to loosen up some crud and junk. I don't need full blown operating temperature but warmed up a bit , then change. That's my plan anyway. I did remove the plugs and crack an oil line to confirm pressure before attempting to start. I just rebuilt the carbs today and Im hoping to start up tomorrow.Then service all fluids.

rebuilt carbs run as new... set the idle and mixtures by ear, settled down nice, smooth, pretty darn close if you ask me. I will actually check it and go through procedure but my money is Great Guzzi...No surprise though, no brakes, I didn't expect any, but it would have ben nice to only flush fluid instead of having to go through calipers and masteercylimders. now that I was able to warm her up a bit, fresh 20/50 dead dinosaurs and trans rear end and converter fluid is after the brakes.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2023, 02:45:36 PM by Vecchio Lupo »

Offline larrys

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2023, 07:18:00 AM »
Looks like a great project! The chair looks like a California sidecar. My first Guzzi was a '76 Convert with a different model California sidecar, silver just like yours. Came from an old guys estate, too. It was a good driving rig once I set it up.
Larry
'13 Monster 1100 EVO
'95 Cal 1100
'68 Bonneville

MGNOC 7248

Online bigbikerrick

• Gaggle Hero
  • 73 Eldo, 98 V 11 ,12 Ural Gear Up, 76 Convert,
  • Location: Southeastern corner of Arizona, right next to "Old Mexico, and New Mexico"
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2023, 12:36:53 PM »
I was thinking that sidecar may be a Velorex. :thumb: Nice rig, post some photos as you go through it.
Rick.
"You meet the most interesting people on a Guzzi"

Offline Vecchio Lupo

• Diplomatico Di Moto
  • Hatchling
  • "sounds like me"
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2023, 07:39:53 PM »
The sidecar was indeed a velorex Jawa. I sold it to a very nice fellow who wants to attach it to a triumph. I had to replace the stamped steel flywheel with a NOS cast flywheel. what a tough job that was adjusting the runout on the converter. Thanks to several members here who talked me though it. I finally have all the correct lights and brackets to go back to police trim. I will paint very soon.

Offline larrys

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2023, 08:37:10 AM »
I was thinking that sidecar may be a Velorex. :thumb: Nice rig, post some photos as you go through it.
Rick.

Yeah, you're right. I should know better, had a Velorex 562 on a '69 Bonneville.
Larry
'13 Monster 1100 EVO
'95 Cal 1100
'68 Bonneville

MGNOC 7248

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here